Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EYFS and Pre Schoolers!!!

My two (my own and mindee) will be starting the same pre-school in the mornings come January, I was chatting with mindee's mum tonite about it all and said that i've already done some obs and did they want my stuff, they said anything i have to share would be useful, but they will begin their own initial assessments.....to be honest i kinda feel like "well what the hell am i doing all this for then!!!"

The next thing is.......is it really fair for these 3 year olds (as they will be when they start) to be going to pre-school in the mornings under eyfs....and then coming back to me, having lunch and getting more of the same from me?! I don't know where i stand on this to be honest, i dont want to over load them with too much knowledge, they need a break....they will only be three!!

What i thought i would do is ask the nursery for the a copy of their planning, so i can compliment and support it on a smaller scale and then that way i will be in keeping with eyfs too.

This is starting to become a minefield.........! Can anyone share advice on this at all??
    x-x peggy x-x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: EYFS and Pre Schoolers!!!

Eyfs is about playing with children and following their interests...

If their interests are to set up a role play shop, then out come the fruit and veg or old clothes or whatever...

I think you're reading too much into it... it's about playing...

Yes you have to write your obs ... but isn't it nice for parents to take home a memories book of the child's time with you?

Yes you have to write your planning down ... but it should be what you always do, except it's written down.

You are thinking about 'doing eyfs' as some kind of challenge... it's not... it's based firmly in the play we think the children will enjoy when they are with us! If that's watching tv... then we are complementing the care they are receiving elsewhere.

Does that make sense?

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thats an excellent explanation Sarah!

I really like the idea of EYFS its just the paperwork that goes with it thats a pain. My daughter does 3 full days at preschool as I'm working at the moment, today was my day off so she watched pepper pig on DVD. They put on raincoats and wellies and did the muddy puddles like pepperpig, we came inside and she wanted to do sticking so we cut up shapes and made people, houses etc. If this was a childminded child I would then have to write all this up wouldnt I? and how do you plan for that? It is always spur of the moment with the odd holiday craft theme planned.

Paula W
    Paula

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the paperwork side of it can be a little tough sometimes when you're working full time with various children throughout the week. However, the EYFS, as Sarah said, is about play. It's to be child led. All we need to do is observe the children, provide the relevant resources and plan to enable them to progress with their learning and development. We should be playing with them and letting them have fun. The children's days will be filled with so much fun, attending pre-school in the morning and a childminder in the afternoon. I attend as many toddler groups through the week with mine to enable the children to learn skills such as communication, social skills and to join in with the fantastic activities they provide. Enjoy.
    Mrs.M x

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    MET
    Post Thanks / Like

When my youngest was younger, he would come home from pre-school desperate to learn as he wasn't stimulated enough while there.
    Charlotte
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand