Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Silly Newbie Question

Hello

this may be a silly question, but I am a newbie so please forgive me.

I have a son, who is 7 months old. Is he still counted in my ratios for a particular day if he is not in my home (i.e being cared for by a relative?)

Thanks for your help

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Elkie Mawdsley View Post
    Hello

this may be a silly question, but I am a newbie so please forgive me.

I have a son, who is 7 months old. Is he still counted in my ratios for a particular day if he is not in my home (i.e being cared for by a relative?)

Thanks for your help
    Now that is a very good question...I am sure others will interpret differently but this is what I would do
    Contact Ofsted...I know they do not offer advice but worth trying and that is not covered under Cms ratios

our own children are part of the ratio but it your child is not 'physically' taking a space then he is not there but with relatives so that space is vacant...does that mean you can give to a minded child? I have not seen anything that says Yes or No

Our own school aged children count when they are there in the afternoon but not AM...I know cms send their own children to another cm or preschool...so it is the same issue.

What would you do if he was sick and you needed to care for him? or your relatives go away? would that make you go over numbers?
    you need to address that to be sure...see what others think but worth looking into this

very intriguing but so maddening we have to query each time...good luck and let us know if you get a reply from Ofsted

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought our own children counted in our numbers whether they are with us or not, no matter where they are. I mean those at fall into the under 8 age group?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TrudiR View Post
    I thought our own children counted in our numbers whether they are with us or not, no matter where they are. I mean those at fall into the under 8 age group?
    I am not sure that is why I have left it open...I am sure someone will come along with an answer maybe...or not??

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

When the revised eyfs came in 2012 , there was a exception built in for your own children not to be counted in your ratios when they are not with you,but it's not for the occasional day etc it's for children who live part time with you and part time with daddy so on the days they live at daddy's house they are daddy's total responsibility so not in your numbers.

You cannot get granny to have them for a regular day to free up your numbers as they are ultimately still your responsibility, if child was poorly or granny was Ill you would have to go get your little one and it would take you over numbers.

Simona Guest

We are now aware there are 2 threads with the same question...what has become clear a is that no one is 'absolutely' sure of the answer because each one is interpreting it their own way ....

Blue bear ...that would make sense when children have parents who are separated
    For me the bottom line is 6 under 8...would it matter if our own children went to say a cm on a certain day and we gave that day to a mindee?
    not sure but the govt cannot complain there is shortage of childcare, acute shortage of 2 year old places and holiday care and then put bureaucracy in our way

It is very much unclear and I hope Elkie can get answers from the powers that be...as I said in the other thread I will try to get clarification

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona I contacted the dfe and got my answer unfortunelty the computer got a virus and Iv'e lost it(should have printed it )

Sending your child to a childminder to me is like sending to granny in that you are still responsible. The only person who would give you a definite answer is the InSpector who comes out to investigate the allegation you are over your number, I'd rather count my child in my numbers than risk that.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Simona I contacted the dfe and got my answer unfortunelty the computer got a virus and Iv'e lost it(should have printed it )

Sending your child to a childminder to me is like sending to granny in that you are still responsible. The only person who would give you a definite answer is the InSpector who comes out to investigate the allegation you are over your number, I'd rather count my child in my numbers than risk that.
    Oh glad to hear you had an answer...so sad you lost the email!!!

I have not said it is possible to do...I am questioning the EYFS and the wording in it and why we are put in a situation where we have to worry each time and ...maybe stop the saga of the variations that is why I raised it at OBC on behalf of Cm not for myself!

Your reply seems to me you are not sure either...no one is we are all cautious I think.....how can someone report a cm if her child is at her relatives?
    all that needs to be done is to get a proper answer....I wonder if it will be possible to post it on the Ex Inspectors' new blog...they would know
    Worth a try.
    Last edited by Simona; 03-05-2014 at 07:57 AM.