Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How often to make observations?

I have been childminding for just over a year, but previously worked as a teaching assistant so I have a good knowledge/understanding of the EYFS and how it works.
    I have always observed pretty much as I did in school - whenever I see something 'extra' and just general things too. I have read that some people observe once a month for each area - is that enough? I am doing at least one observation on each child every day! Am I just going completely OTT and making lots of work for myself?

2. Likes thinktink liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One a day is probably a bit too much. Maybe an average of one every two or three days. Sometimes I might do two a day, other times not for a few. By doing one a day you risk giving yourself too many next steps that you can't fulfil.

4. Likes thinktink liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    One a day is probably a bit too much. Maybe an average of one every two or three days. Sometimes I might do two a day, other times not for a few. By doing one a day you risk giving yourself too many next steps that you can't fulfil.
    Yes, agree it sounds a bit much to do one a day or more for every child. I do about 1 a week per child for a 3-day-a-week child, but sometimes there are development spurts and loads to observe and likewise sometimes not much is new so not many obs.

But remember you do not need a 'next step' for every observation, only where it is relevant and useful.

6. Likes thinktink liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I normally put a next step for every observation even if it's 'continue to.......' with nothing specific to do.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I do loads in the early days until I really know the child and then it slows to about four a month, because I know them so well and how to help them o to the next stage of learning, one a day per child would be too much for me to maintain since I have 12 children each week (all part time)

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for you replies - At least im doing too much rather than not enough!