Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Speech Advice

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Speech Advice

Hello. I'm just looking for advice re speech of a 22 month old. I've noticed that she doesn't say many clear words, she can say hiya and mummy clearly but most other words she missing off the end of the word ie. book is 'bu', juice is 'ju', wash is 'wa'. I have her part time and have been discussing it with mum who is really lovely and open to advice. I'm wondering whether I should recommend mum to visit the HV and ask to be referred for a hearing test? What are your thoughts on this regarding unclear words, not had much experience with speech issues.
    Thanking you

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think 22 months is a bit early to be worrying about speech problems. I have a mindee who was 2 in November and only now are we getting a few recognisable words although each week there are more so I expect very soon we will have an explosion of words as is often the case. if mum is concerned there is no harm in mentioning it to the health visitor but I wouldn't be worried. They all develop at their own pace and to prove the point I also have a mindee who will not be 2 until beginning of August and for a couple of months has been talking really well so that she can repeat everything we say and she can hold a proper conversation!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't be worried at 22 mths esp as LO is talking! I had 2 mindees ... One was 2 1/2, the other 2 & 4mths and neither said hardly a thing ... and suddenly they both started talking at the same time ... and never stopped!

The ICAN website has some good info on it.

4. Likes Rosy Days liked this post
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab, thanks for the replies. I was just abit concerned about the unclear words really, is she hearing them correctly, but I suppose 22 months is a little young. All the other little ones I have had or have at the moment have been really clear early talkers, (15 month old says a few really clear words already) so I suppose I am looking at that and getting ahead of myself. Will just keep an eye it. Thank you

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Print this and highlight what she can do it should reassure you, keep it and add to it as time goes by to track her progress

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/fi...ring_tool1.pdf

7. Likes Rosy Days, lollipop kid liked this post