Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: EYFS Training

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EYFS Training

Hi,
    Is there any training I can gain on how to do the teaching part of EYFS. I feel really daunted by it. When I trained there wasn't a lot of input for this part. But now it seems a large part of what you are inspected on. I feel you need to be a teacher but without any training! Very scared I wont be able to document it correctly. Ive got a 12mth starting in 2 weeks and my first mindee. Everything I've read talks as though the child is old enough to talk and give opinions etc, not a lot for babies? Please help.
    Thank you

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello...
    It can be extremely daunting when you first take a look at the EYFS, but it can be so simple and once you understand it you'll be fine.

As far as the 'teaching' aspect...we as childminders just do what we have always done...offer activities, experiences and a welcoming setting and simply document the child's learning and development that they gain from it.

By counting LO's toes, or singing with them, or walking with them in the buggy is us 'teaching' and giving them stimulating experiences...

Have a look round the free resources section of the forum and you'll be able to find lots of things to help with planning, documenting, sharing info with parents etc...

We are all here to offer help and advice so you never need to feel that you're alone

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

3. Likes Maxine73 liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Really, it is just what you do anyway- read Development Matters, 8-20mths, CL Understanding for example- 'use actions to support your words' (like waving, and actions in nursery rhymes), 'talk to babies about what you are doing', 'Speak clearly'. These are how we 'teach', I bet you do all of those things and more automatically.

I don't like the word 'teach' myself, I think children learn perfectly well by themselves with out us trying to 'teach' them, but if that is the word Ofsted want to use then fine.

Don't worry about it, it is nothing new. It is what all CM, parents, grandparents, carers etc have done since the beginning of time!

5. Likes Maxine73 liked this post