Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default learning journeys for reception aged children

hi

just trying to catch up on learning journeys I have a little boy who has just turned 5 and is in reception. I only have him in the holidays and an hour after school twice a month. He started in feb so only had him about 6 days in total.

I have a learning journey but not really sure what to put in it. I have photos and pictures hes drawn ect. however not really sure what to do about obs I have a couple I could do but in regards to linking to DM im not sure I should bother I know e shouldn't use DM as a tick list but im feeling like if I put it in then im creating a whole lot of work for myself that isn't needed.

any advise on what others do at this age would be really helpful.

thank x

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be a bad childminder, but no, I would not even do one! He spends more time at school than with you. I have a 4 year old who goes to nursery school 5 mornings and at mine 2 afternoons. For that reason do no LJ. Had an inspection last month, everything was OK regarding that!

3. Likes sineadquinn, rickysmiths liked this post
    Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with Bindy- i dont do a learning journal either as such just a scrap book with photos and some of their work - more for the children to look at and enjoy than anything else

5. Likes sineadquinn liked this post
    dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

No that's great just needed to hear it from someone else. I have his little brother full time so as I'm filing in a learning journey for him thought it would be nice if he had one aswell otherwise I would consider not bothering as at all.

Thanks for your help

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope

I don't do them once they start school. I already have six to do without extra work. Ofsted were fine about it and I'm pretty sure it's not needed in the new eyfs.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You would still be required to work with the other setting though wouldn't you to discuss any issues?

dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Think it's a bit of a grey area. I don't pick up or collect him from school as I only have him in holidays I pay an interest in what he's learning about in school but apart from that I have no contact with the school. My DW said I should try when I explained that I don't drop off or collect she just said ok!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the EYFS is quite clear:

Wrap around and holiday providers
    1.3 Wrap around and holiday providers should be guided by, but do not necessarily need to meet, all the learning and development requirements. Practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners and providers as appropriate) the support they intend to offer, seeking to complement learning in settings in which children spend more time.

I take this to mean any setting should be consulted regardless of how many days and how long you have them.

dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant a grey area for me as I've had the child such a small amount of time the next time I have him is August 20th due to holidays on both sides. Don't really see what I can be working with the school on when there's such huge gaps between my care. I understand what the eyfs says. I feel I'm happy with that at the moment unless I get told otherwise on my inspection

13. Likes Rick liked this post
    mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a book with photos and art work etc just to show mum what we do really

15. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I do links for my regular reception child but my occasional I don't, she still has the same looking lj book but no links I will have had her four days in the whole school year. I took some info from the school web site, the teachers put the topic planning on their for the year but other than that I've not contacted the school.

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sineadquinn View Post
    Think it's a bit of a grey area. I don't pick up or collect him from school as I only have him in holidays I pay an interest in what he's learning about in school but apart from that I have no contact with the school. My DW said I should try when I explained that I don't drop off or collect she just said ok!
    Does the school send parents a half termly or termly sheet( or has the school one on their website) of topics/ areas covered? I use this and extend my reception mindees interest/ learning. It's also what i do for my own children. But you could add that sheet into their LJ and annotate it with anything you're doing to extend/ compliment their learning.

18. Likes sineadquinn liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Each school age child has a scrapbook here and they stick artwork, pictures, photos in it...if they are covering for example Under the Sea as a school topic then I might do some sort of under the sea activity/colouring sheets etc so they are interested and keen to participate .....I do find that my after schoolies are a good bunch of friends who would rather play together en masse or watch tv and to encourage them to do anything else is a challenge....(not complaining about them getting on well)....

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My after school kids are tired and just want to play together or relax, that is fine by me, they do enough in school, leave them be that's what I say!

21. Likes Wheelybug liked this post
    Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    I think the EYFS is quite clear:

Wrap around and holiday providers
    1.3 Wrap around and holiday providers should be guided by, but do not necessarily need to meet, all the learning and development requirements. Practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners and providers as appropriate) the support they intend to offer, seeking to complement learning in settings in which children spend more time.

I take this to mean any setting should be consulted regardless of how many days and how long you have them.
    Yes, true but it does not mean you need to do a LJ. I have a little girl, like I say who is at mine only 2 afternoon a week , I speak lots with nursery the days I pick up and do as requested by them, fill in a little book.