Default Nursery World British Value's Poster

2. Likes lollipop kid, Smiley, bunyip liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannetalbot View Post
    Joanne Talbot - this is a GREAT!!! share. Thank you hugely. I love this.

L

4. Likes joannetalbot liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great. Thanks x

6. Likes joannetalbot liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing.

8. Likes joannetalbot liked this post
    Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't take any credit for finding it; somebody kindly posted it on the independent FB group so I thought you guys may appreciate it too

10. Likes lollipop kid, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thankyou Joanne for that link. This is not a negative about you.

But.......I will not be displaying it. It is not representative in my opinion, of the current British society that we live in.

Fish and chips, Yorkshire pudding, yes these used to be a staple diet in Britain and Europeans mock us for the stodge! We are one of the most obese societies in Europe ...Go British ! Our Britishness in food is the fact that we embrace, Italian, indian, chinese, thai, french etc.. The list is long....

So in nurseries a sign with arrows and words will be understood when teaching the children about right and wrong. Litter picking?? The only way we can behave is because we have a police force keeping us on the straight and narrow because we are incapable of doing it ourselves ?..and no other country has a police force or picks up litter ? ( when did you last see mum and children picking litter?)

Community - shopping for toys?

The world - only the Jewish faith represented?

The National gallery representing art? Great for Londoners, but not everyone can visit - Northern Ireland and Scotland inhabitants are a huge distance. Records? Really????? The Beatles of course is the only British band that 2 and 3 and 4 year olds will know and they are so representative of British Values, drug abuse, falling out, legal battles....

There are other things on here that irritate too but I won't moan on.

Just how will this poster aid the teaching of British values? It will be another poster seen on the walls in the playrooms that nobody looks at after the first day, but practitioners will think they are ticking a box because it is up when Ofsted come.

12. Likes Maza, smartbear liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My inlaws are 'experts' on etiquette (promoted in one of the top pictures) but actually are very rude at the table. They talk over people and exclude people and make a lot of people feel very uncomfortable during the eating experience - but the values they lack are not represented in the poster.

Not sure what I feel about the picture of fish and chips - at least peas are included - one of your five a day! It is delicious when cooked well but of course no one should be 'down the chippy' every night for tea. Do we embrace Indian, Chinese food etc? My Indian friends cook the most delicious food and it is nothing like the 'Indian food' we see on a typical takeaway menu. On the other hand (no offence, please don't shoot me down if you are not from England) I am fed up of certain TV chefs mocking British food. British food cooked well (not by me, I'm rubbish) is as good as any cuisine in the world, but the problem is that too many people cannot cook very well compared to other countries. I would love to see British food promoted.

The mum and children picking up litter. I went on a littler walk with my DD recently and told her in no uncertain terms that she must NEVER pick up litter without me. This week at Forest School we were looking for stones and came across an empty condom packet!

The child playing the violin - has anyone seen the price of violin lessons these days? My daughter has been talking about learning to play an instrument - but like so many children in this country she is being brought up in a flat and so we just cannot let her.

I am sounding more and more like a grumpy old woman every day. Sorry.

Thank you for the link - it has got me thinking about 'British Values'. It's actually really interesting to clarify in our own heads what the phrase means and what we actually want to teach/model in terms of values.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Joanne, I'm still very grateful for the share. I've got my own version and am going to display this one too.

I'll use it as a reference/starting point, and will think of it gleefully as I trip happily to the local chippie with my litter stick and black bin bag on Chip Friday.

(Yes, my own children and I pick up litter - hey, I've even taught them to clear snow from less able neighbour's paths, I'm such a rebel. Must be all that subversive Beatles music I grew up on!)

Big hugs,

L
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 14-05-2015 at 08:38 PM.

15. Likes FussyElmo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the poster is a good starting point for a discussion with children.

