school age children deferring a year
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default school age children deferring a year

Hi, I find myself in a bit of a dilema, even though I think I know what the answer is, I wanted to run it past you ladies to see if anyone else has encountered the same problem. I have just had one of my parents tell me they have deferred their child a year from starting school and instead of starting school this September, they will be starting next September. There is no reason for this, other than she is a "summer baby" and mum feels she's too little to start this year.
    I, have however, a mum coming back from maternity cover next January, who, when she has come back, with the child having deferred, will put me over my numbers on a couple of days.
    It never entered my head mum would hold her child back a year and it has just thrown me, what do I do?
    Am I right in thinking, even though they are school age, and by rights should be in full time education, because they are being held back a year, I still have to class them as on my Early Years Register, and are still in my 3 under 5 ratio?

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If they are 4, then yes they will remain in your ey numbers,
    IS BACK

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckylady22 View Post
    Hi, I find myself in a bit of a dilema, even though I think I know what the answer is, I wanted to run it past you ladies to see if anyone else has encountered the same problem. I have just had one of my parents tell me they have deferred their child a year from starting school and instead of starting school this September, they will be starting next September. There is no reason for this, other than she is a "summer baby" and mum feels she's too little to start this year.
    I, have however, a mum coming back from maternity cover next January, who, when she has come back, with the child having deferred, will put me over my numbers on a couple of days.
    It never entered my head mum would hold her child back a year and it has just thrown me, what do I do?
    Am I right in thinking, even though they are school age, and by rights should be in full time education, because they are being held back a year, I still have to class them as on my Early Years Register, and are still in my 3 under 5 ratio?

Would it not come under continuity of care for the mum coming back? I presume you have a child of hers already before she went on maternity leave? also the 4 year old is not new business. I could be wrong but that's how I interpret it.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

My line of thinking is the same as Chris goodyears. Continuity of care.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    My line of thinking is the same as Chris goodyears. Continuity of care.
    yes i did think that, and yes it would all be continuity of care, however, i thought having 5 in the early years group wasn't really acceptable, the most I thought was 4 under 5, even under continuity of care, especially as Ofsted seem to have cracked down on ratios again recently.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

yes i did think that, and yes it would all be continuity of care, however, i thought having 5 in the early years group wasn't really acceptable, the most I thought was 4 under 5, even under continuity of care, especially as Ofsted seem to have cracked down on ratios again recently.
    I have heard of cms having 5 under 5 years of age. I suppose it's if you think you can give them all the amount of care they need. Would they all be full time? Could you have an assistant until the 4 year old starts school? I would look into this rather than let either parent/child down.

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Has the mum been paying to hold her space during her maternity leave?

If she has it will be continuity of care, if not it's classed as new business
    IS BACK

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Paragraph 3.42 of the new EYFS :

3.42. If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and Ofsted inspectors
    or their childminder agency that the individual needs of all the children are being
    met, exceptions to the usual ratios can be made, for example, when childminders
    are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby, or to maintain
    continuity of care. If children aged four and five only attend the childminding
    setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays,
    they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all
    circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for
    must not exceed six.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

According to the ratios and the exceptions if the mum on maternity leave hasnt left your care ie terminated your contract while on maternity leave she can return in theory.

However 5 eyfs for one person is very hard work and ofsted wont tell you what you can or cant do it HOWEVER they will judge you on how you are managing the variation. So if they deem you are not managing the 5 children well they will grade you according.

You would have to think how you would get about how you would plan the different activities so all the children are progressing.

Also if you have any other children if it takes you to more that 6 under 8 then its a no even with continuity of care
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes Kiddleywinks, bunyip liked this post
    Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an aside, the child is not CSA (compulsory school age) at 4, so shouldn't have to be in FT education. I have a summer born child and although I didn't defer her introduction to school, there is alot of research to show that a deferred entry into reception can benefit the child greatly (and conversley starting too young can harm them). If you would like to find out more, and perhaps better understand the reasons your parent has done this, there is an excellent Facebook page called 'Flexible school admissions for summer borns'. xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It may be worth mentioning to the parent that it may be better for her child to start school in Reception with her peer group but only attend 2 or 3 days a week and do remaining days with you - if they aren't attending school 10 sessions a week they would still be classed as 4 and in your EY numbers, rather than a rising 5 but you may be able to juggle this round the new baby starting. Some schools would rather do this than have a child who is a year older than rest of class starting a year late in Reception, although it's now the parent's right to defer the child's entry date by a year, the school don't have to guarantee a space in reception and can instead offer a space in Year 1. I did this many years ago with an August boy - when he started going part time, the reception children didn't go at all on a Wednesday until after Oct half term, but his mum felt he got more out a 1:3 ratio with me, so he stayed with me on a Wednesday until after Easter the following year.

A mindee's brother is an August birthday and mum deferred his entrance - he was at a Private school Nursery (mum is a teacher there), she put his name down for a village school and was told he could have a space in Year 1 - he ended up starting reception in the Private school (luckily mum gets a discount).