Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A CHILDMINDER NOT WANTING TO DO EYFS

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Totall agree SLC - there are some terrible inconsistecies - so much depends upon the inspector you get -if they got out the right side of the bed that morning, if you click with them when they come toyou etc etc.
    I support several new minders - two of them work closely together and have very very similar paperwork and working methods - one got a good in all areas the other got satisfactory. The only thing I can think of is that one is well-spoken and articuate and very calm (can say the right things to questions) the other isn't. Same inspector!

I will point out - the outstanding cm does have ALL relevant and necessary paperwork.
    Pip you are so right, this CM has the "gift of the gab" I on the other hand know what do di and what is required, but if you put me on the spot I get tongue tied, and my mind goes a blank!
    Mind you can you believe that when you see how many posts I have on here
    Needs to Zumba

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree a lot with what you're saying. We're forever being told that Ofsted are looking for the 'wow factor', but no one can tell you what the wow factor is!

I do wonder if it's the personality on the childminder that gives the 'wow'. Not fair really for those fab minders who freeze in front of an inspector.

Oct 02
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SLC View Post
    Pip you are so right, this CM has the "gift of the gab" I on the other hand know what do di and what is required, but if you put me on the spot I get tongue tied, and my mind goes a blank!
    Mind you can you believe that when you see how many posts I have on here
    But isnt that the way of things. When on here you are much more relaxed. Having someone in your home inspecting you is intense and makes most ppl get tongue tied. Its like going into panic mode.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When i got outstanding i was told by the inspector that it was for a number of things:

having good, easy to follow paperwork;
    going the extra mile offering lots of activities at children's level so that they could access things when ever they wanted as well as planned activities;
    being fully inclusive in everything the children were doing;
    and being forward thinking - forever thinking about what could be improved/changed/added to.

Probably not much help to anyone as i know inspectors views vary widely but i did think that she had picked up on the things that i thought i did well, and that she was appreciative of how hard it is to be outstanding AND run your own home. She herself said she didn't think she would be able to do it!!!
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    A lot of people are getting caught out on this but it is in the book and a requirement. You have to do one for each outing too which takes up a bit more time but like policies once it is done it is done.
    I know it seems unfair and I do agree but the EYFS book states that you need a RA for outings but the house is not compulsory
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know it seems unfair and I do agree but the EYFS book states that you need a RA for outings but the house is not compulsory
    While I agree with what you are saying Debbie, I know of at least 3 childminders who were given satisfactory gradings for keeping children safe because they did not have written risk assessments of the house and garden. The wording of their reports also made it clear the inspector was unimpressed...

The Eyfs says that we should risk assess everything the children come into contact with... and then goes on to talk about the things we should risk assess in the guidance booklet (there's a long list).

While it does not use the word 'written' it is strongly advisable that you do write them, so you can prove you have done them.

April 2
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I am very sorry that my final comment upset you in the way it did, but both I and Pat thought that there was an underlying subtext in your comments that implied that childminders who do the EYFS are more professional than those who don't and that childminders who don't do the EYFS are somehow failing the children in their care.

Now before you all get angry again, let's take a look at some of your comments from this thread that gave us that impression:

Mouse: "I don't see why there can't be another type of childcare (not called a childminder), that is basically a step or so above a babysitter."

Pipsqueak: "the sit down, drink your coffee and plonk the kids in front of the tv/on the living room floor with a box of toys [type of childminder]"

DebbieS26: "If people want to "Professionals" then inevitably there is some work to go with it"

huggableshelly: "those who object to EYFS obviously do not understand it well enough ..... but also are not prepared to understand it either"

DebbieS26: "When Birth-3 came in I did an extended course .... it made me a better professional and I am sure everyone on the forum is the same but can this be said of others who don't like the EYFS?"

Mouse: "I would be happy to see a scheme whereby childminders can chose whether or not to do EYFS. Those who chose to can claim the funding, those who chose not to can't."

Allie: "Being a professional means something to me and complying with EYFS commitments is part of that professional image"

The Juggler: "there are a lot of childminders who don't appear to want that respect or be seen as childcare professionals, they are happy with the old image"

Mouse: "For those of us who want to present a more professional image, EYFS is putting us on a more even footing with other settings"

Rach30: "[the EYFS] means that all childcare professionals are working to the same standards and levells of care. I think this gives childminders a more professional status"

Mouse: "I'd be quite happy with a two tier system .... If there was a two tier system you'd only be in the bottom tier if you chose to be"

Pipsqueak: "by doing EYFS it is giving you the opportunity to be professional"

And from the 'What Do You Like About the EYFS?' thread:

DebbieS26: "I like it because it makes me more professional in the approach to my job through planning"

Mouse: "I do think that it's helping to raise the profile of childminders. People who understand what's involved in EYFS are starting to respect the fact that we're doing so much more than babysitting"

Pipsqueak: "it pushes me up into the professional realms with all the other settings now - I am being taken seriously"

So, rightly or wrongly, it seemed to us that for some of you, your professional status was more important to you. You may, of course, think differently.
    I've been quoted !!!!! and i just started to explain myself but deleted it all because why the hell should i justify myself . Yes i am professional because i care for children well . EYFS helps me do this. And most people understand this. To be a childminder you HAVE to comply with EYFS. Its a fact. Don't like it ? well don't do the damn job then.
    Love Rach x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rach30 View Post
    I've been quoted !!!!! and i just started to explain myself but deleted it all because why the hell should i justify myself . Yes i am professional because i care for children well . EYFS helps me do this. And most people understand this. To be a childminder you HAVE to comply with EYFS. Its a fact. Don't like it ? well don't do the damn job then.
    Please note that neither Pat nor Arthur have been back and replied. I think they just wanted to open a can of worms - my can has its lid firmly in place!

They also have their story within MM files and news stories too.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Please note that neither Pat nor Arthur have been back and replied. I think they just wanted to open a can of worms - my can has its lid firmly in place!

I do wonder what their true motives were. Were they really putting the children first by applying for an exemption or were they out for their own glory?
    As they seem to have disappeared, I guess we'll never know!

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

what started this thread???? AHHH yes exemption from the EYFS learning goals,,,,

I realy dont think any one will ever be granted exemption from the EYFS in any part as it is law,

in SEN some children may not reach the final outcomes independently and may never reach some goals because of their personal difficulties,,, the way in which these children will be educated will there fore be different but the way the childcare proffecional will record the childs outcomes will be the same.

its the understanding and recording that people need training and support with once we have worked with and understand the aspects of the learning goals and there recordings we will find it second nature.

i too found EYFS a mystery till joining the forum and the support members gave me has enabled me to consider and GO FOR accreditation as i am doing nothing differently than a nursery with my planning and recording,

if we stick together as the family we have developed we will help each other understand EYFS & , recording tequineques (S) activity ideas, risk ass, policies, documents, contracts and everything we have been doing and the extras EYFS /OFSTED want form us proffesional child care providers. with out the word proffesional it would indicate we are untrained and not responsible persons to care for the most valued aspects of society our children.

love andrea x

june 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Debbie I think you should no Arthur's dad is very ill suddenly and i don't think Pat uses a computer

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Attack seems to be the norm on this forum at the moment, and i for one want no part in it. Debate is good but this has gone beyond debate and i find it all rather distasteful. Its seems the EYFS has achieved something- it has turned childminder against childminder.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tups View Post
    Hi Debbie I think you should no Arthur's dad is very ill suddenly and i don't think Pat uses a computer
    I hope he recovers soon

Thanks for posting this
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly he won't because it's terminal. Things have been turned upside down at the moment and I really haven't got time to respond. Sorry.

june 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Arthur I had to say something I didn't like what was being said My thoughts are with you and Pat x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Sadly he won't because it's terminal. Things have been turned upside down at the moment and I really haven't got time to respond. Sorry.
    I think because Arthur is not able to come back and respond it is only fair that this thread is locked for the time being.
    Pauline x

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678