Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Defining learning areas

Hi all at 23 weeks pregnant im finding that getting too and from toddler groups is becoming a bit of a pain and also the children are all so clingy to me that they might as well be home!

So I have decided to do more days at home and have a more structured setting and routine.

Any ideas? Currently we have a very much child lead environment which mainly involves making a mess. I'd like to include some more structure like singing time, Reading time etc

What do you all do and do ypu define different areas like home corner etc?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How old are the children?

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2x 1 year olds, 2x 2 year olds and 3x year olds.

All part timers but they come for full days.

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump?

Just wondering if anyone coukd offer advice

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we do breakfast then school run ,followed by snack time (LO's here from half 7 so breakfast early) then mr tumble then singing time which follows on to story time..this then leads to children independantly choosing books to look at .After this they have something adult led at the table ,playdough ,drawing ,magnetic shapes etc while i make their dinner.then its straight to sleep,after sleep its out for a walk ,park,shopping or if weather terrible then tents tunnels rockers ,balls balloons etc to be active indoors,then afternoon snack,school run ,free play with the older kids ,tea then home hope this helps.
    If its a play group day then we go out after mr tumble and get back for dinner time,

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

On home mornings we do free play until snack, then I try to lead something...not always a success, before more free play until lunch, story, teeth, nap, snack, school run, craft with after schoolies, tea, home! Even home mornings usually include a trip out to a park or the shop, if before snack then snack comes too! Hth

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and no, no special areas...it's my home, it's all special!!!!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I go to playgroups in the morning but do plan to have at least one/two mornings a week at home, I do quite like mornings at home. I find doing things in chunks is effective for me, its never set in stone and I always follow the children, so if they are having fun playing with the dolls lets say, I will just let them carry on.

I tend to maybe do singing and dancing up until snack time (10 ish), after snack I sometimes plan to do an activity, so maybe messy play, painting, playdough etc, then free play up until lunch time. Whilst I prepare lunch, depending on the mood, I usually put the TV on for them as I find they always get abit fretful when I am in the kitchen, so they usually sit quietly and watch TV for 15 minutes or so (gets switched off once lunch is on the table). After lunch, we usually have abit of free play, then quiet time where we look at books and they have a nap, then its usually the school run.

I store all my toys in a conservatory. As it is way too cold to play in there during winter, I usually set the toys out in the main house. I put a few toys out on the rug including baby ones if I have the baby. I have a couple of small tables, so I might put out jigsaws or set up cups and saucers, toaster, kettle etc or colouring paper and crayons etc. Dolls are a big hit at the moment, so I will put the dolls out in a corner with pram, cot etc. I also have a little book corner where I have a rug and cushions with a little basket of books that I rotate.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One lovely thing I have started doing and ur cane about quite naturally is
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Take two ...is get out a little bag with cards in with pictures relating to nursery rhymes (bought off eBay) we all choose one and sing it using an instrument selected from my music basket. We carry on till the bag is empty. Quite structured but natural too. My music basket also has in it the ducky glove for five little ducks song, a teddy beat for the teddy song, a little monkey for five little monkeys and finally ten fat sausages (woollen) and so on.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

11. Likes lynncjt liked this post
    Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks some nice ideas.

I was thinking i might set up a doll corner, reading corner etc

only while i work though as once its home time everything gets put back in the playroom.

Jun 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Congratulation on your pregnancy!

Our daughter has just turned 3. We moved house before I was pregnant and before I started childminding so that we could have a playroom. Being a Victorian house, we were able to get a large room downstairs as a playroom and most of the toys are in there!

I have defined areas in the playroom which Ofsted really liked. We have a home corner, with a kitchen including a cooker, with lots of cooking sets, play food and pans etc. Our daughter loves a blender that she got for Christmas! Coming off from this area I have placed loads of dolls (been to charity shops), all different designs colour etc and teddies. They all play waking up the toys, feeding them, putting them to sleep in a cot and looking after them when they are ill. Next to this is a large rail to hang loads of outfits and dressing up clothes. They all love to pretend to be doctors and nurses with the medical kit. Also have fireman, policeman with helmets etc.

I then have a book corner, the first thing I wanted with a cabinet with three shelves! There are loads of books which they can chose from. I read a story before nap time and when they want one. We go to the library once a month and put the books here as well. Next to the books I have a beanbag where they can relax to read and also a futon. One of the children has a nap here. There is a large poster of the alphabet on the wall in the book corner and we play games looking for letters here as well as with the alphabet tiles on the floor.

Around the walls I have put small open cabinets where the kids can take off any toys. One section is full of cars with a garage and road rug, one for dinosaurs and two for Happyland! Went a bit mad and bought loads of different 'shops' and homes! I also have a cupboard on the other wall with puzzles, games and educational toys (appropriate to age of kids).

There are two music boxes in the living room next door. We love to play 'Tumble Tots' and music DVD's and play with the instruments, bean bags and balloons. The living room is the only room downstairs with carpet so it is lovely and cosy here to listen to music and play instruments.

All of our messy play is done in the kitchen as it has a tiled floor and can be cleaned easily. We paint most days as my daughter loves it. We also do play-doh, crafts and cooking here as well as meals. In the summer it is nice to go out in the garden though to eat if the weather is nice! Next to the kitchen is the breakfast room, where I have put cupboards for all the paints, paper and craft items. This is all child height so they can help themselves. They all know though not to take any messy things into the rest of the house! I also have a box full of 'odd' things such as toilet roll holders, silver foil, chocolate wrappers, egg cartons etc which we make things with.

I tend to do my planning around the seasons and events, such as Christmas, Easter etc also with their interests.

Every morning we go to a toddler group. These range from singing, dancing, 'Talking Tots' and outdoor play! I tend to chat to mums before the next term to plan what we do next and try to make if follow on. One term we went to 'Jolly Dinosaurs' a music class and followed this with 'Diddi dance'. Am going to be starting 'ball sports' next term as the boy I have is now obsessed with football!

So our day runs like this - breakfast, calendar (we mark the day off on the fridge one!) teeth, wash, toddler group, free play, lunch, wash, activity (painting etc, ask the kids and depending on weather maybe park or garden), tea, pick up.

We do watch the TV but very rarely as we are always out or playing!

Hoping that helps Xxx