Thread: Im new

Non childminder member
    Nearly childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Im new

Hi
    I am taking courses online to become a childminder
    A few questions
    Im planning on opening up when im done. Do i have to wait till september ?
    Im confused abt this observation tracking etc. When and how often (for ages 2-3) also the best way?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Why September?

Observations are quite an individual thing: most of us develop our own style. I would hope this should be covered in your pre-reg course work. You’ll find books on how to observe children in the Early Years in the 'education section' (ie the overpriced shelves) of large book stores. Pacey have a free practice guidance pdf on observations and learning journals on their website. I advise against wasting your money on Pacey's journals: they’re as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Whatever you use to get started you should adapt to your own needs and style over time.

Most local authorities produce their own preferred EY tracker tool. From what I’ve seen, they represent an excellent way to produce a systematic distortion of any child's abilities.
    Last edited by bunyip; 18-12-2017 at 09:05 AM.

3. Likes moggy, Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post
    Non childminder member
    Nearly childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

September is when everyone advertise. I can not find free resources

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Why September

Observations are quite an individual thing: most of us develop our own style. I would hope this should be covered in your pre-reg course work. You’ll find books on how to observe children in the Early Years in the 'education section' (ie the overpriced shelves) of large book stores. Pacey have a free practice guidance pdf on observations and learning journals on their website. I advise against wasting your money on Pacey's journals: they’re as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Whatever you use to get started you should adapt to your own needs and style over time.

Most local authorities produce their own preferred EY tracker tool. From what I’ve seen, they represent an excellent way to produce a systematic distortion of any child's abilities.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You should be given a timescale for completion of your registration during your pre-reg course and paediatric first aid.

You will need to finish your course and then do a dbs check and a medical check - you will then submit an ey2 form through the government gateway.

Ofsted take up to 12 weeks to process most applications (sometimes longer) and then when you receive your certificate you will be able to advertise and start working

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rac123 View Post
    Have you spoken to your local authority Early Years team? ask them for support, ask them for their suggested tracker/learning journey/journal template.
    Your course should cover how to observe, record and track children's progress- which course are you doing?

Families look for childcare to start at various times in the year- September if it is linked to school terms, but could also need childcare to start in any month of the year when their maternity leave ends, or because they are moving house, changing childcare provider etc.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You open when you are registered and have everything in place.

I don’t understand the September thing. Childcare providers advertise all year round.

Use Google; enter search term "Pacey how to observations". The pdf I mentioned should be the top search result returned.

Does the pre-reg course not cover observations and tracking development?

Non childminder member
    Nearly childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    A few questions
    Im confused abt this observation tracking etc. When and how often (for ages 2-3) also the best way?

hi its me. i dont know why i can not find any post i posted.. for the ofstead registration do you need to know abt the eyfs off by heart?? also what documents do i need to print out thanks

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi its me. i dont know why i can not find any post i posted.. for the ofstead registration do you need to know abt the eyfs off by heart?? also what documents do i need to print out thanks
    Hello and welcome.
    You need to complete a pre registration course which will tell you everything you need to know. As Moggy suggested you need to book these with the Early Years dept of your local Authority.
    You will be questioned in detail about EYFS when you have a pre registration visit from an Ofsted inspector so it advisable to know the contents. You will be looking at the different areas on your pre registration courses which helps to get to know it and know what is expected of you in this new profession.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Hello and welcome.
    You need to complete a pre registration course which will tell you everything you need to know. As Moggy suggested you need to book these with the Early Years dept of your local Authority.
    You will be questioned in detail about EYFS when you have a pre registration visit from an Ofsted inspector so it advisable to know the contents. You will be looking at the different areas on your pre registration courses which helps to get to know it and know what is expected of you in this new profession.
    Yes, as FloraDora says, but it is not a memory test as such- you need to fully understand the EYFS but if you need to turn to a particular page to refer to something that's fine- we all have 'blank' moments when under pressure! You can make notes and refer to them too and ask the inspector to phrase a question differently if you don't understand. They are looking to see you understand EYFS and know where to find information etc.
    But the training course will help you through all this.

11. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Non childminder member
    Nearly childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Hello and welcome.

i have called up my LA and they said they dont do pre registration courses an y more. they just told me do to a course that covers eyfs- im still in the middle of it. i have done safeguarding already

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    A few questions
    No, not at all.
    September is just normally when things change due to the new academic year starting, EYFS children start reception so free up your early years places, Older children leave to start high school so free up previously unavailable spaces, which means many providers state September as their spaces becoming available.
    As soon as you have your Ofsted certificate in hand, and your insurance set up, you can start minding children

There's no 'set in stone' way of doing this, which doesn't help I know, particularly when you are starting out.
    The way I look at things is this:
    Observations are something I do constantly, but when I observe a child doing something I've not seen them do/say before, I will log this, sometimes as a 'wow' moment, sometimes as part of a planned observation, and will relate it to one, or more, of the development statements as appropriate.
    These observations follow the development of the child, so if they're on a learning spree, I could be noting obs and relating to the statements several times a week for a month. When the child slows down, so do the written obs.

Once every term, I will complete the childs tracker, to highlight what stage the child is now at, and what areas have been missed during their learning spree and so require input from me to generate an interest.
    Completing the tracker means I can now see clearly which areas the child is secure in, which areas are developing, and which are emerging, so I can do some individual planning to start bringing the child onwards in their learning.

As you go through the course, things should start making a bit more sense. I know when I was training, we watched a few video's of a 'typical' observational moment and had to point out things we thought should be noted, which really did start making the whole process of observations much more logical.