Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Continuity advice

Ok bare with me!

I have one space left on a Friday for under 5. A mum wants to send her 3 yr old to me.

I KNOW she will end up wanting her 16 month old to come sooner rather than later too.

So, bear in mind this is my second week of childminding and only registered a month do you think it wise for me to do?
    I could say its continuity of care can't i?

Also I have a feeling that after Xmas she will want to increase days, if that was the case I would be 2 over for 2 days per week and 1 over for 1 day a week. Would I still be ok under continuity or would it be a grey area due to being in this a short time?

I don't want to fluff up my first grading inspection when it comes or be shut down and I also hate to let people down, my area is clearly crying out for cm.

Just looking for advice, thoughts and opinions really to see if I'm right if I did it or if I'm in danger of getting it wrong!

Thanks everyone.
    X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you'd be on very dodgy ground doing it.

You would basically be taking a family on knowing they would want to send an extra child & add extra days. For an odd day or few hours you could possibly justify it, but to be having 5 EYs children 2 days a week and 4 on another day is really pushing it.

If it genuinely happened you could count it as continuity, but even then I think you'd be pulled up on it. I think you'd be pushing your luck to try it so early in your childminding career and so soon into a contract.

But at the end of the day you are the only one who can make the decision. My personal opinion is to say you would be wrong to take on this child knowing the family will very soon put you over your numbers. It certainly wouldn't be in the best interests of any of the children. Having 5 children under 5 is very hard work, even for experienced childminders. If your inspector was to come on a day when you were over your numbers they could easily mark you down. Is it really worth it?

Have you thought about getting an assistant for the times you would have more than 3 children?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

5 under 5 and you have been childminding 2 weeks. I would say you were on very dodgy ground. If ofsted deem you are over minding they will grade you inadequate and insist parents come and remove their children from you. You are then stuck with inadequate for 6/12 months and maybe have monitoring visits.

Ofsted are also coming down heavily on minders with 5 saying they are only providing care not a learning environment. Not in all cases but in a lot.

You have a thriving business being full 4 out of 5 days is it worth jeopardising it?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree....Ofsted would not look favourably on that situation; you also don't want to overload yourself, particularly so soon after starting. You've done amazingly well to be as full as you are....settle into the job and make sure you are comfortable with the admin side of the job because it can take up a lot of your time

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    I think this all depends on how well you could provide care for all the children's needs and the learning environment that you need to keep Ofsted happy. Its a very different situation to be minding 5 children who are say, 4 x well behaved 3 yr olds plus one toddler or say, a baby, 2 toddlers and 2 x 4 yr olds whose behaviour needs constant attention !....

It is hard to say no, but I would think very hard about what you are comfortable with and if you went ahead with the 3 yr old on Fridays, I would be very clear to Mum that any variation in future for other child or extra days will have to be considered as they come up and you couldn't guarantee the places for all the reasons mentioned in the posts above.

Do what's right for you, its not worth running yourself into the ground or putting your grading at risk. You're only human. Say no if its the right thing for you and the children. Good luck

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Put aside the rights/wrongs and applicability of increased numbers for continuity of care, just for one moment.

I'm not going to try and judge your ability to care for 5 under 5's, since I don't even know you. I may well be wrong, but I sense in the original post that you may indeed doubt whether this might be more than you want to take on, so early in your career.

I too hate letting people down, but we all need to take care that we remain in control of our settings and don't take things on under pressure from needy parents to a point where things get out of hand: that can only lead to letting people down in a different and potentially damaging way.

What's worse:-
    • Letting a parent down by saying "no" to their request for care?
    • Letting a parent down by taking on the children, finding it's too much, and having to give notice?
    • Letting a parent down by taking on too much, struggling, and not giving the best possible care? Possibly even ending up with an accident?

(If I've misjudged, feel free to ignore my comments.)

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, thank you all for replying. I wanted honesty, personal opinions and professional advice.

I think the reason I posted the question was because I had a gut feeling that I didn't feel comfortable with it, I am looking into an assistant for the 3 days then look to fill the other free spaces to pay for said assistant. I'm speaking to someone who has childhood studies degree but she has interview lined up so it may not work out.
    I'm also in two minds as to whether it's too much too soon, lovely as it is to have this much work! It does feel a bit like I'm on a runaway train..

I think an assistant would be lovely at some point but as has been pointed out, I'm second week in and not yet felt the burn of the paperwork (starting up paperwork aside.lol). I feel a bit of pressure I guess so thanks for making it clear.
    I do want a good ofsted report and it will only be good if the quality of care I provide is spot on. A discussion I had with my hubby this morning was that if I did do it, I wouldn't be able to provide quality care or the eyfs and would just be fire fighting through the day.

I will say a resounding no, keep my space on a Friday free so it's an easier day and tell her to get back to me only if my assistant thing works out and if I decide I want an assistant so soon. My health and sanity is more important than money.

Honestly guys, I came into this from a nursery with 13 key children and supervising staff thinking this would be a breeze compared to there but ...... It isn't at all! It's less stressful in the sense of no staff to moan all day but I'm still settling my 2 yr old into the new venture and settling children into a routine.

I really appreciate this forum and people who take time to comment if they can, it really is an excellent source of support and advice for childminders.

X

8. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on you, sounds like a good plan. I have three most days, on days I have two it's easier I can get out easier etc, and one morning a week I have four ., it's hard work and I hate Wednesday mornings! Wish I hadn't said yes but child filled a Monday and I thought I would lose him jf I said no.. I am busy here phone always ringing, which is the opposite to most people so we are lucky but it brings it's own problems! Best of luck x

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I am thankful for being so busy but like you day I think can also be a real test!
    I appreciate what I have and despite having own child and experience nothing compares to this! I don't know how mothers with big broods manage it! Lol.

Thanks, good luck with your business too x