Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A CHILDMINDER NOT WANTING TO DO EYFS

Exemption from EYFS learning goals is rejected

By Catherine Gaunt, Nursery World, 20 May 2009

A childminder from Warrington is believed to be the first person to have her application for exemption from the EYFS early learning goals turned down.
    Pat Adams, a childminder for more than 20 years, said she still wanted to continue childminding and would be 'very sad' if she had to give up, but felt that she had to make a stand because she objects to the EYFS being statutory and believes it should be used only as guidance.

She said she had seriously considered giving up childminding before the EYFS was brought in last September, but with the full backing of the parents of the children she cares for had decided to apply for exemption from the EYFS learning and development requirements instead.

Mrs Adams heard that her application had been rejected in a letter from the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority two weeks ago. Her application was turned down because the evidence she provided was not considered sufficient to show that her beliefs about young children's early education were in conflict with the EYFS early learning goals.

The QCA stated, 'In your case you have not been able to demonstrate that you are unable to secure that your early years provision meets the early learning goals because it is governed by established principles relating to the learning and development of young children which cannot be reconciled with the early learning goals.'

The letter said that she should inform parents of QCA's decision.

Mrs Adams told Nursery World, 'I am not giving up childminding immediately but will continue working in the same way and will wait until my next Ofsted inspection and see what the outcome of that will be. If Ofsted downgrade me to inadequate I will be extremely upset, because I know their decision will be based on paperwork and not on the quality of my childcare.'

She said she knew of at least three other childminders with similar views to herself who would be prepared to leave the profession if they are downgraded in their Ofsted inspections.

She added, 'Parents just want someone to look after their children and know that they are safe and cared for. They don't want formal learning - they want a home-from-home environment. '

'There's too much written assessment in the EYFS,' she added. 'I'm doing all the paperwork that I feel is necessary. I'm continually observing the children, but I'd rather tell the parents than write it down. Parents tell me that they can see their child is doing well and don't need a piece of paper to tell them.'

Mrs Adams said she intended to submit another application for exemption.

The QCA confirmed that it had received three applications for exemption so far and none had been granted to date.

A spokesperson said, 'We aim to respond to providers with a decision within 12 weeks. Most decisions will take less time than this, but very complex applications may take longer.'

A DCSF spokesperson said, 'Childminders have a vital role to play, and we know they are valued by many parents for the unique type of childcare they provide. The EYFS is based on the advice of qualified early years professionals and we consulted widely on it - and it’s supported by the National Childminding Association who say the EYFS is a positive development.
    'The EYFS is not about paperwork and bureaucracy it does not prescribe how anything should be recorded. The EYFS expects practitioners to observe children's progress and respond appropriately to help them to take the next steps in their development and make progress towards the early-learning goals. Observational assessment is something a good practitioner will already be doing as part of their everyday practice.'

Angel xx

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Re: A CHILDMINDER NOT WANTING TO DO EYFS

Thank you for that Angel. Very interesting!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That does make interesting reading.

I have to say, I do think there should be 2 sorts of childminder - the ones who want to provide an EYFS setting & the ones who don't.

Personally, I enjoy EYFS, but I don't understand why all children in childcare HAVE to be included. Children who stop at home with parents & don't attend any sort of childcare setting aren't subject to EYFS, so why should all children in childcare be?

I can fully understand that there should be standards that settings have to meet, but what is the advantage of having a 6 month old baby on a learning journey? Surely the standards should be based more on safety than on what the children are achieving.

I think parents should be able to chose between a childcare setting that offers EYFS and one that offers good quality childcare with the emphasis still on having fun through play, but without the assessments, planning etc. It really isn't important to a lot of parents who just want to know that their child is well looked after & has fun.

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That does make interesting reading.

I have to say, I do think there should be 2 sorts of childminder - the ones who want to provide an EYFS setting & the ones who don't.

Personally, I enjoy EYFS, but I don't understand why all children in childcare HAVE to be included. Children who stop at home with parents & don't attend any sort of childcare setting aren't subject to EYFS, so why should all children in childcare be?

I can fully understand that there should be standards that settings have to meet, but what is the advantage of having a 6 month old baby on a learning journey? Surely the standards should be based more on safety than on what the children are achieving.

I think parents should be able to chose between a childcare setting that offers EYFS and one that offers good quality childcare with the emphasis still on having fun through play, but without the assessments, planning etc. It really isn't important to a lot of parents who just want to know that their child is well looked after & has fun.
    I think Mouse makes some good points.

With regard to the reply this woman got from QCA i have trouble understanding what they mean, its all wrapped up in gobbledegook!
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmmmm......That made interesting reading.

Oct '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

surely she doesnt have to give it up??? just take on the over 5's???? or am i being thick??
    To the world you are one person, but to one person, you are the world.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry still cannot see what all the fuss is about.

The EYFS states that you have to do observations but it doesn't state that paperwork is involved. As long as you can tell the inspector where each child is within the areas of learning you have covered the required elements. Whether anyone can do this without written evidence is another matter

The childminder said that she would continue obs so what is her problem?
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    Sorry still cannot see what all the fuss is about.

The EYFS states that you have to do observations but it doesn't state that paperwork is involved. As long as you can tell the inspector where each child is within the areas of learning you have covered the required elements. Whether anyone can do this without written evidence is another matter

Yes, in theory you don't have to do paperwork, but does anyone really believe that an Ofsted inspector would be very impressed if they turned up to a minder who had no paperwork other than the very basic that's required? Most of us want to do well and that inevitably means paperwork.

