Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Two year check

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Two year check

I've been on maternity leave for 5 month & only returned to work mid September, all of the children I had before maternity have returned to me. One of the Los I had turned two at the end of August so I know I need to do the 2 year check but he has only been back with me for 4 weeks so I've been observing him etc to see where he's at now before I complete the check. Yesterday mum told me he has his 2 year check with the health visitor today so what do I do now?

TIA

Kirsty xx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Where was he while you were on maternity leave? I take it they didn't do his two year check? Is this a little one you have any concerns about? There's not much you can do with such short notice! How frustrating for you. You will still need to do the check as it is a legal requirement and Ofsted will want to see it. Perhaps you could offer to email it to the Health Visitor when you have done it. They are actually quite straightforward to do but my first one took me quite a while to do because I was still getting my head around the layout etc. so I wouldn't have thought you could get it done before the end of the week. Do you have a template for the report?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

He was at a nursery but left there just before he turned 2 so no they didn't do the check. This will be first one to complete so no at the minute haven't got a template. Is there one in free resources? I don't have any concerns about the lo to be honest x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just googled 'two year check template' and loads come up. You can choose one which best suits your way of working, or use them as a guide to design your own. x

june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the one my childcare support worker left me, hope it helps

2 year check Leeds format Aug 2012.doc I think ive done it right lol

Simona Guest

The Progress check is carried out at different age in each LA...by the Health team
    Usually it will take place at a Children's Centre as all parents are now encouraged to register with them...some do some refuse to do so!

In some areas the check is carried out just when the child turns 2...therefore the Progress check will have just started
    In others when a child is 2 and 1/2, in others later...so NO joined up thinking by the govt there but it will change in 2015

All you can do is carry on with the check and if anything arises that causes you concern discuss it with the parents and they can request another check...

that happened to a child in my setting whose check was carried out the week he turned 2...I contacted the HV and she said should anything come up get the parents to come back

My EY told us that all Children's Centres must achieve over 90% of parents registration for CC to be graded Outstanding
    Have you heard anything similar in yours?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Remember that we cannot contact the Health Visitor unless we have written permission from parents.

our job is to write the progress check at some point between 2 and 3 - ideally to link with the HV check - and to give it to parents.

It is up to parents what they do with it - which is - in my opinion - one of the big flaws of the system - because we could flag up issues that they totally ignore - and we don't have any right to say anything without their permission - but nobody asked me for my opinion!

Hth

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Remember that we cannot contact the Health Visitor unless we have written permission from parents.

our job is to write the progress check at some point between 2 and 3 - ideally to link with the HV check - and to give it to parents.

It is up to parents what they do with it - which is - in my opinion - one of the big flaws of the system - because we could flag up issues that they totally ignore - and we don't have any right to say anything without their permission - but nobody asked me for my opinion!

Hth
    Yes absolutely so and I have not a problem with that.

I contacted the HV centre on a 'general enquiry' with parental permission having failed to get clear indication on the Progress Check by the EY team
    The parent herself was so confused by what she should expect or do and was very happy for me to get direct information

The HV I spoke to was extremely helpful and now I know what happens and what I should expect too whan doing the Check...it has made my life easy and as an independent cm I feel in control and not having to rely on the EY to get info to me...which can be sporadic.

So yes permission is vital and also very effective

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a mindee turn 2 after just a few weeks of being with me. I put off his 2 year check for a month, however, at that point, I discussed things with Mum and my Development Worker (we were investigating possible autism at the time) and we all decided to leave it a further 3 months to monitor his development. I was inspected during this 3 month period and the inspector queried why I hadn't done the 2 year check (she said that I should have done so). I pointed out that the timing of the two year check should be discussed and agreed with the parent, which I had done and it could be completed at any time between 2 and 3! The inspector backed down. She said that she could see that I had a lot of information from observations and would be able to produce a summary quite easily.