trajectory schema
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trajectory schema

I have identified that the 23 month old I mind learns using the trajectory (throwing) schema.

Any ideas how I can encourage this, but stop him throwing toys at other children, or over the fence.
    Last Friday we lost 3 balls, a frisbee, a paint brush and 2 books into next doors garden, and had one cut lip from a mobile phone being throw at another child.

I don't want to tell him off, as I know this is an important learning method for him, but I have to tone it down a bit.

Any ideas?

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: trajectory schema

at 23 months they understand and i would tell him off he throws things at innapropriate times! i know most, if not all children go through a throwing phase, but toys thrown at other people is a big no no in my books. Try and incorporate lots of throwing games for him outside or in an area of the house away from other people. my LO likes to throw rolled up socks into the washing basket or rolling a ball at soft skittles.

Post Thanks / Like

There might be a few ideas here

http://www.visionwebsites.co.uk/Cont...NavSideId=8920

Miffy xx

june 86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

been on that great

ziller

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have done loads of research on schemas - they are one of my fave subjecs and I've just finished a book about them.

My favourite schemas site is the Exeter one Miffy has mentioned.

Throwing is usually linked to straight lines so anything from fire station visit to see the ladders to water play will be popular

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just looked on that website and identified that my 14 month old mindee has the scattering schema!! But she doesnt like messy play, like it suggests, so will get the ball pool out instead.

Thanks for that link!
    Helen

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

what about a net in the middle of the garden for him to throw things over rather than him throwing over the fence.

In the house I have used spongy dice and balls to encourage them to learn the difference between throwing hard and soft things safely.

Golf clubs/racquets and balls were popular with one of mine who had this schema. He could wallop a golf ball with an almost professional stance and whack, impressed my ofsted inspector!

Try playing ball with him or encourage him by saying, look how high/far it went. Put an empty paddling pool out for him to try to throw the balls into?

Good luck. This is a difficult one to manage indoors. We just spent a lot of time outside!

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I find playing with balloons great for this!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid I agree with Sweets on this one. If I had a 23mth old throwing a moblie phone they would be strongly discouraged from doing that again. (not that any of my mindees could get at a moblie phone) Also throwing things into next doors garden or hitting other children with objects being thrown, is a big no, no. Maybe I will get a lot of criticism for this but I believe children have got to learn boundries.

With a child like this they would not have books in the garden unless we were all sitting looking and reading them.

I would have skittles out and encourage the rolling of the ball rather than throwing up all the time. Hit a ball, again, along the ground with a little plastic golf club or a sturdy plastic racket into a goal. Throw into a bucket. Use bean bags that don't bounce! A paddling pool with balls in.

Oh an maybe a higher fence?

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all your ideas.
    Since I first posted he has improved a bit, I think it was just a bad day for him.
    We have played with balloons a lot, and throwing things into washing baskets.
    He has also learnt that we only throw balls, nothing else.
    (Rickysmiths - The mobile phone was an old one that we use in the role play area, not my working one, they wouldn't get hold of that)