Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Back up emergency-I don't have one!

Hello

As I have relocated to the area, I do not know anyone and have not yet been to any groups as I am still working my notice. So what do I do with regards to a back. Up in an emergency. I used to always have a childminder up the road who I worked with and we supported each other, practiced emergency procedures etc and it worked quite well.

Also, I would not want just anyone to be my back up childminder. So do I 'HAVE' to have one on my policies?

Thanks in advance

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have one but I do tell parents I can get them the number of one if they would like to have a back up so far no one has wanted one.

3. Likes MAWI liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I checked with ofsted at my pre reg about this as most of my non working friends are retired.

She said it was ok to leave a child in an emergency with an adult who was dbs checked and in my opinion, suitable - not neccesarily a childminder. She pointed out that most childminders would be full looking after there own children....we agreed that my husband, who knows the children really well as he is also retired would be suitable, as is my neighbour who is dbs checked and volunteers for homestart and is part of the roving church team who goes around the schools taking assemblies.

I ask parents if they have any contingency plans, but I don't think it is up to me to make sure I have another childminder that my LO's can go to if I am ill for instance. However I do have names of local CM's that do adhoc at the moment so that I would appear helpful, but , touch wood, I hope I don't ever need to put it into play.

5. Likes MAWI liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My emergency contacts are purely that. People I will call in an emergency so I can go to hospital/deal with child in an emergency. They will care for the children until parents can collect them asap.

They are my husband who works 2 mins away and if he is not there, several others from his office have said they would come. Then I have 2 friends who live round the corner and another friend who lives about 10 mins away.
    None of these people are childminders but ( amazingly!) excepting the office staff, all have dbs/crb. In an emergency I will leave children with a suitable adult whom I trust. I know lots of people locally and would get the first/best one I can. There is only one other childminder locally and she is full.

If I am unable to work due to illness type emergency or needing a day off for something then the parents have to arrange alternative care themselves.

7. Likes MAWI liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

loocylou - do you have a 'emergency situation policy' where you have set this procedure in stone? I am just writing mine at the moment and wondered if you have had to name all the individuals or do you just state 'a trusted adult'? Many Thanks x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wee_elf View Post
    loocylou - do you have a 'emergency situation policy' where you have set this procedure in stone? I am just writing mine at the moment and wondered if you have had to name all the individuals or do you just state 'a trusted adult'? Many Thanks x
    I do list the '4 main emergency carers', and put their contact details, plus relationship to me, and then put, 'in an emergency, if necessary, child/ren will be left with a suitable trusted adult' I say to all parents that they have to trust me! If I wouldn't leave my own children with someone, then I would not leave a minded child with them! I also point out that in over 10 yrs of childminding, I have only once had to leave minded children with anyone, and on that occaision it was with my assistant, as it was 'home time' and I had to take my DS to hospital with concussion. that isn't to say it won't happen tomorrow though.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband works two minutes away so can be home in a flash. He can easily access the children's contact details and all are known to him except one new one but he would be fine. I also have a close friend who lives round the corner, she isn't a cm but she often meets up with us with her toddler so is well known to the children and two out of three mums have met her too

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You, it really gives me food for thought. I have a lot to consider before setting my procedure in stone. thanks for the replies x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear ofsteds take. I've always said to parents that because I don't know any CMs well enough in the area, in an emergency I'd use my common sense and leave their children with someone who I would leave my own child with. Likely to be my partner or dad who live with us and have had all of ofsted checks until they can collect

Simona Guest

In my view there is a difference between 'Back up cover' cms and those people we use in an 'emergency'.....

The former means CMs could be called to cover holidays, sick days etc (as the agencies are promising to provide but not sure how they will implement this promise)...these can be discussed with parents and even named in your contract
    There is the risk they will not be able to 'cover' if when we are on holiday they are full

The latter is someone we rely on and have informed the parents we will use in an emergency....such as taking a child to hospital or such like

That's how I make the distinction

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    In my view there is a difference between 'Back up cover' cms and those people we use in an 'emergency'.....

The former means CMs could be called to cover holidays, sick days etc (as the agencies are promising to provide but not sure how they will implement this promise)...these can be discussed with parents and even named in your contract
    There is the risk they will not be able to 'cover' if when we are on holiday they are full

The latter is someone we rely on and have informed the parents we will use in an emergency....such as taking a child to hospital or such like

That's how I make the distinction

I totally agree with you. My previous childminder who was my back up was always full or working on a variation, so never ale to cover for holidays etc..

I think I will put down my 18 year old daughter as person I would use in an emergency( as it would in theory be her until she goes off to UNI) who is CRB checked, will be familiar with the children and know where all contacts are and also know the parents. I think this will be my best option as I do not know anyone else yet. My hubby works in London and highly unlikely to get back within an hour so not worth putting down.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

think this is very much a common sense situation. We can appoint someone who could help us out in an emergency situation but in reality it all depends on whether that person is at home or where we are - there are quite a few people I would have in mind but they are not on standby so I cannot be sure that they would be able to come but hopefully as I have a few people in mind and DH is at home most of the day then I feel that someone wuld be available

16. Likes MAWI liked this post