ARE  YOU STILL STRESSING ABOUT EYFS?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ARE YOU STILL STRESSING ABOUT EYFS?

I have been reading the GMTV thread with interest and see that a lot of you are still really finding EYFS really stressful and are still unsure about what you should be doing ?

How is everyone coping with it ?

Is it new or old minders that are finding it difficult or is it everyone?

Do you find yourself stressing at the end of the day and thinking you are never going to catch up then finding yourself doing it all at the weekend ?

How much work are you actually doing?
    Are you keeping it simple or are you writing lots and lots because thats what you think you should be doing ?

Who is struggling and who is not ?

Maybe we can help ?

I know I have had a few messages from members who are worried still.

I used to tell my parents at collection little things that their little one had done through out the day.
    I still do all the same things but just note them down now too I keep it simple and only write a little
    I still take the same pictures that I was doing before - I still keep their craft and art work - like before

The only thing that has changed for me is writing more down now for their journal - but it does not take me long and I try to do it when the children are eating or sleeping if I can
    I do not do obs every day
    I refuse to spend my spare time doing paper work
    Weekends are for me and MY FAMILY not my paper work

What do you all think ? Your views ? Your worries ?

Angel xx

LOOPYLISA Guest

Default Re: ARE YOU STILL STRESSING ABOUT EYFS?

Im quite worried yes im not even minding yet, prob not till next year now, im not sure how im going to fit in all the paperwork and there is no way im doing it the weekend if i can help it like you say thats me and my family time, i will have to do it when the children are here, to be honest i have thought about giving up before ive even started!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post
    Im quite worried yes im not even minding yet, prob not till next year now, im not sure how im going to fit in all the paperwork and there is no way im doing it the weekend if i can help it like you say thats me and my family time, i will have to do it when the children are here, to be honest i have thought about giving up before ive even started!!!!!!!!!
    Dont give up Lisa

Why are you worried are you finding it difficult to understand or are you worried you wont have enough time?

Angel xx

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do totally agree with you,it's the planning I have problems with.
    Do you do obs once a week,a month?
    What do you do about planning?
    What are long,medium and short planning?
    All questions that probably have been answered I know,but confusing all the same.
    Alyson x

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not worried.

I started childminding in May this year (though was a childminder years ago), and spent a lot of time researching EYFS on the internet and liaising with friends - one of which is a primary teacher, and the other a playgroup leader - who have both helped me with planning etc, as well as everyone on this forum. Actually, I learnt a lot more on this forum than from my local early years team and passed information on to my local CMs who have been minding for over 10 years.

I currently only have one child on my books who is 1 years old and so I have had more time to write up obs, daily diaries etc than most other minders. Since having my inspection last month I have relaxed about EYFS, as the inspector told me that what I was doing was more than acceptable, i.e. daily diary which goes home each day with the child, observations, planning (where possible, as I am 99% child lead), and displaying art work, etc, etc.

I actually think the EYFS is a good thing and everyone gave it a chance it would be great. I believe it is about being organised and having all the necessary paperwork (Sarah's e-books are fab).

Once people are familiar with what is required and have been practising it for a while it will be fine. It's like learning anything new, it takes practice and experience to perfect.

Sorry for waffling...

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Dont give up Lisa

Why are you worried are you finding it difficult to understand or are you worried you wont have enough time?

Angel xx
    Bit of both really ill be ok, think ive just got a bit down and worried about it all as ive been poorly for so long, im going to think positive x

Pipsqueak Guest

I am fine with it. I put aside half an hour after my working day to get my paperwork done.
    I do an obs once a week on the children - short one, a long one once a month to overview development or something specific. With respect to planning - I plan around the childs interests and take my lead from them. I have an rough "schedule" for the week, I do some rough plans for the next few weeks and thats it.

I do spend a bit of time on a weekend sometimes catching up on things but this is often down to having a ton of other things going on (uni, scouts etc) the only thing I am lax on is my accounts.

Yes I am chasing that Outstanding BUT I have concluded that if I don't get it then I know in my heart and soul that I am giving 100% regardless of what Ofsted say or think and that the main thing is that the children in my care are happy and content and that the parents are satisfied.

I think its because there seems to be no specific "guidance" as to exactly what is required of us. But like before with the Standards - it was all open to an inspectors interpretation (and mood on the day and if they click with you)- just like it is now.

