Health visitor can't help!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Health visitor can't help!

Parent agreed to allow health visitor to come and visit and observe her child. Health visitor replied and said it was inappropriate because the parent has no concerns. The child has been with us for 10 months, has random tantrums and cries for long periods. The child can be quite fearful of adults and new situations and often not responding to consolation. The child demands control, when this is threatened her reaction is to cry loudly. The child is 20months.

Maybe we should just ring consultant.

We just were looking for some advice as we have run out of ideas.

Please, please help.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Parent agreed to allow health visitor to come and visit and observe her child. Health visitor replied and said it was inappropriate because the parent has no concerns. The child has been with us for 10 months, has random tantrums and cries for long periods. The child can be quite fearful of adults and new situations and often not responding to consolation. The child demands control, when this is threatened her reaction is to cry loudly. The child is 20months.

Please, please help.
    How is the child away from your setting. Have you done a home visit to see what they are like at home.

I not sure what consultant you were thinking of ringing but you can only do this if the parent agrees.

They are still quite young it could be feasible that they haven't settled with you.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this child already have an identified condition (if they under a consultant?)

What are your concerns or reason for wanting the health visitor to be involved? Is there more to it that this behaviour, which doesn't seem too extreme for an almost 2 year old.

Unless there are specific reasons for needing to take things further now, I would continue to monitor behaviour and include it in your 2 year check you will do on the child.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post

Please, please help.
    If the parents has worries she needs to make an appointment with the HV and discuss them...if you have recorded behaviour or other concerns then you have proof and parent can discuss with HV.
    HV do visit settings but they are in very short supply...so make sure you share info with the parent and she can share it with the HV.

It could be the HV asks mum to bring the child over to her....hope it gets sorted.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In Somerset our Children's Centres have become Get Set Services and they can offer parents a wide range of support and advice on parenting skills, child behaviour courses, counselling, family liaison officers - it may be worth looking to see if your Children's Centres offer similar support or advice on how to build up this baby's confidence.

The child is still very young though, I have had children who screamed the whole time at toddler groups unless they were sat on my lap and it took a long time to progress to having them sat on the floor between my legs. (I had a girl who was like this and finally increased her confidence and then her baby brother started and he was exactly the same!) I had an Ofsted inspection while minding the girl and had to ensure for the whole day that I positioned myself between the child and Ofsted inspector at all times otherwise the child would scream hysterically.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    In Somerset our Children's Centres have become Get Set Services and they can offer parents a wide range of support and advice on parenting skills, child behaviour courses, counselling, family liaison officers - it may be worth looking to see if your Children's Centres offer similar support or advice on how to build up this baby's confidence.

The child is still very young though, I have had children who screamed the whole time at toddler groups unless they were sat on my lap and it took a long time to progress to having them sat on the floor between my legs. (I had a girl who was like this and finally increased her confidence and then her baby brother started and he was exactly the same!) I had an Ofsted inspection while minding the girl and had to ensure for the whole day that I positioned myself between the child and Ofsted inspector at all times otherwise the child would scream hysterically.
    Yes in most LAs HV now operate from CC...although they still run session from the GPs surgeries
    CC have to up the parents who register with them as demanded by DFE..most of the 2 year old Progress Checks are carried out from CC as well.

Many LAS have provided registration cards to providers to pass on to parents to encourage them to register with their CC...having said that there will be variations in each LA