Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Variation??

Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Variation??

Hi all,

I currently have two mindees that are going to be starting school at Easter. (full time school). Both mums have asked that I collect them from school every day then. This will take me over my numbers, I currently have two after schoolies three days a week, and three after schoolies two days a week. Can I get a variation considering it is continuity of care, they are just going into the next age bracket with me? I dont see how I am going to be able to choose between the children and let one family down when the children have been with me since I started. It would mean that on two days a week I would have five after schoolies under the age of 8. Do you think they would grant this? x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you have no other children under 8 years you do not need a variation as you can have up to 6 under 8 including your own (they do not have to be 3 under & 3 over 5 but this would restrict your income). If it would take you over 6 under 8 you would be very unlikely to get a variation as it is in the National Minimum Standards that childminders do not go over 6 under 8 years.

You could ring and ask you inspector but a local childminder to me same county as you has just been told that she cannot have 4 under 5s one day a week despite not caring for any over 5s!

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tulip. I may be ok three days a week as I only have two under 5s. Will have to have a sit down and work it all out. Going to find it so hard to have to tell the parents that although I have been looking after their little ones so far, when they start school I wont be able to collect them. But hey, rules are rules.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the years this very situation has made me very wary in regard to the ages of children I take on. There is no after school facility in my village so children that I have cared for would automatically expect to stay in my care. there are occasions when I do have too many in the 5-8 catergory which in turn restricts the numbers of pre-schoolers I can have. I get around this by offering LA places which go home before 3.

As Tulip says you don't need a variation as long as you stay to the maximum of 6. Anything other than this is very rarely allowed. You just have to hope one of them turns 8 soon