Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Medicines under new EYFS

'New improved' EYFS, Safeguarding and Welfare requirements, 3.43 includes this, "Medicines must not usually be administered unless they have been prescribed for a child by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist..."

As I read it, that's pretty unequivocal, and rules out the use of any 'over-the-counter' medicines. So I'm taking it that we have to refuse when a mum asks us to administer a couple of doses of infant paracetamol (Calpol, etc.) Either that, or be in the ridiculous situation of telling mums they have to get a doctor's appointment so they can then get a bottle of the very same thing on prescription.

Based on what it actually says, what do you all think we're meant to be doing?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

But then 3.44 says medicine both prescription and non prescription must only be administered to a child where written permission for that particular medicine has been obtained....

Think the word usually in 3.43 is the bit that means we can give non prescribed.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to be argumentative, but it says "not usually". I'm sure it can't mean that in the sense of "not usually, but only when they're poorly." It suggests to me one of their "exceptional circumstances only" clauses, but what's 'exceptional'?

With any other interpretation, I just can't understand why they put it in.

3.44 presumably has to be there to cover those exceptions. It's a pretty normal consent.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    'New improved' EYFS, Safeguarding and Welfare requirements, 3.43 includes this, "Medicines must not usually be administered unless they have been prescribed for a child by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist..."

As I read it, that's pretty unequivocal, and rules out the use of any 'over-the-counter' medicines. So I'm taking it that we have to refuse when a mum asks us to administer a couple of doses of infant paracetamol (Calpol, etc.) Either that, or be in the ridiculous situation of telling mums they have to get a doctor's appointment so they can then get a bottle of the very same thing on prescription.

Based on what it actually says, what do you all think we're meant to be doing?
    i thought it said that in the old EYFS . pharmacist is over the counter medication? as long as its written on the bottle the childs name dose

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I made a couple of 'phone calls and I think I've got an answer, and my first reading was wrong.

NCMA told me they were unsure what it meant, and couldn't advise without further consultation.

So I called Ofsted, who said they'd had a lot of queries about this. Apparently, this is another paragraph that they're interpreting as "carry on doing what you already do." They seem to be experiencing a lot of problems with 'new improved EYFS' where the authors have put in something that's meant to confirm and clarify the current situation, but has ended up having the opposite effect: confusion. They might've been better to leave well alone.

Ms Ofsted also said she thought it was badly worded, as she thought pharmacists don't actually prescribe any medicines, they only dispense what other medical professionals have prescribed.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have written a new policy stating that whilst I will give calpol, etc should a child fall ill while here or if parent has said they have teething probs or the like, that I can't give regular does throughout the day as the child needing this should really be at home anyway. Meaning if suddenly necessary it will be ok but not just to keep the child ticking over through the day to save the parent taking time off work. I have also discuss it with parents and they are ok with it. To be honest, it's what I do now anyway

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    I have written a new policy stating that whilst I will give calpol, etc should a child fall ill while here or if parent has said they have teething probs or the like, that I can't give regular does throughout the day as the child needing this should really be at home anyway. Meaning if suddenly necessary it will be ok but not just to keep the child ticking over through the day to save the parent taking time off work. I have also discuss it with parents and they are ok with it. To be honest, it's what I do now anyway
    Awesome - that puts it so well, cheers.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    But my understanding is you can't give ANY medication without prior written permission and Ofsted do not like a general coverall permission for this it must be specific to the meds on the day with the name of the meds, the dose and doses per day, the child's name and dob all recorded along with the time of the last dose given and the parent has to sign this at the start of the child's day. They then sign again at the end of the day and get a copy of the whole form.

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always had a general consent to give Calpol as "emergency" pain relief or to bring a temperature down if child becomes ill and am waiting on a parent collection. In the past Ofsted have been fine with this.

I will not give paracetamol or ibuprofen if it is sent with a parent on a specific day but if a child suddenly develops a temperature of say 104 then I will administer a dose of Calpol. Surely it's better to do this with parental consent than risk a convulsion?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nic t View Post
    I have always had a general consent to give Calpol as "emergency" pain relief or to bring a temperature down if child becomes ill and am waiting on a parent collection. In the past Ofsted have been fine with this.

I will not give paracetamol or ibuprofen if it is sent with a parent on a specific day but if a child suddenly develops a temperature of say 104 then I will administer a dose of Calpol. Surely it's better to do this with parental consent than risk a convulsion?
    Why won't you give the meds if the parents have brought it in a requested it?

I have never just had meds in the house to administer just in case. In 18 years I have never felt I should have had either. There are other ways of getting a temp down quickly without using meds. If it was so serious it wouldn't wait for parents to arrive I would have dialed 999 before the parents to be honest. Touch wood I haven't ever had to do that yet.

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Why won't you give the meds if the parents have brought it in a requested it?

I have never just had meds in the house to administer just in case. In 18 years I have never felt I should have had either. There are other ways of getting a temp down quickly without using meds. If it was so serious it wouldn't wait for parents to arrive I would have dialed 999 before the parents to be honest. Touch wood I haven't ever had to do that yet.
    What I mean is if a parent arrives with mindee one morning with a bottle of calpol and says LO has had a temperature this morning and will need a dose later then I wouldn't agree to give it. If a child has required calpol to bring a temperature down on the same day they are coming to me then they aren't well enough to attend. However, I will give a dose if a child suddenly becomes ill during the course of the day.

