Sharing infomation
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sharing infomation

I'm hoping for some advice! I've just started with a little boy who is at pre-school all day and then I have him for two hours at the end of the day. I asked the Pre-school about putting a little bit of information in a diary I do for the parents so we are all sharing information. The school said no.

I just wondered what other people do as when I had my Ofsted visit they were very clear that this is a requirement on the EYFS.

Thanks!

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aschirn View Post
    I'm hoping for some advice! I've just started with a little boy who is at pre-school all day and then I have him for two hours at the end of the day. I asked the Pre-school about putting a little bit of information in a diary I do for the parents so we are all sharing information. The school said no.

I just wondered what other people do as when I had my Ofsted visit they were very clear that this is a requirement on the EYFS.

Thanks!

Unfortunatly it seems quite a common thing, unless you know someone at the nursery or preschools its very hard to get information. For Ofsted I would document that in the book and date it, maybe then try again in another month or so. Did you ask the key person of the child or the manager.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When my local nursery were using daily diaries they were happy for me to write in their book. Ask someone else at the nursery. The manager perhaps. You could also get Mum to ask on your behalf.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aschirn View Post

Thanks!
    I also went to my LOs pre school for the first time today. Luckily his key worker seemed open to communication, I just have to make it happen now! I think we will just use LOs daily diary, it seems never to leave his bag (probably because it never gets read!).

I came up with a simple form for them to use, otherwise they just won't do it. I think it's difficult for the teacher if they get CMs for half the class asking them to do more work, hopefully I've found a compliant one!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've spoken to my lo's keyworker directly and she's been great - we both write in the diary and we both write in each others lj's. I did have to make the first move though and found that if I pushed it she responded so maybe if you were very direct you might get something! Good luck!

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I put my request in writing and quoted the relevant paragraph of EYFS. Think it focused their minds! It may help to ask for weekly rather than daily feedback/planning?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We do everything we can to get info out of other settings...if they don't talk to us we look at notice boards, ask the child etc to gather as much as we can so we can support the child

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Try again. This time put it in writing and quote the EYFS requirement. State that you would like a written reply and that the reply (or lack of same) will be noted and made available to Ofsted as evidence of your efforts to achieve the best possible outcome for the child.

I did exactly this after drawing a blank from our local school. They'd ignored my verbal request, but my follow-up letter got a reply the next day.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I should add that it was Sarah's advice that got me the info I needed!!

10. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! Only just seen all your replies. I did speak to his key worker and to be honest she made me feel a bit stupid for asking! I have a copy of their timetable and the weekly themes they are doing and then I talk to LO and basically fill in the book based on what he's told me.

I have thought about writing to them quoting the EYFS so will have a go with that - I did explain this when I spoke to them but they just said hey have parents evenings and give progress reports to the parents - not really what I was asking!

I just feel a bit uncomfortable about it now as they were quite patronising and obviously don't realise that this is as much their responsibility as mine!

I'll see if a simple form might work!

Thanks everyone! X