Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    reg apr
    Non childminder member
    reg childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default any advice welcome please asap

Hi all hope someone can advise me i have had 5 babies age range 5mth to 21months since opening, just had parent give notice for 21mth old as they have split up and mum is moving gutted got on so well she is now relocating nearer to work, on other hand one of my other parents has asked for those 3 days but this would mean on alternate wed and every thursday i would have 2x14mth and 1 13mth and wed 5mth and 2x14mth these children are very settled with me and my setting but would cssiw say no as to 3 under 18mth dont have anyone else in so no oldies, i am confident that they are manageable i was a deputy in a nursery so i am use to babies lol let me know asap as mum needs response i have emailed my inspector just waiting to hear back thanks everyone debbie xxx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

From recent experience Debbie it is very hit and miss and still very much subject to your own inspectors opinion!

I did have it confirmed to me earlier this week by a Chief Inspector from North West Wales that we no longer needed to complete variations forms but instead we should complete RA's, advise parents of our intentions and then simply send an updated statement of purpose which explains how you will manage your business with that mix of children. Theory is CSSIW then look at your amended SOP and only come back to you if they think there is a problem. HOWEVER my colleague called her inspector this week to confirm this and was told she still had to complete the variation form as before!!!!

Personally I would definitely give it a go. Sell yourself and your ability to manage this age group and show you have all the resources in place to manage it. Also stress the importance of continuity of care for these families.

Good luck xx

reg apr
    Non childminder member
    reg childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you manjay, as i said i have had these children from april, my inspector knew me from being a deputy in a local nursery so knows i am capable, the children are very settled and parents have no problems me caring for their children as i said all that changed is 21mth old leaving and 15 mth old who mixes on different days with the children will be with them 5 days in stead of 2 but i need to have it sorted by the 12th oct when little man leaves x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As Manjay says it is hit and miss with CSSIW.

My inspector granted me a variation but apparantly told another minder she does not believe in them so won't be granting them

It is worth a go. Explain how you will cope and highlight all your experience. Just keep ringing them as they work as slowly on variations as they do on registration

Good luck

reg apr
    Non childminder member
    reg childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

hi i thought a variation was applying to have more children say 4 instead of 3 under 3s i would still only be having 3 children per day except they will be all just under 18mths they have said i can have 6 so if i could cope with that many why not 3 and its only a alternate wed and a thurs the rest of the week is fine thanks debbie

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

You are still applying to vary the terms of your registration ie; no more than 2 under 18 months.

reg apr
    Non childminder member
    reg childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

oh i get it, is there a form i need to fill in i have emailed my inspector hoping to hear back on mon so would you just wait or send any paperwork to i need to do what would you suggest x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would speak to your inspector tomorrow to see how your office is dealing with variations. They may be like Manjay's inspector and be doing it that way or they may want the variation form filled in.

The variation form can be found here

Either way you will have to do risk assessments and change your Statement of Purpose to show the changes so that will keep you busy until tomorrow morning.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Any news on this Debbie?

When I met with CSSIW last week they were very anxious to recieve feedback from stakeholders. I feel like it is my duty to point out inconsistencies from inspectors across Wales to them

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok-now i'm worried...I've always been told it's 3 under 5's of which no more than 1 of those children can be under 12 months-not 18 months....have I got it wrong or has it changed?

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah-just realised u're in Wales-are the rules different there?

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by migimoo View Post
    Ah-just realised u're in Wales-are the rules different there?
    Yes we work to different standards and legislation

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    From recent experience Debbie it is very hit and miss and still very much subject to your own inspectors opinion!

I did have it confirmed to me earlier this week by a Chief Inspector from North West Wales that we no longer needed to complete variations forms but instead we should complete RA's, advise parents of our intentions and then simply send an updated statement of purpose which explains how you will manage your business with that mix of children. Theory is CSSIW then look at your amended SOP and only come back to you if they think there is a problem. HOWEVER my colleague called her inspector this week to confirm this and was told she still had to complete the variation form as before!!!!

Personally I would definitely give it a go. Sell yourself and your ability to manage this age group and show you have all the resources in place to manage it. Also stress the importance of continuity of care for these families.

Good luck xx
    This is interesting! Still have to fill in variation forms here But they are usually ok if its continuity of care which it is for you debbie. Hope you get it sorted

reg apr
    Non childminder member
    reg childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all well spoke with my inspector who responded with this If you admit 3 children under the age of 18 months you are not meeting National Minimum Standard 15.7. This has been written to provide clear guidance to childminders so that they can provide quality care for each of the children in their care. Minding more than 2 children under the age of 18 months could reduce the quality individual care you can provide.
    If you decide, nevertheless, to go ahead with your proposal you should provide the following information in the statement of purpose for the parents and CSSIW:
    A statement that you are minding 3 children under the age of 18 months on Wednesdays and Thursdays, which is not compliant with the National Minimum Standard 15.7 and that you mind no other older children on those days. You should also add the reason for this decision and the fact that this will be for 5 months only until the children reach the age of 18 months
    A description of how you can care for these 3 young children and how you will take them off the premises for walks, trips etc ( whether in the car or in a triple buggy etc.)

When you have amended the statement of purpose you must give copies to each of the parents using your service and send a copy to the CSSIW unsure of what to do really would insurance cover me if i am not complying i have sorted the wed out as 1 mum has moved her baby to tues which is great so it would only be thurs not sure i would feel comfortable with not complying debbie xx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess on that basis then everytime I have had a variation in the past I have not been complying with the NMS. I think they have to be mnidful of their advice as the onus has now shifted much more on to the provider.

I have now spoken to 5 different childminders (all with inspectors based in the same office in Llandudno) and each has been given a different story!! I have decided to follow their new procedure (as confirmed by the Chief Inspector) and I will be sending my amended statement of purpose for a variation in this week. I will let you know how I get on

reg apr
    Non childminder member
    reg childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

ok manjay im a bit miffed as i am losing money i dont seem to get children over 3 as i dont driv, every enquiry has been for babies under 18mth so at the min i have 2 a day so i am turning work away, let me know how you get on xx