Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Did EYFS training today

I had my EYFS training today run by Surrey County Council.

I have to say that I quite enjoyed myself......I like to get the opportunity to meet up with some of my other childminding friends....you do tend to see the same faces on these courses....don't we Mary (mjw)?

As I do give up my valuable time I do try to make the best of any course that I go on and try to enjoy it instead of being resentful of having to be there.

Anyway s I said we had a good day today. It was split into 3 different workshops -

Letters & Sounds (about nursery rhymes and rhyming words etc)
    Development (How children develope and how to use the Practice Guidence)
    Observations (How & what is expected of you)

Although I did feel that some of it was a bit like teaching grandma to suck eggs I could understand why they did it because obviously there are some people out there who haven't done what I have or have the experience that I have.

Up until now I haven't really looked too much at EYFS as I was due my inspection and knew that I needed to stick to the 14 standards and B23.

I have spent the last couple of days going through it all and obviously did the training today.

I have come away in a very positive frame of mind and feel very confident that I will be able to implement EYFS fairly easily as it just means that I have to tweak a few things here and there as I have already been doing most of the stuff for the last couple of years under B23.

I actually think that EYFS is easier than B23 was as it gives more examples of how to implement.

Most of what they are asking you to do you should already be doing anyway the only difference is that it will be statutory to record the observations.

Yes it does mean extra paperwork for those who has never recorded them before or keep a development file on the children.

If a child is with you on a full time basis but you are only expected to do 2-3 very small observations each child in a week....if the child is only with you for a couple of days you will probably only have to do 1-2 observations.

The idea of sticky labels was given as an example which I actually thought was a very good idea. If you imagine the size of a sticky label then there isn't really mountains that you have to write.

In the example you had a clipboard with a sheet of 6 labels for each child.... One for each developmental area.

Personal social & Emotional development (PSED)
    Communication Language & Literacy (CLL)
    Problem Solving, Reasoning & Numeracy (PSRD)
    Knowledge & understanding of the world (KUW)
    Physical development (PD)
    Creative Development (CD)

The idea is that you complete your short observation and when you can (maybe at the end of the week) you transfer the label to the individual records.

From these observations you could assess what the next step would be and how the child can develop further. You do not have to do this for every observation you make just a few.

If you wanted to you could then plan what you would do to help the child achieve the next step which will help with your monthly planning. Again you do not need to do this for every observation.

As I said I am in a much more positive frame of mind and am happy to start implementing EYFS in the next couple of weeks.

What was also nice is that we had a really nice goodie bag at the end full of really good resources.
    Last edited by deeb66; 23-02-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Did EYFS training today

It's nice to hear someone being so positive about EYFS. You make me feel happier about it too just from reading your thread!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That sounds really positive Dee! Thank you for sharing!

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dee, you make it sound less frightening. I have my EYFS training in March and will go with a much more positive mind.
    Cherry x

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it was very helpful Dee x

Me and Hazel are due to go on a full day EYFS on 15th March and it sounds like it will be very similar to your training , hope we find it as useful x

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dee that sounds simple enough

At least you were not bored stiff either

Thanks for sharing

Speak later

Angel xx

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing and giving us a bit of insight Dee, Stoke early years have not even put any training days on yet , until the next training program is issued in April, can you imagine what an almighty scramble that's going to be.

Helen

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine's on the 1st March so I don't feel so worried about it now from what you've said.

I just hope there's someone I know there this time

The goody bag sounds good

Thanks for telling us

Carol xx

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nell57 View Post
    Thanks for sharing and giving us a bit of insight Dee, Stoke early years have not even put any training days on yet , until the next training program is issued in April, can you imagine what an almighty scramble that's going to be.

Helen

Are you not Staffordshire early years then??

As I'm on mine in Leek on 1st March

Carol xx

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charleyfarley View Post
    Are you not Staffordshire early years then??

As I'm on mine in Leek on 1st March

Carol xx
    No I'm under stoke early years, they are separate from moorlands. Its really frustrating they not put any training on yet, seen as how important subject it is.

I had a feeling you were under a different one than me., would have been nice to meet on a course and put faces to names.

Helen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dee you make it sound straightforward

I'm booked on my training in May so hope it's as good as yours sounded

Miffy xx

jan 07
    Post Thanks / Like

i do mine next sat on 1st march

i had a letter yesterday to say wear appropriate clothing for both messy and outdoor play!!!!!!

cathy

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you enjoyed it Dee and also glad to hear that its not as scary as im thinking it is!!

xx
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks in wirral are training is on next saturday and we actually get 50 pounds for attending its sounds like it was quite interesting
    Linxx

Pipsqueak Guest

I am glad you have found it such a postive experience Dee and its great that there is some good feedback coming through.

We are yet to have some training (I have done a little for my support minding role but not much).

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Will they be giving us the development books like they did in the birth to three. I glad you think it will not be to hard to pass over from B23 to EYFS. Do mine on 8th march

JUNE 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mine in march too. Nice to hear that it dont seem too bad. I keep hearing stories from other childminders and i am starting to worry about extra paperwork etc

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As Dee said earler the training today was not bad at all. Infact some bits were very helpful and we now have a better idea about the recording that is needed.....not as much as we first thought. It is a bit like when B23 first appeared and everyone was unsure what was expected.
    Lots to take in from today. But it was quite a giggle too....always is with Dee!!

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done 2 two hours courses 3rd week after next thats about observation
    also have a EYFS workshop next week our county are also putting on several other workshop/courses covering all the areas i have 4 in the next few months.
    Thanks Dee the more i attend or read about i feel better about it. Just the extra paperwork it will involve.

Angela
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have got some training on the 15th March, it is a full day session so will be interesting to see if it works the same way as some of the other ones done. Our area have also been invited to attend Pilot Drop-in Sessions to be held in the East Staffs Children's Centre (where our Network is based) to enable us to ask any questions we may have and to sahre our views on how the Early Years and Childcare team can support us through the changes. Luckily I am on holiday on the first day so hopefully I will be able to go along (next Friday) and see what they have to say.

A message for Sarah, I have received my ebooks from you to-day, thank you very much, I have had a quick look and decided I need to spend a nice quiet afternoon taking in all the fantastic work you have done for everyone.

Sorry for the long post, but I am relatively new to this and find I get carried away.
    Teacake2
    (Margaret)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast