What would you do if you were not childminding?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do if you were not childminding?

I'm seriously considering quitting. I've just had enough! Never ever thought I'd say that

Im half way through my FDEY and would like to think that I could still work with children or families in some sort of capacity and finish the FDEY too.

So, now sat here thinking ....What could I do!!!

I do have an admin background prior to CM but don't particularly want to just sit and type all day either.

Any thoughts or suggestions please

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

when I started my fd I wanted to teach - decided against it.

during my Fd I wanted to work as a family support worker - still do but not enough experience of wider workign with vulernable families.

want to REALLY work as a DO with childminders but all the jobs are gone from the LA

before CM' ing I worked in HR - not sure where that'll get me now

I'm loving my job at the moment - hard as it is with 4 under 5's but really would like my house back
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've often pondered this, especially now that my own child is a teenager. In my head I often imagine a toy free house - along with my imaginery conservatory, attached garage and loft conversion! However, I have no idea what else I could do and I am not at all unhappy with the job I have so I guess I will stick at what I think I do best!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really want to be anything except a childminder, but if I were forced into it then I would probably work in the herpetology field. I love my reptiles and can easily imagine myself surrounded by hundreds of vivs and terrarium filled with reps, amphibians, and exotics, all day, every day.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had friends who have quit their jobs now are:

Elderly care worker
    Tesco
    School Ta
    Teacher
    Support worker in a boarding school for children with asd
    Support to social worker and the families
    Children centre staff
    Nursery room leader
    Nursery manager

I'm very tempted with something like tesco, no work to go home with you, when off work doesn't pile up on your desk but think I'd get bored with same thing everyday
    Last edited by blue bear; 27-06-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

sleep

walk round without sick/snot/something unidentifiable on my clothes
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Post Thanks / Like

Those that I know who've given up childminding have

gone back to their original jobs
    become ta's
    worked in local nurseries or playgroups
    worked with disabled children
    retired.

I'm favouring the last one atm!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Pipsqueak Guest

When I grow up I wanna be :

Joan Collins!!!

no honestly I would LOVE to be a lady who lunches and gets her nails done.... chill on the sofa and watch Criminal Minds or an afternoon film or take the dogs for leisurely walks...... with a toy and clutter free house

would that work for me in reality... absolutely not... i would HATE the nothingness of it (probably work for me for about a couple of weeks though).

I would love a 9.30 to 2.30 job in my friends wonderful nursery.. but she doesn't have vacancies at the moment nor can she offer me those hours

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In my dream world beyond CMing I would like to have a little tea room and bake cakes all day or bake for someone elses tea room so I don't have to make polite talk and just bake the cakes

In reality I will carry on till I retire I guess, still love what I do really just need more mindees
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I am considering giving up in the next couple of years and working towards that. I am signing up for a counselling course as I am a DV survivor and really want to work in that field at some point

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    When I grow up I wanna be :

Joan Collins!!!

no honestly I would LOVE to be a lady who lunches and gets her nails done.... chill on the sofa and watch Criminal Minds or an afternoon film or take the dogs for leisurely walks...... with a toy and clutter free house

would that work for me in reality... absolutely not... i would HATE the nothingness of it (probably work for me for about a couple of weeks though).

I would love a 9.30 to 2.30 job in my friends wonderful nursery.. but she doesn't have vacancies at the moment nor can she offer me those hours
    It does get boring

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post
    It does get boring
    Lisa, did your parents close the shop, noticed a while ago it was shut when we drove through

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya for the last year i have been doing my level 2 hairdressing i have wanted to be a hairdresser for 30 yrs mum (hairdresser knew it hard work) said get your gcses then you can, then she said just do your a levels then you can, well you could just do your degree then you can, i got said degree worked in clinical chemistry - boring !! Had my two dd's wanted to be with them and so childminding ( worked a xmas at asda, in cafe , school shop, football matchs while i had only one mindee once a week) all of a sudden i have more mindees than you can wave a dirty stick at, 3 assistants at various times and this saturday is my last in college, my dd is off to school with best friend mindee and two gave notice 3 wks ago as moving far away, im setting up a business doing los hair in soft play centres and childminding part time ,i love being self employed so fingers crossed, if i change my mind about los i could always do perms and sets on old ones as i love them also,
    anyway thats my life history
    Helly x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

every now and again i dream about working for a supermarket but could i cope with having to be polite to people all day long? !!!

my saturday job as a teenager was working in the staff dining room for waitrose. it was great, i really enjoyed it. i got to cook proper food, and cakes etc as well as having to make sure kitchen was clean and shopping lists done for the next working day. once lunchtime was over, my boss would go home, and i would do the afternoon breaks on my own the BIG boss wanted me till trained so i could help on the shop floor, but the cook said no, as she always lost her staff to the shop floor! so i could use our little till but that was it

i'd love to do that again, or as pixiepetal said, just making cakes all day

i'd quite like to be a TA, but only with infants.

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    Lisa, did your parents close the shop, noticed a while ago it was shut when we drove through
    Yes, very long story but it closed in sept sad but for the best under the circumstances.

Am making a phonecall in a mo about something in the pipeline so fingers crossed x

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would try to take up pig farming full time and maby branch in to other animals.

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My dream would be a B&B in the country. Or own a Livery Stables. But I'm with Miffy , retirement seems to be getting closer and I'm soooooo looking forward to that. Will continue to make Celebration Cakes, maybe a few more than now!
    Carol xx

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to work in a garden centre/nursery, as in plants not children! lol

Or maybe be a florist

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I keep toying with the idea of packing in, but being self employed and at home for my dogs makes it difficult to imagine having to drive to work, take orders and be nice to people all day Think I would last 2 minutes before getting sacked!

Mind you never having to smell another dirty nappy would be heavenly

Would love to do something from home but don't know what....

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sleeping till 7.30 am and staying up LATER then 9.30 pm and fall sleep watching channel 5 movie @ 3.00 pm everyday.
    Last edited by boxtree7; 27-06-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    CWR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast