Can you check this, any suggestions pls?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you check this, any suggestions pls?

Hi
    OK, I found this forum - best thing ever, ofsted said I needed to change paperwork from parents speak diaries to more formal observations in learning folders- so just sorted that out - parents not so impressed and am trying to keep them on side. Had great help here and there are so many ideas - I keep reading everything and now not sure if I I am doing more than I need - will this sytem I have made work?

Learning journey folder: split areas learning with A4 sheets (decorative borders) + pogo pics and sticky label obs, I can add childrens artwork.
    Also have section in front general blurb re: EYFS in parent speak and how links to EYFS categories... Thought I should put section for links to other agencies... (but haven't got any right now)

For new people I will start off with an All About me Sheet

Could have a sheet called my family or people who are important to me with space for pics family supply.

Also doing a learning journey sheet for planned activity with pics etc (off EYFS CD) This gets filed in main area learning, date order. How often meant to do these? I only did one this week for 3 children

I've got a skills update sheet for regular contact with parents or for when they've been on holiday - always had these and they work. How often would you give these out - every 8weeks? half term? (I have 7 dif children all age 20mths-3yrs).

I have the dev matters grids which are marked off and link to the observations.

I have a weekly plan for the setting split into days/wk and area learn with space for spontaneous stuff which I put in my diary where I put anything about my business admin I need to do (brain like a seive)

But should I do Individual learning plan for each child? If so split into each area of learn with a "target" for each area and note on how we'll support it or just general target? Not sure I can maintain it all for 7 children . I know it would need parent feedback box on bottom.

Really could do with some opinions - you start to not be able to see wood for trees - there's so many different ways of doing things. Does anyone know what meets the requirments and is acheivable with 7 LO's please?
    (and if you made it to the end of this long post - you deserve a medal!)
    Last edited by fridaysoff; 26-02-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can you check this, any suggestions pls?

I think you are doing loads and for me too much. All the planning is yours and I don't put this in the learning journals but it is down to you

I think what you are doing looks great
    Debbie

moogster1a Guest

sounds to me like you're doing too much already. Did you query why you needed to change / do even more. Do these people not notice they're walking into a house for childmindin, not an intensive revision/ education college.

Nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi debbie,

thank you for replying - I see your posts on here so much - almost feel like I know you!! HA ha

Do you do these learning journey sheet things? I am finding it too much when I have to come back to it to write it afterwards because we have done something completely different -Got some on the table leering at me now - don't want to do it !! I HATE PAPERWORK! ..... Unless Ofsted are coming - then of course I'm all for it!

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree sounds like your doing way too much

Do what works for you x
    IS BACK

Nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Good! What shall I scrap??

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a scrap book, all about me sheets and family page at front. I put in photos with captions, some for obs so link to learning areas, some have next steps. I keep a page for each holiday mindee has ie, summer/christmas so parents can add things too. Development matter sheets are seperate as stages high lighted when reached. Scrap book and dm sheets kept together in a zip wallet on shelf. The scrap books are more of a memory book, each photo shows some sort of learning experience and the captions tell this also. The dm grids can be passed on to next provider and parents get a nice book not too full of eyfs talk but still showing the childs learning journey. Art work also goes in, I don't split it into sections as often more than one learning area is shown. I also jot down info from parents from daily diaries if it regards a new skill or interest the child has. I add an assessment every 3-4 months of the childs overall development, changes and generally how the child is getting on.
    Last edited by green puppy; 26-02-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am putting together an illustrated e-book at the moment!

I am using loads of information I have pulled from Ofsted reports to make sure it contains everything that childminders need...

And while a lot of very experienced members are telling you that you are doing too much, everything you have listed up top is part of the new e-book!! So we must be doing something right between us

Oh apart from the photos of family members idea which I might just steal!! I would always say 'family' rather than 'parents' to be inclusive btw.

Hth

Nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

ah Interesting.... but question is how do you get it all done - sarah - which do you think re: childs learning plan then? general or by each area of learn. Is it possible to get away with a more general learn plan as I have just tried to fill out a couple for each area and it is v time consuming.

Also while you're on (he he ) what is your opinion on this:

3 year olds - heavily into dinosaurs - so I planned make a scene with cardboard box to take home. Loved it. Left to dry and add other bits next day. So I was going to carry on the Learning plan sheet as I had done a plan for this activity.... next day came, in a dif room I had also set outa weighing station (as for valentines we did Queen hearts jam tarts) and everyone loved the weighing bit. All good. Weighing station was so engrossing, they asked for bowls, I offerred cookbooks, then we were making a potato bake.... so it was spontaneous - no plan - (am I supposed to do another learn journ sheet for that... (please say no!!) but seriously how do you go about documenting these spontaneous things that grow.

(yes I agree with the family/ parents bit, I actualy did this activity on a series of posters with LO's we titled it "People who are important to me" because I ended up on a couple. (that's when phtotoshop comes into its own!!)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Once the system is set up it doesn't actually take long... just a few minutes writing things up when the children are playing.

I use both group and individual planning... group because I have a house full of children all part time and different ages and without something in place there would be chaos... and individual because I follow children's interests.

I document things the children do as part of writing up their notes... again it doesn't take long, I just scribble when they are playing.

I think the trick is in the system you set up for yourself. If it works for you then go with it, if it doesn't then change it!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fridaysoff View Post
    Hi debbie,

thank you for replying - I see your posts on here so much - almost feel like I know you!! HA ha

Do you do these learning journey sheet things? I am finding it too much when I have to come back to it to write it afterwards because we have done something completely different -Got some on the table leering at me now - don't want to do it !! I HATE PAPERWORK! ..... Unless Ofsted are coming - then of course I'm all for it!
    I don't do daily diaries. I have a folder split into the 6 areas of learning where I have the EYFS sheets in development/age order rather than the whole lot running together. I use the first 3 boxes as the EYFS and the 4th is blank where I write the evidence of why I think the child is at the stage.

I have an observation sheet and I use this and post it notes and odd scribbles to fill in the above

The other sections of my LJ are Activites, working with parents and working with other professionals and finally a sheet where I jot down notes containing information that the parents or other settings have told me.

My planning is Long Term (2 yearly rotating themes), Medium Term (monthly routines and 2 activities around themed planning) and on this I write anything done which the child has an interest in. A lot of the time my planning goes out of the window.

Hope that all makes sense.
    Debbie

Nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks very much for replying and sharing everyone ... I'm just gonna have to try it out I spose, behind already - but I think because I'm still setting up the files at the same time. Just worried about trying this out and again finding it's too much - gets depressing and demotivating when it builds up.

got to keep positive ! (can we have a false smile or a grimmace smiley on here please!!)

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do daily diary that goes home with nappy changes etc in, learning journey for each child with: child record sheet, all about me pages that parents fill in, photo diary with photos of activities - not all of them but try to make sure one of each area across a month, photo obs with next steps - one a monthish, EYFS section taken from Sarah's Ebook of ages and stages.

I also keep permissions for photos, outings, park play etc etc in the back.

Planning is 2 weekly and each sheet starts with a notes section on child's interests from last 2 weeks and then ideas for next 2 weeks but I keep it seperate to the learning journeys.

It works for me and I know where I am with it