Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default starting point; new child

hello,
    I have a new child ( under 2). how do I do a starting point? Do I need to write down on a sheet things like: she can says about 100 words, she can make a tower with 4 cubes, she can throw a ball...... and then decide which age group to work with 8-20 or 16-22??
    I am probably wrong... thanks

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My starting points come from parents comments and my observations over a couple of weeks. It all depends on how you record their progress in their learning journey?
    Debbie

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I ask parents what the basic things their child can do, then I write it in a Ob.

"Parent has advised me that A can indicate her toileting needs by says "wee" or "poo" just after she has been. She can also feed herself with a spoon, although need encouragement sometimes..." You get the idea.

I then do my obs "Getting to know you - initial observations" I just write what I see a child do, if A comes to me and says "wee" and they have in fact done a wee, I will confirm that in my ob.

I do this until I feel I can do an overall assessment (All about me) then look at next steps.

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for those comments.

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Each of my children has the eyfs development matters in the front of their development folders. Over the firstccopule weeks with me I do short observations and highlight what I have observed in the correct section and date it. From then forwards whenever I do an obs I will csrry on highlighting and dating. That way I find it essier to notice if there are any glaring gaps or concerns that I should be noting down or observing more closely. Hope that helps, sounds like a lot of faff but once you are used to it it is quite simple :-)

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Also when I send folders home for veiwing I take the development matters out of the front of the folder x

jul 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default initial assessment

Hi, does anyone have a form that they use to do their initial assessment? I'm struggling to fond one. thanks

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lynnief123 View Post
    Hi, does anyone have a form that they use to do their initial assessment? I'm struggling to fond one. thanks
    I don't do an "initial assessment so to speak, but I get parents to fill out a form with some basic information on, I then do the getting to know you obs, and then an all about me... Then the obs and all about me cycle starts again, depending on how many days I have the child will determine how often I do an all about me...

I have attached the forms I have done, that I use... If anyone has any advice on how to make them better, always open to suggestions

New information pack.pdf
    Dev Matters Cross Reference.doc
    All About Me.pdf

The development matters was done by someone else, I just edited to add numbers so when doing my obs, instead of writing out loads of links I can just do 5.3.2 which would be 5-Understanding 3-16-26 months 2-Understand simple sentences. For each time I observe a specific thing I put a tally down next it, then when I have observed it several times and feel confident I can then highlight it as "achieved" so to speak.