Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Struggling with 4 under 5's

I currently mind 4 under 5's two days a week depending on mums shifts.

I have siblings which is why I have a variation

I have a 9 month old girl, 13 month old boy both are crawling. A 25 month old boy who is walking but won't go very far without getting tired and crying to be carried and a 4 year old girl.

I am finding it hard to get out and about and am concious that Ofsed are big on playing outdoors. My own son's school is 3 miles away so we have no option but use the car for the school run each day. I live in a mid terraced house with a nice big garden but it is seperate from the house and driveway. I don't really want to take them all into the garden in the rain, as the babies would be stuck in the pram, they are no way crawling around in wet grass and mud. Yes we can to the park, but the 25 month old won't do anything I also struggle on these days with activities and find I am doing more and more free play.

I would welcome your ideas please, sorry if it sounds like a moan.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

On days like that I bring the outdoors inside. Big plastic cover for the floor, leaves and pine cones and othee interesting stuff to hold and feel. Maybe some sand or gloop. Blankets to make dens, move the furniture around.
    No one enjoys the rain unless they feel warm and dry. ;-)
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

3. Likes Kirstylob, geordiebunny liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This was me in March - Summer hon. I had 4 each day though it was only friday I had the 3 under 2's with a 3 year old, rest of time it was 2 babies and 2 x 3 years which was easier. It is hard. I did stay at home more.

Get them out in the garden. purchase some all in one suits and bootees for the littlie then just let them out there to get on with it. sand and water and a small climbing frame, balls.

I didn't even go to the park much as didn't feel I could supervise adequately unless I went with another minder to help. It does get easier as they get bigger
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

5. Likes jane5 liked this post
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies love the idea of bringing the outdoors in but i mind from my living room and don;t think hubby would be to impressed, also the babies would just transport everything all over the room and they are till putting everything into their mouths

We do alot of den building but again the babies just pull the dens down, it's so hard

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always find it hard with very small ones and outdoors especially when it is wet and they are only crawling. There have been days we have only managed a walk around the block with the pushchair just to get out for 5 mins to let off steam.

I have used sand and water indoors quite well although I do have a hard floor so less mess. I also buy cheap shower curtains to protect the floor from the mess as they are big and easy to clean and cost hardly anything.

I invested in a big awning for the patio which helps provide a dry area to play on.

Would the 25 month old not run round after a football in the park, or some ribbon streamers to run round with, a kite? - lots of mine don't like using the play equipment but enjoy a bit of free running (wears them out good as well )

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2kidsunder5 View Post

We do alot of den building but again the babies just pull the dens down, it's so hard
    Have you got any of the pop up tents/crawling tunnels you could use inside? They're a bit harder to pull down (although not impossible for the determined toddler as I have found out before!)

9. Likes 2kidsunder5 liked this post
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How about crafty things? You can tape paper to the high chair tray for little ones. Or music. Put a kids cd on and sing along and give them all something to make noise with (ear plugs for you) lol. Play doh can be fun too. It's non toxic if they do eat some!

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I am not to bad with doing stuff indoors, yes I do have tents and tunnels (must find them lol). We always have a music session and dance and have done the messy play wth gloop, spaghetti etc, but even that is difficult as I only have one high chair It is so much easier when I just have one baby and the other two

I am still concious of the fact they are not getting outside. We are in the process of having our own house build. I will have a play room then with patio doors and an awning, can't wait ! At the moment I have steps going down to the drive and then steps going down to the garden, it's such a pain.

Yes Eddie he probably would enjoy the streamers so would my 4 year old

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jillplum View Post
    You can tape paper to the high chair tray for little ones!
    The 13 month old managed to break his brothers DS last night, he pulled the top off it!!! Think the paper would last seconds before he ripped it off

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are being to hard on yourself and taking ofsted guidance a bit too literal.
    Yes it's great to get outside every day but you have to work out what the best interests of all the children is, this will change as they get older and more capable, so if it only a very short walk to the shop to buy cooking ingredients or a sit in the push hair while older ones fly kites for half an hour at is what it has to be.

14. Likes Kirstylob liked this post
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2kidsunder5 View Post
    The 13 month old managed to break his brothers DS last night, he pulled the top off it!!! Think the paper would last seconds before he ripped it off
    yes he probably would. Mine used to draw or paint for like 10 seconds then I would have to get the paper quick or it was in bits!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 11 month, 14 months, 27 months and 3 year old 3 times a week (and do school run for 2 just 4 year olds on the same days but that's another headache) and we do not go to the park, it is just to much to be watching 4 lo's running around in an open area.

We do use my garden a lot and I put them all in puddle suits or water proof pants and they crawl around and get muddy but because they are in my clothes I don't mind.

Even 10 mins outside breaks the day up. You say you only have 1 highchair... I bought the cheap stackable ones from Ikea, £12 and about £3 for the trays, and they make my life so much easier and don't take up much room because they stack.

I find that if I have the right equipment for them all it is so much easier to look after them.
    Jane xxx