how can i incorporate activities into a theme for a 6/7 month old.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how can i incorporate activities into a theme for a 6/7 month old.

Hi I new to childminding I began last week with a 6 month old boy. I already have a 2 year old daughter. For these first couple of weeks as he is so young, he isn't in a routine and it was sprung upon me we have just been getting used to each other and helping him settle in. Anyway I have a couple of questions, I have so many ideas of things to do with my daughter and older toddlers/children but I don't really know what to do with the baby apart from rattles, songs, treasure basket, books, walks. Any suggestions? Also how can I plan activities that suit both the baby and a 2 yo? And last one, when I'm doing my planning for a theme how can I plan activities for a baby? E.g. I was gonna do Chinese new year and have ideas for toddlers but nothing for a baby? Do you just look after a baby like you would your own or must you plan specific activities as he's so young? Sorry that was so long. Thanks in advance.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldnt dream of planning for one so young - everything for this lo has to be for his benefit and CNY isnt. He will get absolutely nothing out of it.

His progress to me is sitting up, reaching for toys, crawling, walking eyc.

I would think treasure baskets, storytimes (which you could incoropate your theme into if you really want), any sensory play, music and nursery rhymnes.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes sarah707, The Juggler liked this post
    Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. What you said was initially what I thought but my Childminding coordinator told me I was wrong and must plan activities around a theme and plan multicultural activities or ofsted will strike me off! I have since been worried about this but I should've stuck to my guns! After all I have experience of babies and had my own yet she hasn't worked with or had children.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Themes are excellent for older children who need some structure in their days and love learning about new things - you can introduce them to world events, special celebrations, festivals etc and take their learning in lots of different directions.

Here is some of my themed planning for the older children - mostly over 3s - which I used a little while ago -

Our January group planning

As FussyElmo says, little ones need us to provide them with individual planning which leads directly from their interests and learning styles

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pandaeyes View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What you said was initially what I thought but my Childminding coordinator told me I was wrong and must plan activities around a theme and plan multicultural activities or ofsted will strike me off! I have since been worried about this but I should've stuck to my guns! After all I have experience of babies and had my own yet she hasn't worked with or had children.
    Just always remember that you coordinator is there to give advice and then you can choose to ignore it
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

7. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help it just knocked my confidence a bit I'll carry on what I have been doing then I knew I was right . After all I do love this job!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Just always remember that you coordinator is there to give advice and then you can choose to ignore it
    .... just remember your coordinator may be an ex-CM who lost her last client when she tried to do an astrophysics theme for a 6 month old.

I would challenge her to produce evidence that any CM has been "struck off" for the reasons she stated.

Btw, Ofsted want us to reflect the child's own culture and community first before we look at the wider world. I think they're getting sick of the approach where we all have a 'token' black doll, plus Diwali and Chinese New Year.

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I new to childminding I began last week with a 6 month old boy. I already have a 2 year old daughter. For these first couple of weeks as he is so young, he isn't in a routine and it was sprung upon me we have just been getting used to each other and helping him settle in. Anyway I have a couple of questions, I have so many ideas of things to do with my daughter and older toddlers/children but I don't really know what to do with the baby apart from rattles, songs, treasure basket, books, walks. Any suggestions? Also how can I plan activities that suit both the baby and a 2 yo? And last one, when I'm doing my planning for a theme how can I plan activities for a baby? E.g. I was gonna do Chinese new year and have ideas for toddlers but nothing for a baby? Do you just look after a baby like you would your own or must you plan specific activities as he's so young? Sorry that was so long. Thanks in advance.
    Hi, I have found some gr8 ideas from pin interest ESP for my younger children the older children always enjoy them too. Some very simple sensory ideas and what i call natural play ideas babies like posting so provide shoe box with hole n different textures 'balls' scrunched up foil sml blown up balloon (pls RA) and a odd ball pool ball - lots on edible finger paint recipes etc it all goes in the mouth anyway.

****** is also very gd with activity in each area n age group

Enjoy xT

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tori4 View Post
    Hi, I have found some gr8 ideas from pin interest ESP for my younger children the older children always enjoy them too. Some very simple sensory ideas and what i call natural play ideas babies like posting so provide shoe box with hole n different textures 'balls' scrunched up foil sml blown up balloon (pls RA) and a odd ball pool ball - lots on edible finger paint recipes etc it all goes in the mouth anyway.

****** is also very gd with activity in each area n age group

Enjoy xT
    I like Pinterest - here is a link to my Sensory ideas for children page

Art and sensory play for children.

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I love pinterest I've got so many idea from there if there are any more boards anyone recommends that'd be great :-) .

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I love pinterest I've got so many idea from there if there are any more boards anyone recommends that'd be great :-) .

A very good one is Growing a Jeweled Rose (JeweledRose) on Pinterest