Just a thought Maza ... my children play the piano-but we have a digital piano which can be played with head phones on and so doesn't disturb anyone!
    ( wish you could get plug in headphones for a trombone! )
    The other thought is to see if your LA run a music scheme with free/subsidised instruments and tuition.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

Just a thought Maza ... my children play the piano-but we have a digital piano which can be played with head phones on and so doesn't disturb anyone!
    The other thought is to see if your LA run a music scheme with free/subsidised instruments and tuition.
    With you on the piano/headphones bit. My son wanted music lessons at school - I was very relieved when he came home with a recorder! (My neighbour runs a music school from his sound-proofed-ish front room and if I hear one more rendition of "We will, we will rock you" on guitar and drums ... Well, let's just say, I might find a new use for that recorder!)

L

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    Joanne, I'm still very grateful for the share. I've got my own version and am going to display this one too.

I'll use it as a reference/starting point, and will think of it gleefully as I trip happily to the local chippie with my litter stick and black bin bag on Chip Friday.

(Yes, my own children and I pick up litter - hey, I've even taught them to clear snow from less able neighbour's paths, I'm such a rebel. Must be all that subversive Beatles music I grew up on!)

Big hugs,

L
    I'm also very grateful for the poster - sorry if it didn't come across that way.
    What is Chip Friday? When I was little we had 'chippie tea' every Thursday. My brothers and I had a rota and took it in turns to go. I used to see half the neighbours in there - it was definitely a local tradition! Those were the days when they used newspaper for wrapping Every time I go up north I insist on chippie tea. I'm too embarrassed to admit what I have though - it does include mushy peas but other than that it is stodge, stodge, stodge and I love it! x

19. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Thankyou Joanne for that link. This is not a negative about you.

But.......I will not be displaying it. It is not representative in my opinion, of the current British society that we live in.

Fish and chips, Yorkshire pudding, yes these used to be a staple diet in Britain and Europeans mock us for the stodge! We are one of the most obese societies in Europe ...Go British ! Our Britishness in food is the fact that we embrace, Italian, indian, chinese, thai, french etc.. The list is long....

So in nurseries a sign with arrows and words will be understood when teaching the children about right and wrong. Litter picking?? The only way we can behave is because we have a police force keeping us on the straight and narrow because we are incapable of doing it ourselves ?..and no other country has a police force or picks up litter ? ( when did you last see mum and children picking litter?)

Community - shopping for toys?

The world - only the Jewish faith represented?

The National gallery representing art? Great for Londoners, but not everyone can visit - Northern Ireland and Scotland inhabitants are a huge distance. Records? Really????? The Beatles of course is the only British band that 2 and 3 and 4 year olds will know and they are so representative of British Values, drug abuse, falling out, legal battles....

There are other things on here that irritate too but I won't moan on.

Just how will this poster aid the teaching of British values? It will be another poster seen on the walls in the playrooms that nobody looks at after the first day, but practitioners will think they are ticking a box because it is up when Ofsted come.
    Strangely British Values in this poster do not mention Human Rights....including children's rights in the UNCRC
    After the Tories have done away with our human rights what is there to display?
    Sad that Nursery World have produced a poster on values we have been abiding to since EYFS 2008 was published...if not even before that!
    Last edited by Simona; 14-05-2015 at 09:10 PM.

21. Likes FloraDora, greenfaerie liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

Oooh, thanks. I will look into those ideas. Brilliant. x

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I'm also very grateful for the poster - sorry if it didn't come across that way.
    What is Chip Friday? When I was little we had 'chippie tea' every Thursday. My brothers and I had a rota and took it in turns to go. I used to see half the neighbours in there - it was definitely a local tradition! Those were the days when they used newspaper for wrapping Every time I go up north I insist on chippie tea. I'm too embarrassed to admit what I have though - it does include mushy peas but other than that it is stodge, stodge, stodge and I love it! x
    I've been going to our local chippie for 25 years (whole time I've been in London). We only go about once a month (hence Chip Friday) and it's always pickled onion vinegar for us. I also keep a jar of 'Silver-skin' onions at home just for these occasions. They paper wrap the chips (although sadly not newspaper).

I'm still thin despite this, my cholesterol was low/negligible at my last health check and my children are thin. But we walk everywhere, still play hopscotch and loads of games involving running, hopping etc. (British values for me is trying to revive good old outdoor team play and strong friendships as well as some authentic tastes from my childhood - no chips for the mindees, though, as their parents would have a fit!)

Had mushy-peas once when I was c.19, at a chippie in Liverpool (I was doing sketch work at the Garden Festival), where a bunch of local girls I got talking to took me to the Cavern. A 10 minute trip to the chippie took me 6 hours. My boss was not impressed, but my sketches the next day were my best ever, so he let me off!

L

25. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish Friday is actually a historical thing - I think based on the fact Catholics could only eat fish on a Friday! Since I found that out I have noticed how many canteens and cafes have fish and chips on Fridays!

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LilMisConfused View Post
    Fish Friday is actually a historical thing - I think based on the fact Catholics could only eat fish on a Friday! Since I found that out I have noticed how many canteens and cafes have fish and chips on Fridays!
    So true, but not in our house.

We only do Chip Friday (and defo no fish for the reasons you mentioned - I am so anti-that, as I grew up surrounded by sectarian nonsense - shudder!) because it is my only mindee-free day when my two children get me to themselves.

L

28. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

My issues on the whole "British Values" thing are varied, but I still love saving resources and materials in case I need them! My main issue is that I don't think that British Values differ from good values in any culture that reinforces human rights. I'm also uncomfortable when I see cutlery included on posters and other materials like this, because I thought it was nice that Development Matters said "Be aware of eating habits at home and of the different ways people eat their food, e.g. that eating with clean fingers is as skilled and equally valued as using cutlery." I guess I feel guilty if I feel like I am communicating British customs as superior to others, particularly if I am trying to make people feel welcome in my home.

The EYFS already taught children these values, just not under the guise of "Britishness" Sorry to add a rant on to the pile of complaints about BV! :S

30. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    My issues on the whole "British Values" thing are varied, but I still love saving resources and materials in case I need them! My main issue is that I don't think that British Values differ from good values in any culture that reinforces human rights. I'm also uncomfortable when I see cutlery included on posters and other materials like this, because I thought it was nice that Development Matters said "Be aware of eating habits at home and of the different ways people eat their food, e.g. that eating with clean fingers is as skilled and equally valued as using cutlery." I guess I feel guilty if I feel like I am communicating British customs as superior to others, particularly if I am trying to make people feel welcome in my home.

The EYFS already taught children these values, just not under the guise of "Britishness" Sorry to add a rant on to the pile of complaints about BV! :S
    Well said... I also would like to know how we could say the Asian custom of eating with their hands and using naan bread to put food in mouth is not in line with BV?...or telling Chinese people that chopsticks are not ideal!...tell Italians they need to use a knife and fork to eat pizza when using fingers is perfectly acceptable in our culture....or asking people to sit at the table when in their culture sitting on the floor is perfectly acceptable.

I cannot but feel the govt is trying to score a political point ...do as you are told by the nanny state.
    I do not mind in the least having shared values and most are shared worldwide and it is poor of Nicky Morgan, the Secretary of State for Education, to push such nonsense...I would suggest Nicky Morgan concentrate on women and equality of which she is also in charge... whose rights are to be abolished by her predecessor as Justice minister.

32. Likes FloraDora, greenfaerie liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For clarification - this poster was not written by Nursery World magazine.

It is from Nursery Resources a company which produces ... resources for nurseries!

It's just one more way that will help providers get to grips with British Values and I am sure they will be delighted that it has sparked respectful discussion
    Last edited by sarah707; 17-05-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Simona Guest

Thank you for the clarification Sarah......the poster is indeed published by Nursery World and produced for nurseries by some sort of company but BV apply to the whole sector not just nurseries?
    It is a very basic poster that goes no further than what we already do and I am sure the vast majority of providers have by now got to grips with...how many CMs though will have room for such a poster on their wall?

It will certainly spark discussions ...polite and heated as well and raise concerns as BV have as yet to be defined.

Equally those who are concerned about human rights must have the right to raise that concern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast