Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    *OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ARE YOU STILL STRESSING ABOUT EYFS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    This is a great thread. What confuses me about daily diaries is what do you do if you've written something in the diary and the parents take it home and then FORGET to bring it back?
    Do you have to write everything on post it notes and hope the parent brings it back in the next day?
    Also, do you keep a seperate diary for yourself or just a folder for artwork?
    I'm slowly getting to grips with it as i can see it all in action at our pre-school and once you can see how everything fits together it makes sense.
    Just wish they had made a better job of doing the EYFS book.
    This is coming out soon and might make things a bit clearer for some people.

Edit by Pauline: Sorry Kitty but until the book has been used and we are happy it is useful to everyone I don't really want it advertised, people could be wasting money and I don't want the forum to be seen as endorsing it - if you see what I mean.

Last edited by Pauline; 30-10-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: link removed
    ƸӜƷ* Hello Kitty *ƸӜƷ

jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In a word, yes! So much so that I am avoiding taking on any children under 5 - and don't get me wrong I would love to. But its the not knowing whats expected that makes it so difficult. What about children in reception? - only here 4 hours a week (so EYFS will apply till next summer only?) - starting points?? Am I supposed to be giving things to do to test if can do it?? My childminding started out so well - Am I supposed to link an observation to all six areas/just one but do one from a different area next time? Have decided though that it would be a good idea to print a black and white photo on the back of the observation sheet as evidence (my one and only good idea!) Its all driving me mad Have a folder for any artwork and a diary for the parents. I'm hoping that my training (arranged for next month) will shed some light. Got stressed just typing about it!!
    Think calm peaceful thoughts and breath slowly in ... slowly out
    Ahhh
    Carol back to normal again

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm stressing a bit still but mainly because I'm just not sure if what I am doing is correct/enough. I've never heard of support childminders, I'm not part of a network so I don't get that sort of support either, basically it is me, a couple of friends - who know less than me and all you helpful gals on here.
    Wht I would like is for someeone to actually look at what I am doing and see if I am wording it correctly and if I am doing enough etc

Pipsqueak Guest

There is an NCMA Portfolio document that you can now order. There isn't a link at them moment but it goes into a lever arch file and you start filing in the bits and bobs - relating to sections of the welfare requirements.

As support minders we were asked to trial run the draft copy - it is now up and running and the details are:

£14.99 (yes we all complained at teh price and did ask seeing as we trialed it if we could get it for free but noooo)

NCMA
    Unit 1 Antler Complex
    Bruntcliffe Way
    Leeds
    LS27 0JG
    0113 218 9292
    email: NCMA.NE-YH@*************

Its called the EYFS Professional Evidence File

Having got a copy of this now I am starting to downsize the rest of my folders and put it all in one.

sorry I can't show you what its like but if you ring the number above or email then I am sure they could perhaps email you sample sheets
    xxx

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I am stressing! Spent the whole of yesterday until 10.30pm updating children's folders trying to work out where they are in the learning/development grids to share with parents in the next few weeks, have decided my folders look really scruffy and unprofessional because they're handwritten so that they will fit into the tiny spaces of the personal pathways I bought from our early years department. Last night I dreamt I was doing my housework and deciding which areas of learning and development and ecm outcomes each chore should go into! I have had 2 good inspections but really feel like I will be lucky to get a satisfactory next time so I really sympathise with every one else who feels stressed

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was very stressesd with all the planning and obs side of things, loads of ideas but just not sure of what was the best way to get it all down on paper, and what to link things to.
    But (sorry to mention it yet again!) I have just bought Sarah's ebooks and it is all of a sudden so much simpler and clearer.
    I now have a clear idea of what I should be doing, how I am going to record it, how to include evidence of working with parents/ others, and I don't think it's going to take up too much time or paper.
    I had already done my policies and linked them to ECM, and have started my risk assessment folder.
    So now my big objective is to complete the SEF and my tax return from last year

April 2
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest i hardly do anything extra. I write in the daily diary that goes home with the child what they have done and then i'll jot down how i will build on that next time and how it links to eyfs , but its just notes nothing long and completecated , that also counts as obs. Was told by Ofsted that would be fine. I do take photos now and again for the album. Parents are more than happy with that. I still do all the accident forms ect and anual risk assessment which i did before EYFS Apart from that i refuse to do anything extra and i do worry that people are over complicating it.
    Love Rach x