The way I am handling this is by reading Ofsted reports for my area and seeing what they are liking about peoples practices and what they are picking up on.
    Last edited by Pipsqueak; 22-10-2008 at 10:22 AM.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

my head is still in the sand!! i'm going to an EYFS course beginning of november but i've had so much going on that i haven't even got round to reading the EYFS book yet!!!! I know its bad, but i was really getting stressed out about it, i had to take a step back and say 'hey, i'm doing my job well, the kids are safe, enjoy themselves and i am helping them to learn.... so if i haven't got round to writing stuff down yet, so what?!'
    i will get my head around it, i'm hoping that half term when i've got no kids will be a turning point, i'm sure theres little to worry about in the long run.

oh and i'm not being totally irresponsible, i'm only caring for 2 4 year olds after school so i'm not their primary EYFS-person?!??!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing more or less the same as you Angel (that's what I've always done) but now I'm thinking about how I prove I've done it as I think that's what Ofsted want and that means writing things down like the little chats you have with parents at the start or end of the day.

As far as planning goes that's another area I have to start writing things down but I'm going to keep it very simple.
    Maybe a month by month guide of the themes/festivals/birthdays etc we will be celebrating or doing activities around and then the individual planning for each child which I'll base on what their interests are, what I've seen and what the next stage of development is so I can move them on - but again very simple notes NOT reams of writing.

There is some really good info on planning in the EYFS pack broken down under the ELG's and age/stage of development - lots of ideas to get you going.

Miffy xx

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first started doing the EYFS I was working until 10pm at night doing paperwork and getting my policies/procedures up to date. I was also spending all weekend doing it too and I found it quite hard working such long hours. (80 hours per week) It lasted for 5 weeks and I'm not having to spend so much time on it now. I still do it occasionally on an evening and one day at the weekend but it's not only the extra paper work/hours, it's the cost of it too. So far I have spent over £200.

I have got used to it now but whether I'm doing it right is another thing. I just wish it didn't take up my private time as much.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been minding for way too long (in excess of 10 years) and do not find the EYFS difficult.

I did spend a lot of time on the policies, risk assessments and getting myself organised but that was because I left it too late and waited until September, mistake

Now that it is all in place I plan a theme per month which I do once per week as an activity, the rest is routine and child led.

I do one structured planned observation a month and record the results whilst they are doing it - no extra time required.

The rest of my obs are from things I see here and there when I am working - no extra work as I use post it notes and put them in the file.

I think if you did Birth-3 before that you should still use the basis of it to do Birth-6 as is the EYFS.

Saying all this I did do an extended Birth-3 course, am an accredited childminder and have passed my level 3 with CACHE where a lot of this was covered.

Don't despair if you have just started - keep it simple and once your paperwork is in place you won't need any extra time to do your job of playing with the children.
    Debbie

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

well yes n No,lol

it took time to put all my policies n procedures inplace and messed about with them after reading the forum, so thats one job done,

i think for thoes of us not accredited its a little harder as before i didn't write down any of my observations, didn't have a camera and basicly went with routines of the day, school runs & nurserys with activities the children liked. we went out to indoor Ball parks , duck pond and shopping not enough hrs in a day to do what some minders can do?

as accredited minders will do EYFS with 3-5yr olds im more under 3's as my over 3's goes to nursery or respection and so i do wrap around care, so its the child's needs at the time. lunch , sleep, free play tv school run tea , tidy up time home time, I DONT HAVE TIME for much else so not sure if im missing something i should be doing?

it would be good to have a tick list .
    I've seen a nursery index of practice some have different names for it , kind looks like the EYFS in a list and how the nursery have and do to fit with requirements.
    surpose we could also call it our SEF lol

still its gr8 to see we not alone the forum has and is a big help

son77 Guest

Im not worried that much about EYFS.

Im doing daily diaries/daily routine sheets (same as I did before) and monthly planned observations and next steps (which I attach a photo to).

All my planning is in my head, nothing wrote down as it is based on childs interests, and we know what children are like, mad on 1 thing 1 week and hate it the next!

I also have a A5 obs book that I just write in small snippets of new things I have seen them do etc etc.

I take photos all the time and every 2-3 months I make up a photo collage with approx 10-15 different photos then link each photo to the efys (just with an arrow and write which area of learning & development it covers).

As there are no set rules they have given us to follow we have to make the EYFS work 'our' way, and this is my way!

