Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Covid Regulations

Morning All,

As im sure your aware the new guidelines are now in place for isolation of children under 18 in school/childcare. The new guidance states that children do not not need to isolate if a close contact of a positive case (such as a parent or other household member) unless they develop symtoms then they must take a PCR.

I wondered what others thoughts are on how they will manage this in their own settings, I am going to keep my own policy in place that states if a household member is positive then the child cannot attend my setting until 10 days after exposure? can i do that? is it my choice? or do i have to do as the new guidance states? what will you all be doing?

Thanks for your thoughts.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know !!!!! I'm still working out what i'm doing!

the guidance i read said this .... ( which is no help at all! )

The DfE has also previously stated that in 'exceptional circumstances' settings may decide to refuse a close contact in the setting if, "in the setting's reasonable judgement, it is necessary to protect those within the setting from possible infection with COVID-19".

so, I think you would be totally ok to say that you will not accept children of a family with a positive result. You would not be able to charge them though.

also says

children under five will only be advised to take a PCR test if the positive case is in their household.

so you might want to say ... they need a negative test to return? .. but how long should you wait from a parent testing positive to getting a child tested to see if it has been passed on? i know a couple of families where another family member, despite isolating with family, tested positive after a week or so.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Your right it really is a tricky situation, i feel that we do need to find some form of normality to move forward, but I also feel completly vulnerable and undervalued, like its absolutly fine for us to accept a possible Covid case into our homes and put ourselves, our family and other children at risk. When in reality if a friend popped in to visit sombodys house, and upon arival annonced that a houshold member currently has Covid19 it would be frowned upon! but why i wonder are we expected to just suck it up!

To me it just feels like another blow to how little we as childminders are respected

4. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It seems like the powers that be, haven't quite 'got' that childminders work in their own homes, and if any member of their family tests positive, then we have to shut for all families.

I think, I'm gong to say that if family member isolating, then I can not accept child, and explain the risk to MY family and other children is too high.

6. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    It seems like the powers that be, haven't quite 'got' that childminders work in their own homes, and if any member of their family tests positive, then we have to shut for all families.

I think, I'm gong to say that if family member isolating, then I can not accept child, and explain the risk to MY family and other children is too high.
    So then you wouldn't charge for the child?

Does anyone know if there is any financial assistance for us in these circumstances?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

I think this is what I am going to say too as my DH is classed as vulnerable due to a health condition plus I have elderly relatives that I regularly visit taking then shopping etc. I am prepared to take the financial hit of losing the income while they are off. I think parents will be more willing to keep them off if they don't have to pay plus there was whole issue last year when the CMA said we couldn't charge parents full fees when we were in closed during lockdown.

Maza I only know about the self employed grant.
    Pixie Dust

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    So then you wouldn't charge for the child?

Does anyone know if there is any financial assistance for us in these circumstances?

That is the downside, that you can't charge for the child.

I'm not aware of any financial assistance, apart from, like Pixie said, the self-employed grant.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone get a letter together I’m really stuck with the whole thing. As you know I look after a 93 year old .Quite understand where you are coming from Emma’s.