Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy72 View Post
    Hi, hope you don't mind me asking....I have 2 children, just turned 2 who both attend the same nursery for more days than they come to me. Is it acceptable to confirm with nursery that they will be doing the 2 year check and ask for a copy for their file. Thanks.
    No where in the EYFS does it say 'the setting that has the child the most hours' should be the one to do the 2-yr Check...

Do it together with the nursery (equal input with both settings named equally) or do one yourself. At an inspection they want to read what you are doing to support that child at your setting and how you think they are progressing and what concerns you may have. I doubt they will be interested in a report written by another setting when inspecting you.

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile I've called mine: Child's name: EYFS - Progress Check at Age Two ...

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    This is taken from one of our threads on the Independent Childminders Facebook group.

I started the thread after attending training last night. The trainer told us that some childminders are being downgraded by Ofsted for not having a summary assessment called ‘2 year progress check’ in children’s files when children are between the ages of 2 and 3 years old.

Some childminders have the check but have called it something else – and that’s not good enough for Ofsted because the 2 year progress check is statutory (required by the EYFS) and must be called by its proper name!

So this is information and advice taken the thread…

You must have a 2 year progress check in every child’s file at some point when they are between the ages of 2 and 3 years old. The document MUST be called ‘2 year progress check’ and it must be retained for inspection by Ofsted while the child is in your care.

Here are some more tips …

- If they attend another setting try and do it in partnership but if that's not possible just do one and give it to parents, putting a copy in the child's file.
    - Even if the child is part time - do a progress check for their file.
    - Ideally it should tie in with the health visitor check but that's not essential.
    - The progress check must say '2 year progress check' at the top - even if you have just written another summary assessment you must re-print or re-write and call it a '2 year progress check'.
    - It must cover how the child is getting on in the prime areas and if they are falling behind. It can cover other things - that's up to you.
    - It should include parents comments and the contents should not be a shock to them.
    - It doesn't need to be long - just a few lines saying what the child can do and what they are working on next.
    - The main reason for the progress check is to flag up concerns - so if you are worried about anything you must include it. Don't try and sugar coat it like you normally might in observations or summary assessments - because negatives must be included.
    - Ideally it should be given to the health visitor by parents - but it's not your problem is this does not happen.
    - You must keep it in the child's learning and development file for inspection - some LAs are saying it should be in their safeguarding and welfare file but that's a recommendation and not a requirement.

Ideas for writing the check

It does not need to be long or complicated or take you a long time to complete. If you know your child well you will be able to write positively about what they can do and then add information about what you are working on next. If you have concerns about the child you must flag them up. Here are some ideas –

C & L - the child has lots of words and can talk in 2 and sometimes 3 word sentences. He listens well when you get his attention. We are working on pronouncing words correctly especially words that start with xxx.

PSED - the child is learning to share and take turns really well and enjoys cooperative games. He has lots of friends here and at pre-school. We are working on remembering behaviour goals.

PD - the child moves in lots of different ways confidently. He has good fine motor skills and uses scissors and a crayon well. We are working on learning about how to keep ourselves safe because he sometimes rushes into new situations without considering the risks.

Those are all pretty common statements for a 2 year old and they cover all 3 prime areas of learning. They tell parents and the health visitor that you feel the child is typical for their age. If you were worried about something you might put a little more detail eg...

C & L - the child does not seem to hear me in a quiet room. I have suggested mum asks for a referral to an audiologist for a hearing check... or something like that.

I hope that helps…
    I've called mine: Child's name: EYFS - Progress Check at Age Two ... as per the cover of "A Know-how Guide. The EYFS progress check at age two". I hope that's OK!

Re. the timing, I was criticised by Ofsted at my last inspection for doing mine too early, and told that I should do it sometime between age two and three. (I told the lady I had chosen to do it at 24 months in agreement with the parent so that the parent had the information to hand when she was booking the appointment with the Health Visitor, which I understood to be around 27 months. The inspector just looked at me blankly and still criticised me for doing it too early.) Don't worry - I'm over it now! I had stopped doing these as early because of her comments, but perhaps I'll go back to doing these closer to 24 months again.

PS: I've just done one and it took me 90 minutes in total (including printing and binding two copies of it for the parent meeting.)
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 19-01-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah. X

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

moggy....in the 'A know how guide, The EYFS progress check at age two' it does say:

'in the case of children who are attending more than one setting, the progress check would normally be carried out by the child's key person at the setting where the child spends the greatest amount of time each week. However, the setting carrying out the progress check should consider whether it would be helpful to get the views of other practitioners working with the child at the other setting or settings'.

In an ideal world yes it would be useful to get together with other setting and do it jointly. I have regular discussions with parents regarding development, cover next steps, obs, do tracking etc and would speak to them directly if I had any concerns. I know it would be me leading the check if we did it together (I used to work at this particular nursery). As long as I get a copy and it paints the same picture of the child, I think I would have everything else covered.

6. Likes lollipop kid, Maza liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy72 View Post
    moggy....in the 'A know how guide, The EYFS progress check at age two' it does say:

'in the case of children who are attending more than one setting, the progress check would normally be carried out by the child's key person at the setting where the child spends the greatest amount of time each week. However, the setting carrying out the progress check should consider whether it would be helpful to get the views of other practitioners working with the child at the other setting or settings'.

In an ideal world yes it would be useful to get together with other setting and do it jointly. I have regular discussions with parents regarding development, cover next steps, obs, do tracking etc and would speak to them directly if I had any concerns. I know it would be me leading the check if we did it together (I used to work at this particular nursery). As long as I get a copy and it paints the same picture of the child, I think I would have everything else covered.
    That sounds good and I'd put a copy if that 'know how guide' with bit highlighted in child's folder too, in case the inspector only refers to EYFS because in EYFS itself it does not say it can be the main setting only who do it. A good reminder for me too- thank you, yet again EYFS doc is not clear.

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very helpful thankyou.

Are those the only headings we need? What about literacy, maths, understanding the world etc?

Thanks

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I call mine: "The EYFS Progress Check at Age Two" (as per the NCB - National Children's Bureau and the Department for Education - document entitled: "A Know How Guide" - Crown copyright 2012.)

I hope this is acceptable.

Every one I have done since September 2012 has been based on the above.

If questioned by Ofsted, I will just dig the above document out and explain that this is what I have been following.

L

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12