Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EYFS planning for babies

It's my understanding that when EYFS is mandatory, we're all going to have to show proof of planning. I know most of you here, if not everyone, already plan activities for older children but how do you plan activities for babies? Other than playing with the baby toys and going to playgroup, I'm struggling on this one. You can't exactly do arts & crafts, footy in the park or cooking etc can you lol?

I've never done planning for the baby mindee. I've always considered him too young.

Lynne xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: EYFS planning for babies

You are probably already doing it with your baby toys, it just a matter of showing how you see this working, e.g. you could plan to provide activities that will help improve the senses, get out toys with sounds, colours, movement and observe how baby plays with them.

Also, taste activities allowing an older baby to touch and taste different fruits.

Introduce treasure baskets for example different items of the same colour, talk about colour - this is a yellow brick, the yellow truck is going beep beep. etc.

You will be surprised how much you are already doing things if you think about it.

You don't need expensive planning sheets either, a simple day to day idea of what you plan to do will suffice and your plans may change, that is the beauty of childminding. Don't forget to date and keep them though

Pauline x

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the thing we are all probably doing the the things for for EYFS already just need to make sure it's down on paper so Ofsted can see this

Carol xx

Post Thanks / Like

Why not adapt the Birth to Three activities that are in the forum - they are what you will be doing anyway not a lot is going to be changing in that respect

Also like Pauline said you are already doing most of them anyway you just do not realise it

If you are still stuck give us a shout

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All the good stuff that is in birth to 3 is still in the eyfs... even the wording is spookily familiar... so it's just a matter of changing some of the headings!

july 20
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i did some yesterday but found it quite hard to put it into words, about which
    areas it linked to, im just a bit thick like that, i know im doing it, its writing it in words!

hazelx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hazel2 View Post
    i did some yesterday but found it quite hard to put it into words, about which
    areas it linked to, im just a bit thick like that, i know im doing it, its writing it in words!

hazelx
    You don't need to put it into too many words if you don't want. Why not try this idea:

Take a photo - for instance, feeding the ducks, put it in the centre of a piece of paper and draw 6 lines going out to six boxes, in each box write a little about each of the six early learning goals for the activity.

KUW - Children learn about different types of duck or birds
    PSR&N - The children break the bread into quarters, halves etc.
    PD - Physical development is improved by breaking the bread into small pieces - fine finger control.
    CD - We made a collage using feathers when we returned home
    CLL - We discussed the ducks what colours they were and how big they were
    PSE - The chidlren enjoyed the trip and being together for a social outing

Perhaps this doesn't quite fit with as a very young baby activity but you get my idea I hope. It can be used with all activities and age groups and is a simple way to show how you have thought about how activities fit to the goals.

Pauline x

son77 Guest

Thanks for that Pauline.

The problem I always find is that I take loads of pics but then don't get them developed for a month or so.

Perhaps I should get a polaroid camera?!

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get a digital camera quite cheaply now, and print out photos on your computer. I just do mine on ordinary paper .

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    You don't need to put it into too many words if you don't want. Why not try this idea:

Take a photo - for instance, feeding the ducks, put it in the centre of a piece of paper and draw 6 lines going out to six boxes, in each box write a little about each of the six early learning goals for the activity.

KUW - Children learn about different types of duck or birds
    PSR&N - The children break the bread into quarters, halves etc.
    PD - Physical development is improved by breaking the bread into small pieces - fine finger control.
    CD - We made a collage using feathers when we returned home
    CLL - We discussed the ducks what colours they were and how big they were
    PSE - The chidlren enjoyed the trip and being together for a social outing

Perhaps this doesn't quite fit with as a very young baby activity but you get my idea I hope. It can be used with all activities and age groups and is a simple way to show how you have thought about how activities fit to the goals.

i only registered in August 2007 - please dont tell me we have to write this all down in every thing we plan to do? Please please tell me we dont have to actually write it down????!!!!! When on earth are we gonna get time to do all this??? I am so hoping that collective evidence and an understanding, is gonna be enough when it comes to inspection????
    x-x peggy x-x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well... you have to show you are observing and then planning for each child's individual needs, so if Johnny (age 1y8m) has visited the ducks you could say, on his observation sheet -

Visited the ducks (KUW) and J was very excited (PSED) and threw bread into the water (PD - gross motor skills) after, for the first time ever, pulling it into small pieces (PD- fine motor skills)... ok that's your observation done - he did something new today so it's worth observing - he pulled the bread to pieces...

When you get back, you want to follow up on his obvious interest in pulling things to pieces, so you plan...

Since J enjoyed pulling bread into small pieces (PD - fine motor skills) I plan to give him some old toy catalogues to shred (PD) for making a collage (CD). I will support him with using the glue (PD) and we will look at the shapes and sizes of the pieces he shreds (PSR&N). We will talk about the toys (CLL) and discuss his favourites (PSED).

Later you would look at this and see whether it's in the right area for his learning and development goals... for his age and developmental level. This will give you more ideas what to do next as well..

Hope this makes it sound easy!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnev707 View Post
    Well... you have to show you are observing and then planning for each child's individual needs, so if Johnny (age 1y8m) has visited the ducks you could say, on his observation sheet -

Visited the ducks (KUW) and J was very excited (PSED) and threw bread into the water (PD - gross motor skills) after, for the first time ever, pulling it into small pieces (PD- fine motor skills)... ok that's your observation done - he did something new today so it's worth observing - he pulled the bread to pieces...

When you get back, you want to follow up on his obvious interest in pulling things to pieces, so you plan...

Since J enjoyed pulling bread into small pieces (PD - fine motor skills) I plan to give him some old toy catalogues to shred (PD) for making a collage (CD). I will support him with using the glue (PD) and we will look at the shapes and sizes of the pieces he shreds (PSR&N). We will talk about the toys (CLL) and discuss his favourites (PSED).

Later you would look at this and see whether it's in the right area for his learning and development goals... for his age and developmental level. This will give you more ideas what to do next as well..

Hope this makes it sound easy!
    I am horrified!! I dont want to do it, i have to many demands on my time as it is - it sounds as though we're self teaching an nvq here. Suddenly a career in the childcare profession is so not appealing. TBH - What a load of old bullocks! (not at you but the whole eyfs !!!)

I cant see me getting an an outstanding to be honest on my first inspection and if this is what it takes i dont bloomin care, Personally i want to concentrate on what I think is more important, the actual act of caring of my own children and those that come into my care and doing what comes naturally!!!! I cant be doing with all this writing down i know my own family life will suffer, I need to be supporting my own children in their development such as spending my free time assisting them with their homework and reading them stories not planning and writing indepth observations for other children ! Where on earth is the support for the lonesome childminder having to do all this???

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkk!
    x-x peggy x-x

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

^ well said Peggy. I totally agree. I'm so angry I feel like I'm about to give birth to an elephant

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha and how does that feel ????

xx

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Hahaha and how does that feel ????

xx
    I'll tell you in a sec - it's twins and the 2nd one isn't quite out yet

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubbly View Post
    ^ well said Peggy. I totally agree. I'm so angry I feel like I'm about to give birth to an elephant
    that was very polietly said.....pooing bricks would of been my interpretation!!!!! hee hee ! Tbh, i'm angry too, my friends mum is a registered childminder and she's being doing it for twenty odd years - but is also dyslexic - her husband passed away a few years back and her daughter (my friend, is an only child) and is working abroad. How on earth is she gonna cope with all this on her own? ~ I'm probably on the wrong thread here for my outbursts, so I apologise profusely ~ But come on if we were in a nursery working we would have support and guidence, I'm finding it tough already being my own boss if it wernt for you guys on here for advice i dont know what i would do, but there must be childminders out there that do feel totally alone and dont know where to turn to for support only to have been penalised for it at their inspection.
    Last edited by peggy; 01-02-2008 at 11:31 PM.
    x-x peggy x-x

Registe
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been recommended to do one "quality" observation per child each week.
    Well i have spent the biggest part of this evening putting together that observation and linking it to the different areas of learning and development. (plus future planning....and that is just 1 child.....i have three to do for).

Maybe i have done it all wrong, i'm not sure...maybe that's why it seems to have taken ages to do.

Can,t say i'm looking forward to doing the next one....i can think of much better things that i would rather do in my spare time.
    Blimey it's making me feel grumpy already.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I have been recommended to do one "quality" observation per child each week.
    Well i have spent the biggest part of this evening putting together that observation and linking it to the different areas of learning and development. (plus future planning....and that is just 1 child.....i have three to do for).

Maybe i have done it all wrong, i'm not sure...maybe that's why it seems to have taken ages to do.

Can,t say i'm looking forward to doing the next one....i can think of much better things that i would rather do in my spare time.
    Blimey it's making me feel grumpy already.
    my point exactly.....it would seem that people are unsure what they are expected to do, i just think its wrong that as childminders we are inspected in the same way as nurseries, day care etc.. We dont have the support or funding that such settings do and are left up to doing what we think is right and hope for the best. Well the way i see it is i'm gonna do my best within my capabilities and see what happens!
    x-x peggy x-x

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    Suddenly a career in the childcare profession is so not appealing.
    i agree I am terrified at the thought of the paperwork as I struggle already - I know it in my head but can't seemt o get it down on paper. you just have to keep focused on the good things.

i have had a prospective parent round this morning. Came at 9 left at 12 - why so long - baby fell asleep on me and that is why I love this job and what keeps me sane
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buildingblocks View Post
    i agree I am terrified at the thought of the paperwork as I struggle already - I know it in my head but can't seemt o get it down on paper. you just have to keep focused on the good things.

i have had a prospective parent round this morning. Came at 9 left at 12 - why so long - baby fell asleep on me and that is why I love this job and what keeps me sane
    3 hours does sound like a long time.......but then the parent obviously felt comfortable with you.....so did the baby if he/she fell asleep on you

Hopefully you will get the job
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast