Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ARE YOU STILL STRESSING ABOUT EYFS?

I worry that I'm not doing enough. It would be good if we knew just how much Ofsted expect of us.
    I was going to bed with the EYFS , reading it but not sure it went in. LOL
    I do daily diarys, if a notice a 'WOW' moment I jot it down, I take loads of photos of activities the children do, days out, have done risk assessments.
    I have been on the EYFS course but found that it was just going through the book, not much help as I have been looking at it.
    I'm going on the observation, assessment and planning course in December so hopefully that will help.
    I'm finding the linking it up hard.
    But I'm sure once I have been doing it for a while it will make sense. I hope!

x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rasharoon View Post
    Yes - I do stress about the EYFS. Why, because in the year I've been childminding, I've not had any young ones so didn't even get to know the B23 framework. I did ask to go on a course but my area weren't running any.

Where I live, there are no childminding networks. I've never had a Development Officer and have no-one to turn to (aside from yourselves). With the few other childminders I casually know, I've tried asking them what they do about EYFS and they are doing next to nothing - so no help there. Don't even show parents any policies!

So I feel that I'm very much on my own. I actually went on a Observation course yesterday and in all honesty, it went over my head as it was more geared towards playgroups etc. I was told though that Obs were to be done everyday.

I'm still at a stage where I wouldn't know how to plan. I'm busy downloading planning sheets from every site possible but I'm still none the wiser.

I've a Mum coming to visit me next week regarding care for her 2 daughters. One is 1 year of age and the other is 3 but will go to playgroup so I only need drop off and collect. This will be two mornings per week. On one side, I can see this will be good for me to get to grips with it all and the other side of me is panicking as I really don't know what to do.

Am I stupid - no I'm not. I'm simply a person who hasn't had any guidance as to what to do and not having had any previous experience, feel at a loss. I'm sure I'll get there and I know I can turn to you lovely people.

Angel/Sarahnev - don't suppose you fancy a day out to West Sussex and come and talk me through it. I'll throw in a cream cake.
    Have you contacted your local Surestart or NCMA rep?
    Debbie

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit concerned, have been minding for 8 weeks and will there are no EYFS courses running here til next year. Im sure ill be inspected before then. I do a daily diary, am not too bad on obs, have policies done and almost done with risk assessments. I send a scrap book home every 6 weeks or so with pics of what we have been doing. My mindee is 9mths old so no art work as such to display.

HOWEVER, i have not started writing any planning. Don't really know where to start as not doing topics or anything yet as she is too young. Any ideas ???? Should i be doing anything else ???????

Sep 07
    Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    Have you contacted your local Surestart or NCMA rep?
    Debbie - I didn't even know that there was such a thing. I am a member of NCMA so is it that I just ring them, tell them how thick I am and that I need some help? This is all new to me (can't you tell).

Angel/Sarahnev - I'll even stretch to Krispy Kreme doughnuts Best cakes around and I'll get more than enough for everyone.

Thanks.

xx

Post Thanks / Like

still stressing got all the p/work just don't know how to put it all together spend most nights either here or printing out policys

Post Thanks / Like

June and I have spent hours through the summer devising forms, books etc. which hopefully once they are up and running properly will mean that there is very little paperwork to do (if I ever get on top of it that is )

Our idea is to have one simple form which includes observation, links to eyfs, photo and next step, all on one piece of paper so that it keeps paperwork to a mimimum. Only problem is, like everyone says, we have no idea if what we are doing is what Ofsted are wanting until we have an inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Debbie - I didn't even know that there was such a thing. I am a member of NCMA so is it that I just ring them, tell them how thick I am and that I need some help? This is all new to me (can't you tell).

Angel/Sarahnev - I'll even stretch to Krispy Kreme doughnuts Best cakes around and I'll get more than enough for everyone.

Thanks.

xx
    If you throw in Enrique I will be there asap

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    Our idea is to have one simple form which includes observation, links to eyfs, photo and next step, all on one piece of paper so that it keeps paperwork to a mimimum. Only problem is, like everyone says, we have no idea if what we are doing is what Ofsted are wanting until we have an inspection
    thats exactly what I have done My development worker thought it was great so hopefully ofsted will too

May 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just about getting my head round the linking bit. I then decided to attend a four themed workshop run by NCMA to make sure i was doing it all right

Turns out we are supposed to be linking obs to the 6 areas of learning AND the four themes and their commitments!!!! now i am gonna have to look at it all again
    Nicki xx

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

STRESSED, STRESSED, STRESSED. Thats me! Not enough time in the day (even with the extra hours I bought myself when I sold my soul!!)

I agree - a tick list would be great!

I have been told I don't charge enough so i feel I have to get at least a "Good" to raise my prices. But as I've only been minding a month I think if I did get an "Outstanding" the whole situation is a joke!

My friend has been childminding for 3 yrs and she is brilliant. She is fab with the kids and does so much in her own time. She's just had an inspection and the inspector asked if she had any technological toys (you know the sort, play laptops and play realistic mobile phone). No?? You don't have one?? Black mark against your name then! She is so depressed and is ready to quit. I told her to cmplain, it's a disgrace!!!