I don't see why there can't be another type of childcare (not called a childminder), that is basically a step or so above a babysitter. That's what some people want to do - look after children, but without the rigmarole that goes with it. It would still need to be regulated & standards set, but without EYFS and the need for grades etc. That's what a lot of older childminders used to do & I know several who have quit childminding over the years as they don't want to adopt the new policies & procedures. They offered fabulous childcare, but didn't want to get involved in everything that goes with it these days.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that, quite interesting

Pipsqueak Guest

Yes, in theory you don't have to do paperwork, but does anyone really believe that an Ofsted inspector would be very impressed if they turned up to a minder who had no paperwork other than the very basic that's required? Most of us want to do well and that inevitably means paperwork.

I don't see why there can't be another type of childcare (not called a childminder), that is basically a step or so above a babysitter. That's what some people want to do - look after children, but without the rigmarole that goes with it. It would still need to be regulated & standards set, but without EYFS and the need for grades etc. That's what a lot of older childminders used to do & I know several who have quit childminding over the years as they don't want to adopt the new policies & procedures. They offered fabulous childcare, but didn't want to get involved in everything that goes with it these days.

Yes but then you are going to get a two tier system - with two tier rates - and who are the parents going to go for..... the cheaper option! It will be taking the profession back over won't it. Childminders are nowt more than a day babysitter and then you have got the reputation that we are striving so hard to get away from - the sit down, drink your coffee and plonk the kids in front of the tv/on the living room floor with a box of toys.
    I am not saying that is what all childminders have done in the past (although I know many who still do!! ) but I for one have tried really hard to prove that I so much more than this.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Yes but then you are going to get a two tier system - with two tier rates - and who are the parents going to go for..... the cheaper option! It will be taking the profession back over won't it. Childminders are nowt more than a day babysitter and then you have got the reputation that we are striving so hard to get away from - the sit down, drink your coffee and plonk the kids in front of the tv/on the living room floor with a box of toys.
    I am not saying that is what all childminders have done in the past (although I know many who still do!! ) but I for one have tried really hard to prove that I so much more than this.
    I thoroughly agree. If people want to "Professionals" then inevitably there is some work to go with it. As I have previously said I spend 10 minutes per month per child. That is hardly time consuming.

I think that there are a lot of childminders out there who don't understand the EYFS and they need to go to their DO and ask for help.
    Debbie

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

i like the EYFS

i think though this is because I've always cared for preschoolers so birth to 3 matters was never part of my routine then every child matters slotted in but most was covered in school

now i have a 2 year old who is my guide through the EYFS so by the time i take on another under 5 i'll have a better idea on how i want to record information

those who object to EYFS obviously do not understand it well enough ......... just like me ..... but also are not prepared to understand it either.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

just what I was thinking!
    I don't agree with all of the EYFS, but I wouldn't be brave enough to make a stand.my hat goes off to her

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, I really like EYFS and find it quite straight forward now that I've got it all sorted out.

But when I signed up to be a childminder there was none of this. Many childminders didn't register to deliver EYFS, Birth to Three, or whatever. If they don't want to do that, what option have they got other than to leave the profession? Personally I'm all for it, but not everyone is. Why do you think there are so many unregistered childcarers (I won't call them childminders) popping up?

Maybe I don't know what the answer is, but I think it's wrong that we're all made to do this.

Pipsqueak Guest

Don't get me wrong, I really like EYFS and find it quite straight forward now that I've got it all sorted out.

But when I signed up to be a childminder there was none of this. Many childminders didn't register to deliver EYFS, Birth to Three, or whatever. If they don't want to do that, what option have they got other than to leave the profession? Personally I'm all for it, but not everyone is. Why do you think there are so many unregistered childcarers (I won't call them childminders) popping up?

Maybe I don't know what the answer is, but I think it's wrong that we're all made to do this.
    Sorry Mouse (not trying to be argumentative) but when I signed up - there was none of this either and that is why a couple of years later I gave up - there was no support, help, guidance, no professionalism, no respect.
    Jobs evolve - for better or worse and, like many of you there are aspects of the EYFS that I disagree with too but this really is a step in the right direction

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As I have been registered for some time, EYFS has been introduced when I had a really good reputation (built up over time) good references from parents, photos of children doing all sorts of activities and everyone was happy.

I am not totally against it - much is what I have been doing, just not writing and analising their every move.

Minding and caring for the children is such a natural thing for me (was a nanny first at 17) that I feel I am compromising my naturalness (is that a real word!?) for the EYFS.

I am happy that there are more formal routes to go down with safeguarding and general safety but common sense and keeping it real go a long way.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Mouse (not trying to be argumentative)

lol! Nothing argumentative about it! We all have our own opinions, and this just happens to be mine

Don't forget that most of the people on here are here because they take their job seriously, want to do well and want to do everything as it should be done. They accept EYFS as being part of their job & work with it (whether they like it or not). But there are lots of childminders out there who would just like to get on with the job of looking after children without having to work to a particular framework. It might only take '10 minutes per child' once your paperwork is in place, but I bet it took an awful lot longer to get it there.

Yes, working to a framework makes us a lot more professional, but can you honestly say that the children are better off now that we have EYFS than they were before? I haven't changed a great deal about the way I work, so I don't feel the children have benefitted at all. All the differences are in the way I record things, not in the way I look after the children.

As I said, just my opinion!

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

i still dont understand most of it but hey i dont care
    One life live it

Pipsqueak Guest