Thread: Learning delays

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning delays

Hello everyone,

OK, I've been observing a little guy I look after and I'm now pretty convinced I've spotted a very definite learning delay. What do I do now? Do I need to refer him somewhere? And do I make a note in his learning journal? How do I do it without sounding negative?
    Basically his communication skills are really behind for his age. He is almost 3 and a half and is still not able to have a conversation with either an adult or a child.

He does talk, and can label any object but isn't able to understand when things are explained to him such as 'Let me fix it then I will give it back'. Or 'You can have your juice when we go inside'. He just seems to chat to himself in his own little world and sings songs. Speach is very clear!

Not come across this before and not sure what to do. Certainly don't want to panic anyone but there is definitely a communication problem.

Lisa
    Blondes have more fun!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeMoment View Post
    Hello everyone,

OK, I've been observing a little guy I look after and I'm now pretty convinced I've spotted a very definite learning delay. What do I do now? Do I need to refer him somewhere? And do I make a note in his learning journal? How do I do it without sounding negative?
    Basically his communication skills are really behind for his age. He is almost 3 and a half and is still not able to have a conversation with either an adult or a child.

He does talk, and can label any object but isn't able to understand when things are explained to him such as 'Let me fix it then I will give it back'. Or 'You can have your juice when we go inside'. He just seems to chat to himself in his own little world and sings songs. Speach is very clear!

Not come across this before and not sure what to do. Certainly don't want to panic anyone but there is definitely a communication problem.

Lisa
    Can you try to establish if the child can hear you?
    Can it be glue ear?..if he can talk well but unable to follow instructions it maybe a temporary problem
    Talk to the parents and flag it up...maybe a quick check with the Health Visitor may help

Around that age children do talk to themselves and often sing to themselves too...that is perfectly OK

Simona Guest

Link here if you want to find out more

Do your young children talk to themselves? Good. - SciGuy

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/ecat-child-monitoring-tool.pdf

Print this highlight what he can do it will help clearly show gaps before you talk to parents

2-3 Years | Talking Point

This is a great site too, do the progress checker yourself then get parents to do it.

Do you have access to speech therapists in your area? We can ring and run through our thoughts before getting parent to talk to hv for refferal
    Last edited by blue bear; 15-01-2016 at 08:01 PM.

5. Likes Lal liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very sure he can hear me perfectly well.
    Yes I know children often talk to themselves. But this child isn't able to answer a question, make a simple choice, or hold any sort of simple conversation. If I ask him what he wants for lunch he just repeats what I'm saying.
    Blondes have more fun!

Simona Guest

That's one problem solved if he can hear
    Maybe a question of comprehension?
    Echolalia is also fairly usual at that age
    Hope you get to the bottom of this soon

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Record your concerns, even if it sounds negative.
    Discuss with parents.
    Talk to your senco.
    In our LA we are able to refer to speech therapist ourselves.