Settling new children
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Settling new children

I'm not sure if this is the best place, I'm newly register and don't have anyone lined up yet, just starting to advertise properly, but it just struck me are there any tips people have for settling new little ones with me?
    My own son is 18 months old and quite clingy when new people/children are around and I'm not sure how well he'd do if I had a little one clung to me in tears all day (as he did for his childminder when I returned to work myself!), my thoughts were to get out of the house like a toddler group or softplay somewhere my son can be distracted and knows well enough he's happy to run off without me, allowing me to focus on the new one, or is it better to stay home and let them get used to that first?
    Not really sure what to expect and I know every child is different but if anyone can share their experiences and tips I'd be very grateful, I think the better prepared I am the easier it'll be for new ones to settle.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually stay home for a week or two with new children so we can get used to each other but it does depend on the age of the child. If a young baby then yes I would go out to toddler groups etc but if between 1 - 3 ish maybe stay home.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I actually like to go out with a new mindee as I think you are then the familiar person in a new situation and it can help child to connect and bond quicker.
    However, if it was obvious it wasn't working I would head home!

Post Thanks / Like

Staying at home could be very intense for your LO Sharing you, his ground and toys etc I would keep to your normal routine as much as possible. New child will soon settle in as long as you are stable and consistent.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I stay in for the first session but then I carry on with normal routine as its best for they there's already in your care even if that is your son.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, it's really helpful to hear what others do, I think I'm going to offer a few short settling sessions to new ones, stay in for the first one or two, then carry on as normal, I think it will be even worse for a new little one to have my boy screaming and upset too, at least if we get out and about he'll be happy, then from looking after friends babies my own son chills out a bit once we've been out and come back home, I think it's all bit like someone is taking over his mummy/toys/house etc to start!
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

When I was expecting my second child some one explained that for the first it's like your partner bringing home another wife and she will share all your clothes , your kitchen and home take his attention. Whilst minded children are a little different it gives you an idea how your own child/children feel. I always made sure that MY work toys which I share with everyone were separate from my own children's toys and that they were allowed their own non share toys/place to play.

8. Likes loocyloo, AliceK liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that advice of ensuring your child still has their own toys that they do not have to share. xx

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

How about considering pick ups to start with?