April 2
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Also i did policies when i first started , just the obvious ones , wont do SEF unless i am forced to . Parents choose childminding because it is like home. If they want nursery they would choose that. There is a reason i dont work in a nursery and that is beacuse i dont like them ! so i WILL not be turned into one. SOrry if sounds like i'm ranting
    Love Rach x

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I am scared stiff and stressing soooo much!!!!! I havnt even got any mindees yet, and have thought about giving up before starting! My own two (8 & 5) are missing out sooo much because I am sat on the PC all day trying to find an easy way of understanding the EYFS! I wish they could have send it to me in german (I am german) maybe I would have understood it a little better...Not that I understand any of it.
    But I think my problem with not understanding it is STRESS!! EYFS STRESS!
    I worked in a school as a TA so really working by the EYFS is just like working at school!
    My problem is the planning and the Observations/Assesments and all the CD K&Uof W I dont do abriviations (SPELLING?)
    I finished my ICP course in July 08 and we still learned the National Standards.. Silly really they should have tought us the EYFS.
    Childminders that I speak to around here (There are loads) are not really doing the EYFS.. They can not be bothered, so I am hoping that our Early Years Support officer will be able to help me a little.. SHe is lovely.

Enough rumbling on
    This forum has helped me more than any person or course around her and I am so thankful for that
    THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH!!!
    XPixieX

09/2006
    Post Thanks / Like

I jsut sit down with the folder and realised that some of my areas and the little subareas are not covered are only few and i sarted to plan which areas i want it to cover and than i burst into tears cause have no idea to plan for each indivudal child and be able to fit and i worry if i do obs once a month or once a week it will not get covered all

just do not know what to do !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danast View Post
    I jsut sit down with the folder and realised that some of my areas and the little subareas are not covered are only few and i sarted to plan which areas i want it to cover and than i burst into tears cause have no idea to plan for each indivudal child and be able to fit and i worry if i do obs once a month or once a week it will not get covered all

just do not know what to do !!
    Oh Please dont get upset

Some times we make things more difficult than we need

If you need any help with anything then pm - explain what you are getting upset about and I will try to help you

Angel xx

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I've calmed down a great deal mostly thanks to advice and information from a very special someone (they know who they are!! )

First I sat down and UNDERSTOOD the difference between EYFS principles and areas of development. This was sent to me by my angel

"The 6 areas of learning and development... vs the 16 principles of the eyfs.

Think of it like a jigsaw puzzle!

When you are observing a child (which you do first), when you are listening to parents or other professionals talking about the child... you whip out your copy of the eyfs...

Then you fit what you are hearing and seeing into the 6 areas of learning and development - for that child!

So you look through the grids at the back of the Eyfs for that child's age and stage and link obs and comments to what the Eyfs says the child should be doing...

Ok so far??

The 16 principles of the Eyfs - now these are best thought of as your long term planning goals... they link to the Sef and they are part of the inspection process.

So when you are planning for the long term, everything to do with your work as a childminder... you make sure you take into account the child's developmental level (1.1), you make sure the activity is inclusive (1.2), you ensure all children are safe (1.3) and you wash hands / prepare healthy food / write up accident reports etc (1.4)...

BUT when you plan for a child's play, while you must always bear the principles in mind because they are at the heart of everything you do (hence large poster to cover damp patch on wall)... you actually plan for the child using the 6 areas of learning and development ... so you are observing using the 6 areas, planning for next steps using the 6 areas, observing again to spot wow moments and next steps achievements using the 6 areas ... in a never ending cycle.

With all the principles in place for everything you do and all the areas of learning and development covered for the child's needs, you can then get on with the actual job, which is having fun and playing."

And once I got this everything became so much clearer.

I have a daily diary for parents (not specific to EYFS so simple to understand)
    I have a scrapbook - including info about the child by the child ie I like to do, I like to eat and in it I put my observations. I do a proper one once a week. I alternate between planned and unplanned activities ie hand printing or putting a bucket on his head and pretending to be a policeman.

I went through my policies and allocated principles to each to make sure I had a policy to cover everything. If anyone wants to see this they are more than welcome to see, copy, use!!

I feel much better now and really, I've done the best that I can.

God luck to me!! And good luck to everyone else!!

Leah

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

yes please would love top see a copy! Thanks for the explanation too, I think I've the learning & development sussed but its how those themes & commitments fit into it now it makes sense many thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123