Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Napping

Registered Childminder since
    Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Napping

Interesting article on the BBC site about napping outside in Sweeden!
    BBC News - The babies who nap in sub-zero temperatures
    Mum of three, 6,5 and 4. Now minding a few more too!

2. Likes AgentTink liked this post
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if I would want to leave a lo outside in the freezing cold, I know they would be all wrapped up but I've slept in a caravan with
    no heat in the winter and my face especially my nose was freezing, not nice,
    Cath

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

my mindees sleep outside, its no different than taking them for a walk and they sleep. They are well wrapped up and checked reguarly because I am outside playing with the older ones, if I need to go indoors I can see them the whole time. They always seem to sleep better outside, I bring them into the out house when it's foggy.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I've left mine out if they've gone to sleep while we're out. I get worried that I'l wake them if I try to undress them, but they'll overheat if I don't, so it's always been the simplest solution, plus I think it's healthy, the parents know because I've taken photos.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting read. Couldn't image leaving a baby outside a coffee shop whilst I went in for a drink & gossip. I would be terrified in case somebody stole my baby.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its an interesting idea but I would worry someone would take the baby or a bird would land on it or something else bizarre would happen

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I always put my own kids outside to nap. Only weather they didnt go out in was rain cos they all hated the noise of the rain on the raincover.
    If we've been out for a walk and mindees are sleeping in the buggy they are left outside.

I have routinely put mindees out to sleep outside.
    Well wrapped up including hats and mittens, plenty warm clothes and blankets.

I do think its good for babies and toddlers. Not sure about -30 though!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I find that my my little ones sleep longer outside too

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is expecting first baby (10 days late now) but is worried that the Nursery in her Victorian house is too cold - currently 12 degrees but I pointed out to her that when I was a baby my parents lived in a cottage with only an open fire downstairs, no heating upstairs and even when we moved to a new modern house it still didn't have central heating. People used to keep warm by wearing the correct clothing and by using blankets and feather quilts - so similar to this article as long as the children are wrapped up warmly they will sleep longer.

My mum used to put me in the garden in my Silver Cross pram every day under I was 2 years old for my nap and I was 6 weeks prem!

Post Thanks / Like

When I had my dd she had colic and screamed all day, my health visitor told me to wrap her up snugly and pop her in my silver cross pram outside my lounge window! Did put her out in the back garden not outside the lounge window as we were on a main road!!! She used to sleep well outside, when had ds did the same for him and he always slept well. My mindies mostly sleep in the back garden usually as they have fallen asleep whilst we were out or I'm putting them down just before we go out to school. They sleep well outside no matter what the weather, in fact better than inside with the dog barking, doorbell going, phone ringing!!

Aug 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 mindies that would only sleep in a buggy but I had a big urban detour that wouldn't fit through my front door so I would put the children in and wheel it down the road and round to my back garden (terrace house so no side gate sadly) and they would sleep in my secure garden. When Ofsted came she looked askance at me as I snuggled them in to the buggy and said 'but what do you do if it rains' when I said they always slept outside. 'Put the raincover on' I said in an are you stupid tone of voice. I went on to talk about meeting individual children's needs, sleeping longer in the outdoors etc and she must have been convinced cos I got OS lol. My own often napped outside as did I before them

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree about not leaving one outside a coffee shop, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has them napping outside. They definitely sleep well outside. I used to have a covered area so they could be outside even in the rain, but sadly since moving haven't got one.
    Mum of three, 6,5 and 4. Now minding a few more too!