Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New EYFS help!

Registered Childminder since
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New EYFS help!

Hi, I am on maternity leave and preparing to start minding this summer and I thought I got my head around the old EYFS now I have to try to understand the new one?
    I know its a lot to ask but can anyone sum up the differences? It is quite overwhelming!

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

We are all in the same boat - Sarah will be compiling new ebooks and various people will be uploading documents into the free downloads on here. Most early years depts in at local councils will be putting on some sort of training so hopefully you won't be like a fish out of water. There is also here and Bromlely - try putting in a search on here to see what's available.
    Celest

Post Thanks / Like

There is some information in the free downloads section under free resources at the top of the forum.

Also have a look at this website

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/qu...age-framework/

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ask your local bods what training is available ... there are some changes but I'm sure you will be ok!

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi

i have a question which i cannot find an answer to. I am putting together my planning and observation sheets for the children for the new eyfs.

Do i plan and observe for all 7 areas for all ages of children or should i divide it into two seperate ones one for younger children under 2 years for example with the three prime areas and another one for children from aged two which also include the 4 specific areas as well.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    hi

i have a question which i cannot find an answer to. I am putting together my planning and observation sheets for the children for the new eyfs.

Do i plan and observe for all 7 areas for all ages of children or should i divide it into two seperate ones one for younger children under 2 years for example with the three prime areas and another one for children from aged two which also include the 4 specific areas as well.
    It goes like this...

Observations, assessments and planning for all children should focus on the prime areas of learning and development - because these are the areas considered most important for children as they prepare for school.

For the younger children, the specific areas of learning will be used to support their learning and development in the prime areas... so you read books and reflect on how the children are listening (Communication and language) for example.

As children get older and they are more secure in the prime areas, you will start using the specific areas more in their own right as areas of focus. So you read a book and start working on phonics, pointing out initial letters, involving children in thinking about the characters, role playing etc.

Does that make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    It goes like this...

Observations, assessments and planning for all children should focus on the prime areas of learning and development - because these are the areas considered most important for children as they prepare for school.

For the younger children, the specific areas of learning will be used to support their learning and development in the prime areas... so you read books and reflect on how the children are listening (Communication and language) for example.

As children get older and they are more secure in the prime areas, you will start using the specific areas more in their own right as areas of focus. So you read a book and start working on phonics, pointing out initial letters, involving children in thinking about the characters, role playing etc.

Does that make sense?
    Thanks for that Sarah. It makes sense but I'm still not sure how we will record obs for the different ages from September

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wend View Post
    Thanks for that Sarah. It makes sense but I'm still not sure how we will record obs for the different ages from September
    Record them in the same ways as you do now!

If you look at Development Matters for the younger children you will see it often refers you to the prime areas of learning...

So younger children look at snowflakes - which we would link to understanding the world - but also they are using language to talk about them...

They do some art work - which we link to art and design but they are expressing themselves as well which you can link to PSED...

Older children look at snowflakes and you talk about shape, size, uniqueness etc and maybe make some snowflakes with them and explore symmetry linking their explorations to maths...

Older children do some artwork and you talk about the shapes and sizes they have explored, the colours they have used, the way they have written letters from their name at the top.

It's just a matter of remembering the ages of the children - you have different expectations of them - your obs will reflect this.

The best thing you can do to start with is to get to know the Development Matters document really well for the age / stage of your children.

Once you understand how it works you will be able to refer observations to it much easier.