Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default couple of questions please!

Hi,

Over the next 9 weeks I wll be looking after one of my mindees ( who I only have after school) younger brother for 6 of the 9 weeks on a mon and tue. Do I still need to do a learning log/journal for him , while he is with me?
    Also on one day a week I look after a 7 month old little girl, I am really stuggling on what sort of obs can I do with her?

LOve minding and do all sorts with the children I look after but really do stuggle with this side of things.

Thanks

Jackie

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jackie,

You don't say how old he is, but I assume pre school age. If the six weeks is just a one off I think I would do a basic scrapbook style log for him, just noting at the beginning where he is at so you show that you have considered suitable toys, activities etc for him. You can then stick in photos, artwork and little notes over the 6 weeks. I wouldn't start a proper LJ.
    It would be a nice thing to give mum at the end, and looks professional.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, yes he is preschool, will be 4 in Nov.

I am glad you said this as this is what I was going to do with out all the linking stuff LOL
    I see him most weeks when he comes with mum to pick up his brother so he is used to seeing me. Mum has filled out an all about me form so yes I have an idea on what he does.
    I have a scrap book ready to add pics, note and yes of course all his art work

Any ideas on the 7 month old

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well in some ways it's great when they are tiny because they are learning new stuff all the time.

What does she do? Roll? Shuffle? Can you put things just out of reach to encourage her to move, and then crawl?
    How does she interact with you? Does she snuggle up for comfort, communicate her needs, understand and anticipate her routine? You can give her choices and see what and how she chooses.

Listen to her babbling and tone and see how she responds to your tone, and when she begins to understand and respond to simple words.

How does she explore objects? Touch, taste etc, give her different textures and materials and watch her investigate them, also lots of non-toy things to really stimulate her curiosity, and get her out in as many different environments as you can think of and see how she responds and what interests her.

Also how does she respond to things like music, other sounds, smells, or when something is different?

I don't know if any of this helps! Sorry if I got a bit carried away, I love doing obs for this age! x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Go back to the Development Matters guidance that comes with the EYFS and look at the age and stages information for the baby.

This will give you lots of ideas about activities you can plan, things you can do to support the baby etc.

Use this alongside your normal daily routines and lots of one-to-one and playtime (as I am sure you already do!!)

Hth