Biting
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Biting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Biting

Hello,

Forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section, however I wanted to know whether any of you have had issues with a child persistently biting and if so, do you have any solutions that you would like to share?

I have a little boy who will be 3 in January, he has limited speech and communication skills which I think is the root of the problem. The speech therapist has said he's too young at the moment for professional help. His mum is at the end of her tether, as he is biting his little sister constantly and the other day he headbutted my daughter who is the same age out of frustration because she was talking to him but was repeating herself as she wasn't getting an answer. She is obviously too young to understand why he wouldn't be conversing.

Currently, his mum has asked that if he bites or hits, he goes on the naughty step and he seems to understand when I explain to him why he's been sat there. She is currently seeking the HV's advice too but thought I'd drop you lovely ladies a line to see whether any of you had any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be introducing a time when its ok to bite, a basket with small whole uncut loaf/ soft balls/teething rings the autistic society do a good range/crunchy whole apple anything that's safe and carry on as you are if he bites a person with time out etc I have found the child then finds a favourite thing to bite at frustration times that's not the nearest person. Also trying to pre empt the biting and offering a safe bite able. It's usually a phase that passes as they learn other ways of negotiation X

3. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We are supposed to flag up concerns so early intervention gives children the best chance of success in the future and being ready for school ... clearly nobody told your speech therapist

Poor child needs language intervention and support - you can do so much working with parents one-to-one and small ratios to encourage vocabulary and speech - but they should be giving you help as well ...

I'd push again for a referral xx

5. Likes FloraDora liked this post