Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Recommendations

Registered Childminder since
    Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Recommendations

Hi i'm not even sure if this is the right place to be asking this but was unsure where to go. I had my CSSIW Pre inspection visit back in March and everything went fab. The recommendation i had off my inspector was to Increase range of toys, resources and equipment for older children. Before i rush out and buy things i was wondering what people would recommend that there older children enjoy doing/ using. At the moment i only have 4 children and these are all under 2.5 years. So just after a little bit of advice i was thinking of Lego but any other suggestions will be greatly received.
    Thanks

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have some board games, lego, brio train track, books, Top trump games, larger sized dressing up.

TBH they often play with the same stuff as the younger ones buggies, dolls, messy play, cars, cooking, arts and crafts etc

Don't go and buy loads that you don't need - If you see something in the charity shop or boot sale or a friend offers stuff get it and collect bits as you go. When you get older children then you canask them what they like and shop accordingly.

I try to pick up things that could be multicultural in the same way

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How strange that they want to hold toys for children you do not have! I have older children only (and all my baby equipment in in the attic) and they enjoy lego, felt tips/scissors/glue/paper/shapes to stick, dressing up (charity shop stuff so they can use their imagination), board games and books.

I too wouldn't get too much to begin with - its only going to be sat around the house until you start to work with older children.

In the garden they enjoy footballs, hula hoops and a slide (I was given second hand).

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have resources for the children I currently care for to follow their interests etc.

I have limited space so there's no way I would buy things 'just in case'.

Would a 'wish list' solve your problem? Write a list of the things you would resource for older children should you take any on.

Hth

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know you operate differently in Wales but is your pre-inspection visit carried out by a DO? If so, I would follow Sarah's advice of a wish list to show you have given the matter some thought but not actually spend any money on equipment you don't need at this stage.

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

My pre registration visit was carried out by a CSSIW inspector. I still have £50 left of my local authorities grant which must be used for my cssiw recommendations.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bridey View Post
    I know you operate differently in Wales but is your pre-inspection visit carried out by a DO? If so, I would follow Sarah's advice of a wish list to show you have given the matter some thought but not actually spend any money on equipment you don't need at this stage.
    The pre-reg inspection is by the CSSIW inspector and she will expect to see that a childminder will have taken on board what she has said when she returns for the next inspection within a year of registration. A wish list may be OK but I would still get a few bits from charity shops or friends just to have something physical to show. It is nearly always the same inspector as pre-reg visit and they note what they have said in a file and do check when they come out again. Mine looked for cat food as I had told her it wouldn't be there when I had mindees! And you have a 3 month inspection window so you can't just borrow something for a week when it's due.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Id start to look in charity shops and carboots for a few things - lego , older puzzles / games / books knex , hama beads , whatever you see which is a bargain really! Absolutely no point in spending £50 on imaginary children you may never get!

Post Thanks / Like

hiya.. lego, and any construction toys, books, drawing/ craft items, mine like science things ie how it works etc