So, yes. I am worried. I know it will all calm down after my inspection but right now...if someone told me I had a good chance of getting a good, I would slog on.

I strongly feel I spend more time doing paperwork and worrying about it all than I do enjoying the children. They are safe, they ahve fun, they want to be here. That should be enough!

One boost was asking my parents to fill in a satisfaction sheet. I shall wave those in the face of my inspector!

I am very concerned about the EYFS observation. I have bought the BMCA booklets and will try to work through those.

Another HUGE concern is religion. I have had no training and I don't want my children inadvertently going home with impressions or values or ideas that I have given them. Does everyone do something for the other main religious festivals? I know so little about different religions and I strongly feel this is not our place to teach them.

At the end of the day the parents pay us, NOT the government. How do they have so much say in what we should or shouldn't teach our mindees??

Sorry for waffling....

Leah

Dec 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been minding for way too long (in excess of 10 years) and do not find the EYFS difficult.

I did spend a lot of time on the policies, risk assessments and getting myself organised but that was because I left it too late and waited until September, mistake

Now that it is all in place I plan a theme per month which I do once per week as an activity, the rest is routine and child led.

I do one structured planned observation a month and record the results whilst they are doing it - no extra time required.

The rest of my obs are from things I see here and there when I am working - no extra work as I use post it notes and put them in the file.

I think if you did Birth-3 before that you should still use the basis of it to do Birth-6 as is the EYFS.

Saying all this I did do an extended Birth-3 course, am an accredited childminder and have passed my level 3 with CACHE where a lot of this was covered.

Don't despair if you have just started - keep it simple and once your paperwork is in place you won't need any extra time to do your job of playing with the children.

Thanks, that has really helped me Debbie. I'm going to note down what you've said and try and base my own practices on what you do. you make it sound so easy!!!

Dec 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been minding for way too long (in excess of 10 years) and do not find the EYFS difficult.

I did spend a lot of time on the policies, risk assessments and getting myself organised but that was because I left it too late and waited until September, mistake
    Can I just ask, when you said you got yourself organised,do you mean you replaced the old National standards policies with the new ones. i have a folder with the old national standards in and my policies set out in accordance with them. Stupid question I know but do i have to replace them now with new ones?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    Can I just ask, when you said you got yourself organised,do you mean you replaced the old National standards policies with the new ones. i have a folder with the old national standards in and my policies set out in accordance with them. Stupid question I know but do i have to replace them now with new ones?
    I replaced mine I found it easier to be honest

Angel xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread. What confuses me about daily diaries is what do you do if you've written something in the diary and the parents take it home and then FORGET to bring it back?
    Do you have to write everything on post it notes and hope the parent brings it back in the next day?
    Also, do you keep a seperate diary for yourself or just a folder for artwork?
    I'm slowly getting to grips with it as i can see it all in action at our pre-school and once you can see how everything fits together it makes sense.
    Just wish they had made a better job of doing the EYFS book.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

xx
    Usually you can get informtion from your local Early Years Department at the council - that would be a good place to start. If not, who did you speak to when you wanted information on becoming a childminder as they would have given you the forms to complete? Someone organises the ICP's in your area? These are your contact points and they should be able to signpost you in the correct direction.
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    I went through the EYFS Statutory Requirements and listed the policies that were required. I did both the legal and statutory requirements but amalgamated the new requirements with the old ones. Not all the policies needed changing, some just needed tweaking. I was just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    This is a great thread. What confuses me about daily diaries is what do you do if you've written something in the diary and the parents take it home and then FORGET to bring it back?
    Do you have to write everything on post it notes and hope the parent brings it back in the next day?
    Also, do you keep a seperate diary for yourself or just a folder for artwork?
    I'm slowly getting to grips with it as i can see it all in action at our pre-school and once you can see how everything fits together it makes sense.
    Just wish they had made a better job of doing the EYFS book.
    I have only been asked once to do a daily diary and to be honest don't volunteer either. I speak to parents every time they drop off and collect their children so they are aware of what we are doing and what we have done.

The only written work I do now is my diary for me with expenses and daily routine and the obs and assess once a month for each child
    Debbie

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only been asked once to do a daily diary and to be honest don't volunteer either. I speak to parents every time they drop off and collect their children so they are aware of what we are doing and what we have done.

The only written work I do now is my diary for me with expenses and daily routine and the obs and assess once a month for each child
    I find writing the diarys very time consuming. Don't we have to do them if we don't want to?

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

hello ladies

i got the daily diary off the bromley site
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Sarah

Sept 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: ARE YOU STILL STRESSING ABOUT EYFS?

I have always had a daily diary book for each child so that parents have an insight to what their child has done during the day - all my parents love them! They say after a long day at work it is nice to read about their child's day. Since the EYFS I now link areas of the EYFS to the photos in the diary. It's just finding time to print the photos that seems a problem with me.

I am half way through my SEF - that takes time every night on the computer, it goes on forever!

I jot obs down on post-it notes but still trying to find time to transfer them to obs sheets. Have all the ideas for planning, long term and short term but again time is the issue. On top of that I have until xmas to finish 4 optional units for my nvq level 3.

I sometimes wish I had a job that was part of my life, not one that IS my life! But I love the children I look after and don't want to give up on them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast