Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Ideas please.

Hi Ladies

I look after a 3.5 year old ( started a month ago) and im not kidding you, all she wants to do is play with dolls/prams or role play with them. I have offered painting, playdoh, creative all the usual stuff but she will just attempt it for literally a few seconds and then find the dolls. Ive tried, painting and given her doll a brush and tried to include the doll in everything to see if it helps but no. Tried puzzles with dolls, dolls in the water play , eveything but she is only interested in doing her own thing. Should I just leave her????
    I have an Ofsted inspection soon and would like to know what would be the best way for me to approach it or encourage other play. Im assuming Ofsted wont be happy if all she sees is her playing with dolls all day and not interacting with anything or anyone else. Also for her own development I think she should be diversifying.
    Spoke to mum and she siad shes the same at home.
    Im totally lost on this one, please help, any comments or ideas appreciated

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help! Ideas please.

I had a similer thing with a boy with cars (how stereo typical) i did what u have done, painting with car wheels etc, i also did obs directed at getting D to trty new things when ofsted came she said that was fine and could see i was giving him all the oppotunities etc - good luck x

Sept 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

what about drawing around dollys,making paper dollies,measuring dollys,washing line to peg dollys clothes on,make dollys bed,big bed little bed ,make sunshade to keep dolly out of sun etc,she is learning all the time and obviously happy,next month she might want to draw and paint.Once she has been with you for a bit longer and got used to you she might be more willing to try other things, i wouldnt worry to much as long as ofsted can see that you are giving her other opportunities you wont have a problem.

A sudden thought set up a baby and mummy clinic ,get her to help you make signs etc ,using pictures of babies ,toys from catalogue,scales ,measuring tape,make books for dollies,see if you can take her along to baby clinic,

hama bead necklaces and bracelets for dolls might only last for 2-3 mins but thats to be expected for a 3year old . Hope this makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Some lovely ideas from Margaret.

She is only 3, is happy and engaged in what she's doing so to me it's fine - why try to fix what isn't broken?

You can show you've offered her other things but, for the moment, this is where her interests lie.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Sept 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Another brainwave (i have looked after loads of girls in past but have 5 boys at present and fed up with thomas tank,postman pat etc ,would love a girl that plays with dollies)

what about book with miss polly had a dolly rhyme (ladybird do one),lead her on to playing doctors and nurses ,show her how to bandage ,talk about signs dangers of taking pills medicines ,make signs e.g dangerous,poisonous,using colour red for danger, another brilliant book "Doctor Miaows Big Emergeny" ,talk about numers we dial in an emergency,pharmacy -small ,big containers etc-maths,make get well cards .

Have fun

Apr10
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the bit that really bugs me about EYFS and us trying to get mindees to participate in each area of learning. Shes happy and contented, why can't we just leave her to do what she's doing.As long as we make sure resources are openly available should she decide to do a different activity then we shouldn't need to push it.

My DD is 8yrs old and exactly the same.doll mad.I've always had pens paper out, jigsaws in view plus other toys ect and she's always known she could get them if she wanted.I never planned structured activities for her and just left her to play.She's no worse off for it and is a very well balanced child and I have school reports to back me up lol

do like all the above ideas though
    Last edited by moljak; 03-08-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: off my soapbox now

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Many Thanks everyone. Some great ideas Margaret.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What you need to remember is that you meet the majority of the learning and development goals of the Eyfs through your daily routines...

So there is no huge pressure to plan more experiences if a child is busy playing.

The only time I would leap in there with extra themed activities is if she was bored or there's something you can do related to her interest like Margaret and others suggest

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Bath the dolls this may introduce water play. She can learn so much with playing with dolls as Margaret has already mentioned.
    Avril x