Each to their own own I suppose. I have had children have earache come on and been in considerable pain and have administered Calpol (with permission) to ease the pain until parents arrive. As a parent I would prefer my child be given a dose of calpol to reduce pain until I could collect. We all work differently though so no right or wrong.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What I mean is if a parent arrives with mindee one morning with a bottle of calpol and says LO has had a temperature this morning and will need a dose later then I wouldn't agree to give it. If a child has required calpol to bring a temperature down on the same day they are coming to me then they aren't well enough to attend. However, I will give a dose if a child suddenly becomes ill during the course of the day.

Each to their own own I suppose. I have had children have earache come on and been in considerable pain and have administered Calpol (with permission) to ease the pain until parents arrive. As a parent I would prefer my child be given a dose of calpol to reduce pain until I could collect. We all work differently though so no right or wrong.
    I thought you might mean that. `I guess I have been lucky with my children over the years.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Ms Ofsted also said she thought it was badly worded, as she thought pharmacists don't actually prescribe any medicines, they only dispense what other medical professionals have prescribed.
    Whilst pharmacists cannot actually prescribe meds, they are a fantastic and totally underused source of information. They are trained and qualified and there to be used when we, as parents or ill people ourselves, are in doubt of the best option. When something is uncomfortable but not worth the hassle of going to a doctors surgery go talk to your local pharmacist, they will give good advice and procedures and over the counter (which is entirely different to prescribed and off the shelf meds) medications and treatments. They are professionals who give good professional advice. So if something is recommended by a pharmacist it can be considered good medical advice, this is why the original writer will have included pharmacists in the list.
    Personally I have only been to the docs twice in my adult life (for tonsillitis) and I am 40, any other time I feel a little rough I go to see my pharmacist. Same with my children. They are so much more approachable, kinder, friendlier, with no receptionist to make it passed.

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had at give calpol during an inspection.child had a cold .i Had dad fill in book to say what time required ,sign etc that morning .Asked ms OFSTED what i should do if calpol became necessary during the day eg child comes from nursery with snotty nose and slight temp(where i would take a lemsip if it was me ) knowing that calpol would ease the cold sympoms for a few hours so child could carry on playing,so not " ill "....i said obviously in these surcumstances i wouldnt have a signiture in my book from that morning ..ms OFSTED said that i should ring parent to check they had no objections or hadnt had calpol within 4 hours then get them to send a text or email to confirm so this was in writing..didnt expect common sence from an inspector but that one was ok

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I was told we were allowed to do during my 'training' last year-not to give Calpol for things like teething or colds, prescription medicines only with written permission.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    Whilst pharmacists cannot actually prescribe meds, they are a fantastic and totally underused source of information. They are trained and qualified and there to be used when we, as parents or ill people ourselves, are in doubt of the best option. When something is uncomfortable but not worth the hassle of going to a doctors surgery go talk to your local pharmacist, they will give good advice and procedures and over the counter (which is entirely different to prescribed and off the shelf meds) medications and treatments. They are professionals who give good professional advice. So if something is recommended by a pharmacist it can be considered good medical advice, this is why the original writer will have included pharmacists in the list.
    Personally I have only been to the docs twice in my adult life (for tonsillitis) and I am 40, any other time I feel a little rough I go to see my pharmacist. Same with my children. They are so much more approachable, kinder, friendlier, with no receptionist to make it passed.
    Our doctors will send you to the pharmacist when they are busy. They have also set up a scheme where the pharmacist can prescribe medicines for everyday ailments for under 16's. So for conjuntivities, ear ache, sore throat etc they will prescribe the medicine and give it to you on prescription. If they feel its more serious they will then refer you back to the doctors
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Our doctors will send you to the pharmacist when they are busy. They have also set up a scheme where the pharmacist can prescribe medicines for everyday ailments for under 16's. So for conjuntivities, ear ache, sore throat etc they will prescribe the medicine and give it to you on prescription. If they feel its more serious they will then refer you back to the doctors
    that is a good idea!

our drs will give a prescription over the phone. you do have to go & collect the bit of paper though! would be easier if it could just be emailed across to the pharmacy!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a permission to administer NP medication form which is reviewed regularly. I have parent provide their child with a bottle of medicine in the original box, including the manufacturers guidelines, it has the childs name on and is stored securely away.

Parent HAVE to tell me when they have administered any medication when dropping child off and it is documented.

IF I have to administer any medication during the day I call/text parent to advise (If I have to text I always request they contact me ASAP)

I then document WHAT was given, dose, when, why and details of the child and when parent was contacted. If parent needs to collect this is also documented and parent signs the medication form upon collection.

I have a very strict policy on giving medication. I also have a water tight confirmation sheet stating parents are aware of my policies have read them, understood them which is signed so no arguments.

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

So all in all that section is as it's always been.... so my policy can just have reviewed on 30/08/2012 on the back but not actually have to be changed

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i wont give calpol though the day i will only give it if a child has a temperature then i ring parents first if i cant get though and ive had the child over 4 hours then i will give and keep trying to get child picked up, (this has happened once ) then get parents to sign on pick up. ive had mum bring calpol and say oh can you dose every 4 hours as they have a cough and ive given this morning so next dose due in 4 hours i say no unless they have a temp as calpol does nothing for a cough and if the child is ill should really be at home untill well enough to attend.
    Dust its Fairy Dust