Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I accept ill mindee?

Hi Folks,

My nearly 3 year old mindee was off yesterday as she had a suspected UTI, the doctor confirmed and issued medication. I received a text this AM saying LO is still a little uncomfortable, but meds have been given, and if she is happy she will come along in a short while. My reply was that as long as little one is well enough to take part in a normal day, like shopping trip, outdoor play, then I am happy to have her.

Does this sound right, am I being harsh? I just feel that if LO is feeling unwell she should be at home (parent is working from home anyway)

Also if she does arrive I will need to give her meds, I have all the correct forms, but in my experience kids hate the stuff, I have to force it down my own? You cannot do that with a Mindee, so what steps can you take to get them to take it?

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks everybody

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, with the medication I have often found that minded children will happily take it from us, but refuse to take it from parents! You might find it's not as tricky as you imagine. I would warn mum though that is she does refuse to take the medication while she's in your care you will have to phone her to come and do it. Make sure she has already had some of the medicine at home so you know she's not allergic to it.

As for accepting her for care I would say you have done the right thing. I tell parents that if their child is happy in themselves and can carry on with our normal day then I am happy for them to be here. At drop off I do say that if at any time I feel the child isn't coping well and needs to be at home I will phone for them to be collected. I agree that if the lo feels rough she should be at home, but often once they get to your house and among their friends they perk up and forget they were feeling ill. If being with you and her friends doesn't cheer her up though and she still seems unwell, definitely don't feel bad about sending her back home again.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mouse,

Your probably right about taking the meds, they always to stuff for us that they will not do for parents! good tip about informing them to be prepared to come over and administer if I get a refusal!

I am glad I did the right thing, mum text to say LO is still fractious, so she is keeping her home. So I replied saying if she perks up bring her round.

Thanks for your help.

Emma.

4. Likes Mouse, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to hear mum is keeping her at home.

I often tell parents to imagine it's them who's ill. They could probably manage to go to work if they had to, but wouldn't they much rather be tucked up on the sofa at home? It's the same with children. They might not be very ill and could probably manage to go to their childminder, but sometimes all they want is to be comfy at home

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad the mum is keeping her home, poor thing.

It's awkward isn't it. The other advice I would have given is to give her the medicine in the bathroom or put towels/waterproof sheets on the floor as they can often vomit the medicine right back up if it's disgusting. x