Im sure all will be fine aslong as they can see that we are actually doing something with the kids and not drinking coffee all day!

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did alot of it anyway before Sept but not knowing exactly what Ofsted want/how they want things done is a worry. Im always thinking am I doing this ok or that ok but then think, right im gonna do what I do and see what Ofsted say when I next get inspected. Ok I might be at risk of loosing my Good but that wont be any loss as the families and children are still happy and I know im meeting the standards to gain the satisfactory

jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only been minding for 7 months ( already!!!) so I started with the whole idea of the EYFS 'ruling' us! I am like angel, I don't want to spend weekends doing it as I need my family time. I have my policies and procedures in place as well as risk assessments. I do post it notes obs and will probably do a more thourough one once a month. I take pictures and do a daily diary, put artwork on the walls.
    I still have not been inspected but I am not worried as I know the children are well looked after and happy. The parents are happy too!
    I am doing my nvq3 which helps a lot as well I think. The only thing I find difficult is sticking to the plan. I have my lo 13 months old and 13 months old mindee (16 months old starting next week). I do a long term planning with just a topic and celebrations and a weekly planning which I do a week in advance only. I only plan for two activities a day as the rest is child led and we go out a lot.
    and I do my accounts everyday!

Also, one of the cm I know went on a course and she was told that you don't need to do eyfs on 4 years old if they are in full time education as the school is doing it (makes sense but with ofsted you never know!!)

Elodie X

Sep 07
    Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes - I do stress about the EYFS. Why, because in the year I've been childminding, I've not had any young ones so didn't even get to know the B23 framework. I did ask to go on a course but my area weren't running any.

Where I live, there are no childminding networks. I've never had a Development Officer and have no-one to turn to (aside from yourselves). With the few other childminders I casually know, I've tried asking them what they do about EYFS and they are doing next to nothing - so no help there. Don't even show parents any policies!

So I feel that I'm very much on my own. I actually went on a Observation course yesterday and in all honesty, it went over my head as it was more geared towards playgroups etc. I was told though that Obs were to be done everyday.

I'm still at a stage where I wouldn't know how to plan. I'm busy downloading planning sheets from every site possible but I'm still none the wiser.

I've a Mum coming to visit me next week regarding care for her 2 daughters. One is 1 year of age and the other is 3 but will go to playgroup so I only need drop off and collect. This will be two mornings per week. On one side, I can see this will be good for me to get to grips with it all and the other side of me is panicking as I really don't know what to do.

Am I stupid - no I'm not. I'm simply a person who hasn't had any guidance as to what to do and not having had any previous experience, feel at a loss. I'm sure I'll get there and I know I can turn to you lovely people.

Angel/Sarahnev - don't suppose you fancy a day out to West Sussex and come and talk me through it. I'll throw in a cream cake.

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DudleyChildmind View Post
    When I first started doing the EYFS I was working until 10pm at night doing paperwork and getting my policies/procedures up to date. I was also spending all weekend doing it too and I found it quite hard working such long hours. (80 hours per week) It lasted for 5 weeks and I'm not having to spend so much time on it now. I still do it occasionally on an evening and one day at the weekend but it's not only the extra paper work/hours, it's the cost of it too. So far I have spent over £200.

I have got used to it now but whether I'm doing it right is another thing. I just wish it didn't take up my private time as much.
    I am the same but i am still working late a night most weekends. My children are really missing out.

I am really thinking of giving it up,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rasharoon View Post
    Yes - I do stress about the EYFS. Why, because in the year I've been childminding,

Angel/Sarahnev - don't suppose you fancy a day out to West Sussex and come and talk me through it. I'll throw in a cream cake.

A cream cake you say ?

Im all yours

Forget about Sarah I can have hers too

Angel xx

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel a bit like Rasharoon, a lot of my childminding friends are not really interested in EYFS and are just plodding along. I feel very alone. If it wasn't for this site I don't know what I'd do.

I have had 2 hours training on Observations and hopefully will go on another 2 hour course in November on SEF. I feel in my area there has been hardly any help or advice.

Thanks goodness for Sarah and her ebooks and to everyone on this forum as I know I would really be stressed about EYFS.

A big THANK YOU to you all
    Cherry x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    A cream cake you say ?

Im all yours

Forget about Sarah I can have hers too

Angel xx
    You're mean... I like cream cakes too!

We could make a day of it and share...

Now come on Angel, you are good at sharing - well except Enrique of course

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast