Inclusion re 14 month old obese child
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inclusion re 14 month old obese child

A child i just took on is extremely large and heavy. I am trying to be inclusive by taking her on and trying to manage but the truth is she is too heavy for me to lift. I can only cuddle her on thr floor. I have already injured myself putting her in car seat. How do i tackle this?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does she walk? I have cared for very heavy little uns. I teach and encourage them to crawl up stairs themselves, crawl/walk to me across room, climb into car and climb into car seat, climb into buggy etc. Basically avoid lifting as much as possible. But then I do this for all kids, saves my back. I never give pick-ups when out (like when they whinge they want a carry), I crouch down to give hugs and then we carry on. I sit on floor for cuddles at home so they just don't expect to be carried by me.
    See what you can do to minimize lifting, it'll get batter as they get more mobile and cooperative. But in the end you need to protect your health so you'll have to say no if you feel at risk of really injuring yourself.

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what you mean, I had a baby from 5 months and she was (is) very large and didn't crawl until 10 months or bear weight or pull herself up to standing until 18 months, thankfully then she did walk several months later, I pulled my shoulder seriously out of alignment and had to see Osteopath several times, she said the injury was consistent with picking heavy weight up from floor. Same shoulder is playing up again, tendon is rubbing on the bone, have it taped at moment and may need cortisone injection!

I agree with Moggy, if your little one can crawl and climb, encourage them to be as independent as you can - could you sit child at low table so you don't have to lift into highchair, car seat is difficult as you have already had to carry them out to the car. I found that a neoprene back support helps (got mine in Argos years ago - sort of like a weight lifting belt).

Do everything you can to get this child walking, my heavy child wouldn't bear weight so I stood her up by sofa, holding her legs straight and on floor and tried to distract her with toys and remote controls just out of reach on sofa. When she would stand, I worked hard with push along baby walker to get her walking.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookiesncream View Post
    A child i just took on is extremely large and heavy. I am trying to be inclusive by taking her on and trying to manage but the truth is she is too heavy for me to lift. I can only cuddle her on thr floor. I have already injured myself putting her in car seat. How do i tackle this?
    I have a big minded babe, he is just starting to move by bottom shuffling/ rolling but is too top heavy to pull himself up or even stay standing if propped up/ lent against anything.

My major concern is that I'm now recovering from appendicitis and I have no idea how long before I can look after this babe again! Luckily mum is lovely!

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Still getting to know her but she is hard work. She doesn't cooperate at all. I have had big babies before but she is massive. I think she finds it hard to climb as she is so overweight. And she wont be led by the hand. When i try to lift her to her feet by putting my hands under her arm pits she puts her arms straight up in the air. I am hoping she gets more mobile soon. I suffer with back problems and was just starting to feel better after a fews months with sciatica. I dont want to go through that again.