I was given these ideas on an outdoor course I went to recently - just thought I would share!

leaf pile - work together to collect leaves to make a pile then take turns to jump in it1

sorting leaves by size

leaf washing line - peg different leaves on a line

leaf soup - fill a bucket of water and stir in torn up leaves using a stick - mud optional!!

leaf juice - crush leaves in a yogurt pot to release sap to make 'perfume' or 'ink'

get to know your leaf - have a leaf discussion...is yours smooth or rough? are there holes or bumps? Put leaves in a hat or bag give them a shape - can everyone find their leaf again?

leaf prints - use mud paint to paint underside of leaf and print on paved surface or paper

leaf threading- use string or shoelace and thread leaves onto it. Hang from trees or bushes to make a nice display.

leaf patterns - clear a space and make pictures on the floor with leaves and other objects. cna you make a leaf square? circle? etc.

leaf pinata - attach a length of string to the bottom of a cereal pack and another one to the top. Fill the box with leaves. Throw the string attached to the bottom over a branch to hoist box up and secure. Pull the other string to release the leaves.

leaf worms - stuff old tights with leaves

leaf crowns - use card and double sided sticky tape to stick leaves to and make crowns with.

leaf rubbing - use wax crayons to make rubbings of a leaf

leaf canopy - lie on your back and look up!!

life in dead leaves - look for minibeasts

life in living leaves - give some bushes a shake and see what creatures drop out

leaf camouflage - camouflage a big box with leaves to make a bird hide or a den

hungry caterpillars leaf - hide some caterpillars (short bits of thick wool) when the children have all found one they need to look for a leaf big enough for their caterpillar.

leaf shades - stick double sided tape along a paint colour chart of green/brown shades. Find leafs to match the colours.

leaf snap - find 5 different types of leaves and put 4 of each type in a bag for each player. Draw out a leaf and see if the children can match it.

leaf boats - float leaves in a bowl or puddle. How many bits of gravel can it carry?

ENJOY!!