HOLIDAY PASSPORT FOR A PRETEND HOLIDAY
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HOLIDAY PASSPORT FOR A PRETEND HOLIDAY

I have had heaps of messages about this so thought it just easier to post in the forum rather than to email it to everyone

We are going on a " pretend holiday " every week of the holidays and the children are deciding where we will go

We have made our own passports A4 size so they are nice and big for the younger ones
    We have some plane tickets to print out and off we go

We are then going to concentrate on finding lots of information about the place we visit we are also planning a visit to the travel agents to get books to cut out - it could be a different country that you visit or it could be somewhere local that we visit for a day
    We will do lots of research and write about where we stay and what we will need and what the weather is going to be like and what clothes etc we will need to take with us

The kids have each got a folder ( 5 for a pound at asda ) and this is their brief case this will hold their passport and the information that they find out
    You could also make a suitcase with a shoe box maybe

You can extend this activity lots of ways yourself - make some money - cooking something from the country you visit etc etc

Put commercial and child-made posters on the wall showing a selection of holiday destinations such as the seaside; snowy resorts; hot cities; water parks; theme parks; and cruises on boats. Hang a large calendar on the wall, at child-height, for the children to find real or imaginary holiday dates. Provide a globe, atlas and maps for the children to identify different places around the world.

Role-play area; commercial and child-made items such as holiday brochures and destination posters; calendars; adverts and leaflets featuring hotels, bed and breakfast, caravans and campsites; globe; atlas; maps; low-level tables; bookshelves; toy till; real or pretend money; dressing-up clothes; computer with printer (optional).

Create a holiday catalogue.

What about if you draw a large picture of a plane or a train and put pictures of the kids looking out of the windows for your notice board ?

Use a large picture of a plane and discuss it with the children

Personal, Social and Emotional Development

Explore the picture together and encourage the children to recall memories of flying to holiday destinations. Who did they travel with? Where did they go? Extend the discussion to include other forms of transport relevant to the children in your setting.

Invite the children to say what they like best about air travel and discuss any anxieties that they may have about the size and noise of aircraft and the sensation of flying.

Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy

Play a dice game with six children and one adult using the picture and circular photographs to determine the order that everyone can board the aeroplane. For example, the first person to throw a 1 can get on the aeroplane first, the first person to throw a 2 can get on the aeroplane second and so on. Continue until all the children are on board.

Pose problems involving addition and subtraction, for example, ‘How many round windows on the aeroplane have faces in them? How many are empty? How many windows are there altogether?’. Put photographs in all of the round windows, then ask, ‘How many people will be left if two get off?’. Remove two photographs and let the children count to check.

Physical Development

Encourage the children to become aircraft designers. Let them experiment with card, paint, circular printing objects and drawing materials for their designs.

After discussing the picture, draw a chalk landing strip outdoors and pretend to be aeroplanes taking off, flying to holiday destinations and returning to land again. Join the children on their journeys, singing ‘We’re going on a holiday, flying on a plane, visiting (chosen destination) and flying back again!’. Point out features such as oceans and snowy mountains.

Knowledge and Understanding of the World

Talk with the children about different places that the aeroplane might fly to take people on holiday, such as tropical islands, big cities, safaris and so on.

Explore model aeroplanes and photographs of air travel on websites, posters and books, and compare them with the image on the picture. Point out features such as the ‘nose’, ‘tail’, ‘wing’ and ‘engine’. Why might an aeroplane have wings and engines?

Make model aeroplanes from recycled materials and hang them up as mobiles.

Creative Development

Provide equipment for the children to create a small-world airport to take tiny characters on holiday.

Look at the picture as inspiration for the creation of a roleplay make aeroplanes outdoors using equipment such as crates, boxes and planks. Use the children’s photographs to create passports and checking-in tickets for the role-play area.

Communication, Language and Literacy

Make a name card for each child and put them into a bag. Play‘Who is travelling today?’. Take turns to pull a card out of the bag, identify the child’s name and put a circular photograph of that child in a window on the picture.
    Discuss and pretend where the children on the picture might be going and then ask individual children where they would like to go on their holiday. Invite them to draw a picture of themselves going on holiday, and help them to describe the caption, for example, ‘I am going on holiday to Spain’.

You could extend these ideas with lots of ideas from different websites

More ideas .....

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/sch...the_whole_unit

PASSPORT AND PLANE TICKETS DOWNLOADED HERE
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by angeldelight; 21-07-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HOLIDAY PASSPORT FOR A PRETEND HOLIDAY

Wow, wow and wow again Angel!!

What an absolutely brilliant idea, thank you sooooooo much for sharing this wonderful information and attachments

Can I come and play at your house today please? Not minding today!!

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That is fantastic Angel thank you

Need to get some colour ink for printer so I can print it off though, change that I now need black too

We can make a start on the info though.

Happy holidays everyone

Carol xx
    Last edited by charleyfarley; 21-07-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a million times over. Was going to pm you but thought you might have had a few requests so was going to wait as I don't have any mindees this hols.

Just the sort of thing I like to do
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

July 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Angel

Thank you so much for your Holiday Passport ideas, it is absolutely FANTASTIC . . . you are the best!

Just waiting for my certificate as I have mindees wanting to start second week in August . . . now cant wait to start.

Lovies
    Tam

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

thats great hun, thanks

will be loads of fun
    IS BACK

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow

Thanks so much for sharing that, thats a great idea

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much Angel, this is really brilliant and thanks again for
    sharing.

HELEN 10

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for those Angel. They are fab and im sure the kids will have loads of fun with them
    Fiona xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    *OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great Angel.

Reminded me of the passports I ordered last year which had loads of info in including stickers etc. here's the link I think you can order as many as you like I asked for 10 and they sent 20.

http://www.europe.org.uk/passport/
    ƸӜƷ* Hello Kitty *ƸӜƷ

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing this on the basis of the world travellers from sarah's books. Today we have visited China. We have made a chinese restaurant....with decorations the children made. Made Panda bear faces. Listened to music on you tube and got the instruments out to play along side. Done dressing up etc.........loads more tomorrow!. Made our passports last week x
    Monkey by Name........Monkey by Nature!

Oct '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

how blimmin cool is that!!!!!!!!!!
    To the world you are one person, but to one person, you are the world.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

oh thats lovely what a great idea, my oldies will love that..... and my 20 month old will too as she loves sticking anything with a glue stick, better get sorted tonight to start tomorrow..... thanks angel

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have so far done the passports.

Cut out and coloured doll templates (holiday clothes).

Now I want the children to colour in different amounts of Euros. Can anyone point me in the right direction - I have had a look but can't find any.

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Angel, I'm going on my holiday tomorrow (cruise round the Mediterranean ) and I told the children I would collect lots of information about the islands we stop at so we can go on pretend holidays when I get back.

This will help a lot, we've already got holiday brochures to cut up and we've been looking at the places I'll be travelling to on the internet.
    Cherry x

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi RedDragon

I can only find these on Sparklebox

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/toolbar/...14/sb2054.html
    Cherry x

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. You are soooo clever

Post Thanks / Like

WOW absolutely superb. Thank you for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Angel, June and I got together today and made the passports with our mindees! as most of them were too young to write they cut out pictures of where they would like to go, things they would see, how they would travel ie, car, boat, plane etc and stuck them on. They had great fun!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

wow what a great idea i think i may have to do something similar with my kids I can't believe you have taken one idea made it last you the whole summer and managed to addapt it to all 6 learning area .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast