Thread: After Schoolers

Registered Childminder since
    july 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After Schoolers

Bit long winded this I am sorry ...

I just wondered if you had any ideas for me for after schoolers especially now the weather is improving. I have always found when they can play out in the garden it is much easier, however, last night was a nightmare. Two of the boys I mind are now 7 and went to play out with 3 year old (brother to one) and 9 year old sister to other. One of the boys is very tall etc for his age, same size as my 10 year old. Most of my garden toys are for under 5's ish, the usual plastic playhouses, little tikes bubble cars, sit n ride cars, etc. I have a climbing frame and slide on grass but still filthy from winter and grass still really muddy so just let them on decking which is a large area. However, they are so rough and were getting in / on cars that are much too small for them, bashing them into each, kicking balls against patio doors, playing guns and generally being really aggressive. In fact the older 2 wound up the 3 year old so much he one of them with a bat! Obviously I spoke to him about it but to be fair they had goaded him so much he didnt know what was play and what was real. I asked them several times to tone down play but feel like I am always saying no. They like to play football but although we have quite a large garden it is on the edge of a cliff (fenced in!) and last year they must have kicked at least a dozen balls over never to be seen again. I really am beginning to dread them being outside. I can just see me having no toys left by the end of summer, and the noise they were making ....

Anyway just a bit of a moan there but any ideas. Never really had a problem in the 12 years I have minded but it is the first time I have had so many boys especially older ones. I dont want to spend the entire summer saying no .:

Oh and Im not keen on this gun/shooting each play .. at least not the way they were ... i bet I am going to get shouted down for that one, but just seems so aggressive and I dont think appropriate when littlies around.

Thanks for any ideas

Shelley

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: After Schoolers

Have you room for something like a swing ball set, the ball's will not go over the fence and they can 'play' together,,,,,, and if you set up a scoring system best of 5 or 11 or something they can have a game.... Do you have room for a basket ball hoop, (or a free standing netball hoop) ?
    God Bless xx T

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

find some plastic boxes and ask them to find as many bugs as they can and give a treat? for the winner

or something to that effect
    One life live it

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

another idea ,....

do you have room for them to have their own garden space and have a 'garden in bloom' competition or 'biggest marrow' competition something they have to work on for a few months...?

a treasure hunt, get an old box of wooden blocks and hide them all over the garden get one to find all the green, one the blue etc and have a race...?

i'll keep thinking! xx
    God Bless xx T

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

what about chalking or painting the fence with paint brushes and water
    One life live it

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

would we get into trouble if they washed the windows or the car ?
    God Bless xx T

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tina O View Post
    would we get into trouble if they washed the windows or the car ?
    nope providing it is serving a purpose to the child and following their interests mainly for those in the EYFS ....

hmm where does glass come from
    how do soap suds form
    what happens when the window gets spalshed
    can you reach the windows on the car?
    how many windows

wow maths, literacy, pyshical, creativity, science, lol hmm might jut plan an activity for monday as my car is so dirty!
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!