Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What happens to CoEL now EYO is here

Are we still referencing these with the new EYO?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As EYO and DM are still current non-statutory documents, characteristics of effective learning are still very much important. Inspectors have been told to refer to EYO but there are still important and relevant parts of DM

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

im totally confused by the whole thing so last night sat and typed out the eyo into age order and have printed them off and put in each lj along with dm but they are repeating what dm says most of the time so with obs i will just write the link to eyo and continue with dm as have always done - hopefully this is right. I wouldnt have even known about eyo if it werent for this site
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This thread posted by Simona should clear it up

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ice-yours.html

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by itsybitsyteeny View Post
    Are we still referencing these with the new EYO?
    Neither DM or EYO are statutory...both are a guidance but the Characteristics of Effective Learning (and Teaching) are actually a statutory requirement...see EYFS 2012 p.6-7

So whatever document you choose to use the CoEL need to be linked and summarised in your progress report for any child....how they learn and how you adapt to their style.

No need to be confused...carry on doing exactly as you were before, make sure you have both DM and EYO printed, get familiar with the EYO and be confident to discuss your methods with the inspector

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrs robbie williams View Post
    im totally confused by the whole thing so last night sat and typed out the eyo into age order and have printed them off and put in each lj along with dm but they are repeating what dm says most of the time so with obs i will just write the link to eyo and continue with dm as have always done - hopefully this is right. I wouldnt have even known about eyo if it werent for this site
    Awww I wish you'd asked first! I have already done it!

it's here for anyone else who wants a copy xx

Early Years Outcomes - Knutsford Childminding

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lol thank you Sarah! :-):-):-) So pleased I'm am putting off doing anything and saw these ... Will save a bit of time! :-):-):-)
    Typically I only printed off stuff for my new little starter a couple of weeks ago...DM! However I need to do my summatives etc so EYO will get me going again!

8. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrs robbie williams View Post
    There is nothing to be confused about and no need to print EYO for each child...after all the DfE is intent on reducing paperwork...or so they say... so why are you increasing it by printing EYO for each child

As you say continue using DM and check progress against EYO when you assess

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When it became a fundamental part of EYFS, I found CoEL was relatively simple to integrate into my existing LJs/obs/summative assessments/parental reviews etc. So I doubt whether I'd take now it out even if it fell out of fashion with the next shift in 'expert' opinion.

Hard-copy EYO and/or DM can be useful in LJ's for various reasons. I find some parents like to see something official-looking that confirms there lo's progress. O I'd say that if you want to type/copy and bind it in there, well the choice is yours.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    When it became a fundamental part of EYFS, I found CoEL was relatively simple to integrate into my existing LJs/obs/summative assessments/parental reviews etc. So I doubt whether I'd take now it out even if it fell out of fashion with the next shift in 'expert' opinion.

Hard-copy EYO and/or DM can be useful in LJ's for various reasons. I find some parents like to see something official-looking that confirms there lo's progress. O I'd say that if you want to type/copy and bind it in there, well the choice is yours.
    Here you go again Bunyip...the CoEL are as old as the hills ...nothing to do with 'experts' opinions as you say... the best way to deal with this is to throw all the books away that have been written for centuries about child development?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Lol thank you Sarah! :-):-):-) So pleased I'm am putting off doing anything and saw these ... Will save a bit of time! :-):-):-)
    Typically I only printed off stuff for my new little starter a couple of weeks ago...DM! However I need to do my summatives etc so EYO will get me going again!
    Well. Dh is in hospital today (nothing major) and I took the day off to be with him ... I printed off new EYO sheets last night and have now updated everyone :-) Meant to bring summatives to do but forgot! However have made notes so should be able to get them done pretty quick at home! Made good use of a wasted day!

13. Likes sarah707 liked this post