Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Apps Review

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Apps Review

Hi,
    Thinking of using an app to cover all the EYFS requirements (observation, planning, assessment, etc) and wondering if people have experience of some systems and what they liked or didn't like about them. I have heard of Orbit but can't get it to work unfortunately and found the on-line help quite limited. Heard of ********* - raving reviews - but it costs around £100. So, fishing for information really. What do you use and why. Help in deciding which one to go for very welcome! Thanks.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome.

Im sure someone with experience with these apps will be along to answer
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 21-06-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Hello and welcome.

Im sure someone with experience with these apps will be along to answer
    That would be great, yes. Why was the brand I quoted blanked out? Is it only free apps that can be mentioned? It narrows the choice down somewhat but great if there are some good free ones.

D.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Orbit on my iPhone and love it, it's really easy to use and free. Shame it's not working for you - what happens?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 simple. Love it , saved so much time,

6. Likes Bumble Beez, cloud9 liked this post
    sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Daisychain

I am just looking at 2 simple. I use Orbit at the moment and find that fine. Do you pay the single childminder fee and if so is everything included? Can parents add their own comments to it as well?

Thanks

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Alex, I can't get Orbit set up. I've set myself up but can't create children. I know I should be able to see the option but can't and find it quite frustrating which is why I'm tempted to give up on it. The on-line help seems quite limited.

I've looked into apps in general and and there seems to be the following apps/software:

******, 2 Simple, Noble Minder, EYFS made simple.

And among free ones: Orbit and the one from Childcare.co.uk (latter sadly doesn't do windows mobile though).

It would be nice to know people's experience of them.

D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
    Alex, I can't get Orbit set up. I've set myself up but can't create children. I know I should be able to see the option but can't and find it quite frustrating which is why I'm tempted to give up on it. The on-line help seems quite limited.

I've looked into apps in general and and there seems to be the following apps/software:

******, 2 Simple, Noble Minder, EYFS made simple.

And among free ones: Orbit and the one from Childcare.co.uk (latter sadly doesn't do windows mobile though).

It would be nice to know people's experience of them.

D.

Hi, just read your post. I use orbit. To add a child you click on administration then on children, you should then have a green box with add child in it. If this doesn't work, might be worth uninstalling app the reinstalling it as definitely should be there :-(

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *daisychain* View Post
    I use 2 simple. Love it , saved so much time,
    I'm with daisychain...I use 2simple and found it to be fab! I phoned them up and registered for the childminder package (£29 I think...) and got started straight away.
    Never looked back...
    I have looked at orbit and it does appeal as my 2simple membership runs out end of July and would love to be able to find a free app that works as well as this one.

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for this thread I have found it really interesting. I have been using orbit for about a week but made a mistake on entering some information - didn't complete the development matters correctly, this threw up all kinds of problems - couldn't access the learning journal, then tried to delete the incorrect entries - couldn't access them, tried to delete the children but somehow by using my phone allocated observations to them and then tried to ammend my profile - has all gone badly wrong and I've lost the information i was trialling with. I also contacted them for help and received not so much as a reply.
    However i like how it works so have set up a new account and will try again. i will also make sure i print off regularly to avoid any loss of information. I really like how it works and how easy it is so I'm really hoping it will be better this time if i don't manage to corrupt my account again!

I was trialling the one we're not allowed to mention (for whatever reason) and it won't do what i want it to do as far as obs and easy attaching to photos etc and I've asked them for information on this and twice they've replied with inadaquate answers that has just annoyed me so I probably won't be spending all that money on them!

Hasnt Noble minder gone bust or ha some problems with members paying and not being able to access? Surprised to see it mentioned here - be wary before you sign up

I've also thanks to this thread contacted 2simple for a free trial so will look into how that works as I think the price is very reasonable - if it works as it should!

I did ask a local childminding group/support group for advice and they didn't seem to know what was available - they said naturally they only tend to hear bad things because people only contact them when things go wrong. They also said I should wait until September because of all the changes coming in and I'm thinking I didn't realise they were changing the EYFS again? Have I missed something? I know More Great Childcare has all kinds of proposals but not the new EYFS that only came in last sept?
    Besides surely any changes that come in it will be in the interests of the company to keep up to date?
    Last edited by Bluebell; 24-07-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Bluelion...when the EYFS changed in 2012, 2simple had implemented the new framework onto their system a good few months before and we had the option of starting to use it in preparation for the change over. So if and when it changes again, I have no doubt it will be as easy to access the new framework as last time...they will always keep it up to date!
    I personally have had only good things to say about 2simple and would recommend it in a flash...
    But it is personal preference

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

13. Likes cloud9 liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

cant seem to find any of them in the app store. are they only on ipad/phone. Any that work on android , either on my tablet or nokia phone would do!

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Nokia Lumia 925 windows phone and can't find any of the eyfs apps mind you I only got the phone yesterday so am a bit of a virgin

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 2simple on android and ipad so it's in both...2simple early years is how it's shown on my screen.
    Hope that helps

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I have 2simple and got a free trial. I would love to start using it but my problem is what do you do about the learning journeys? At thr moment I have a planning folder where I plan week by week. I then put all obs and activities in the lj. I would be printing off every page of 2simple?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Npg1 View Post
    Hi. I have 2simple and got a free trial. I would love to start using it but my problem is what do you do about the learning journeys? At thr moment I have a planning folder where I plan week by week. I then put all obs and activities in the lj. I would be printing off every page of 2simple?
    I had that worry too...although when you email the obs and print from 2 simple you can choose individual ones or group ones to do.
    Everyone is different and I have one family who like to have the PDF emailed directly to them...works for me and them!
    I do my planning on an app too so most of my paperwork is now stored on my pc

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x