Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Evaluating Activities

Hello

I've just had my pre-registration visit and the inspector asked if I 'evaluate my activities' with the children. (I am currently a nanny).

To be honest I'm a bit stumped as to what she means. ( I've just about managed to grasp the concept of Observation, Assessment & Planning but this evaluation thing has thrown me).

Has anyone come across this before? I can't seem to find any reference to activity evaluation on the EYFS CD or anywhere else for that matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jul 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Evaluating Activities

For evaluating the activity I talked about reflecting on how that particular activity had gone - did it go as planned? any problems? were the children interested? could all the children participate? what did the children gain from it? how could i change things to make it more successful?

On my planning sheets I set out what the activity is, resources, what i intend children to learn, individual needs and at the end, evaluation of that activity. Showed my inspector that at pre-reg stage and she was happy with it. (Just gotta see if it works when I am actually minding now )

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted pulled me up on this and to be honast now I do it, it makes much better sense. Attached is a copy of my short term plan for individual children. I plan in the first 2 columns then after the activity evaluate and plan next steps. If there is anything to observe, I write it on a seperate observation form.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a folder into which I put some of the main or new activities we have done. EG

Snowflakes-cutting paper

all children with support used scissors to cut out their circles they had made by drawing around a bowl. They then folded the paper and snipped bits of paper out at various places.

M-opened and shut fingers whilst holding scissors

L-snipped paper by himself

Lu-needed support in holding and using scissors

Children were engaged in this activity

Continue to support use of scissors and provide activities to use them.

This is one of the basic evaluations I have done. Sometimes I will put points into the areas of the EYFS too but this was one of the Xmas activities and there was rather a lot to write about!

so for cake making the EYFS groups were as follows

PSE..taking turns,developing independance

CLL..talking about what we were doing,asking questions

PSRN..counting,looking at numbers,sharing,weights

KUW..how the runny mixture changed when we added flour

PD..fine motor skills,mixing and spooning

CD.. mixing and icing cakes

hope this helps.
    Come back David....

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi All

Thank you so much for your really helpful replies. I will definitely put your comments and feedback to use.

Incidentally, the Pre-Registration Inspector called me today (to make sure I'd made my greenhouse safe) and I ran the question past her. She said exactly what you three guys said.

So yipee, that's another EYFS issue that is suddenly much clearer.

What a brilliant website!!!!