Help Please!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help Please!

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Please!

Hi all, not sure what to do about a recent situation.
    My husband and i care for 4 children during the day, one of which has just started nursery in the afternoons and
    the other 3 children all still require a sleep between 1.30-3pm. This wk I recieved a call from the parent of the child in nursery
    asking me to go down to the nursery and change him as he had soiled himself, I explained that all the other 3 children were sleeping
    so we couldn't go as it would mean waking one of the sleeping children to take with me because of ratios (we are registered for 2 children each).
    The mother was very cross that we wouldn't go, and complained that in future we will attend the nursery as she is paying us for a full day.

So, do I wake a sleeping child and therefore neglect there individual needs ??
    Or go and attend the needs of a soiled child in nursery???
    What to do????
    many thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nursery should not be calling someone to change a nappy - that is not meeting the child's needs and not being inclusive and frankly appalling that a child has to wait in a dirty nappy until someone gets there

Mum needs to tackle them on it and point out the Equality Act, and health and safety concerns.

However, if you are being paid for the time then yes you should be the one to go and change the child if that's the policy and you signed up for it - that's what you are being paid for.

Hopefully they will get their procedures sorted out and put the child's needs first

Hugs x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of a preschool doing this but not a nursery. Surely a nursery has the means to change a nappy or a child that has soiled pants.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I've heard of a preschool doing this but not a nursery. Surely a nursery has the means to change a nappy or a child that has soiled pants.
    Yes it does sound a little odd, child should have nappies and/or change of pants/clothes at nursery and they ought to be able to perform a nappy/pants change. I wonder what a parent would say if a childminder refused to change a nappy and called them over to do it (noone would hopefully!)

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

All the pre schools and nurseries round my area would change the child themselves, so surprised their not changing children. I charge while children are at pre school or nursery if I'm caring for the child for part of that day but I make it clear to parents I only pick up if there is a problem, asking a childminder to come and change nappy in our country area would mean the child was uncomfortable for far to long

Allie

apr1998
    Post Thanks / Like

our local playschool sometimes changes and sometimes not . It all depends what the children are doing , their thoughts are that they have allocated staff to different activities and this will leave the activity short if they have to change someone .
    I charge my parents if i take the children to playschool , so if i was to recceive a call from school i would go and change them . Parents who take their children to playschool but i collect i only charge from when i collect but then i would not go over to change if i had a phone call .

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing that as you have posted in the CSSIW section of the forum you are in Wales? I think sometimes pre-school/day nursery/ school nursery mean different things in different areas. In my area of Wales the Nursery is where you go after you have reached your 3rd birthday and ours is just another classroom in the school.

I can see it from both points of view. Our village playgroup will in the first instance call a parent to change a soiled nappy. Due to the nature of the building (whereabouts of the toilets) and child ratios they do not have the capacity to change nappies. If a parent could not get to the site within a short time then they would deal with it. School nursery is a similar situation and it is something the governors have just had to deal with as more and more children are entering the nursery class before being potty trained.

Is there any reason why you and your husband are only registered for 2 each? If I were in your situation and it was part of the requirement of the nursery for you to attend to change nappies I would request a variation from CSSIW for this particular instance. That way the 3 sleeping children could remain undisturbed with either yourself or your husband and the other one could attend the nursery.

As a parent I do think I would be annoyed in this situation so for future i would make it quite clear for other children who go off to nursery what you are prepared to do.

Hope you get it sorted